Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
Lift Off
Regular User

Default [VIDEO] Impreza crash at a UK trackday

See it for yourselves:

http://www.bzz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scoobycrash2004.wmv

In my opinion the guy didn't want to drift around that bend.
He just starts to brake too late, the car oversteers and he doesn't know very well how to deal with it. He didn't undo the opposite-lock (or accelerate) and ended up against the wall.

I feel a bit sorry for him.
Fortunately, it looks like there was no big damage and no one got hurt.
Lift Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #2
sikx5
Regular User

what a shame.....poor guy....someone should give him a copy of the drift bible.

It looks like he didnt pull the handbrake either....just came in way too fast?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:52 PM   #3
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

this month's sport compact car magazine has pictures of another impreza that hit the wall and set itself on fire. its on the last page if you wana see it and have a moment of silence.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
sads
Regular User

The guys lucky he had a side impact, if that was head on it would of been huge
sads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:34 AM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

Hope he had insurance for trackdriving.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Originally Posted by sikx5
what a shame.....poor guy....someone should give him a copy of the drift bible.
Haha so true, many a night has been spent watrching the holy guide to drifting..
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
360modena
Regular User

One more time, it leave on right, he turn on left, stay too late wheels turned
and finally finish on the walls. I think he should take driving lessons because this
case is very classical and easy to pass successfully (in add with a 4-whells drive
like imprezza it's piece of cake).
360modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
jon_s
Regular User

Not too much damage!! New front bumper, new bonnet, new door mirror, new front wing, new front door, new rear door, new rear wing, which goes up and over the doors, new front wheel, new front light! The light alone cost £500!!

Possible bent wish bones e.t.c That will be a hefty claim!

I feel sorry for the bloke who crashed. You can see the point where he should be unwinding the lock. Top marks for taking the car on the track though. Hope it got sorted!

What annoyed me was the crowd cheering when it hit the wall. Obviously don't give a shit.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
coombsie66
Regular User

Thats at castle-coombe the local track to me at home.
Wat an absolute bellend for trying to drift round the final turn. Plus castle coombe is not a forgiving circuit, yes it has tire walls, on this corner and the sharp right at the end of the pit straight, once ur on the grass hitting sumthing is pretty inevitable.
I dont think he realised it was gunna get that sideways, bricked it whislt at full opposite lock and got his arms tied toether!!
This is why i dont wanna take my car to any trackdays, sum dick trying to drft will collect you whilst having his own accident. :roll:
Old 05-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
Lift Off
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
Not too much damage!! New front bumper, new bonnet, new door mirror, new front wing, new front door, new rear door, new rear wing, which goes up and over the doors, new front wheel, new front light! The light alone cost £500!!

Possible bent wish bones e.t.c That will be a hefty claim!

I feel sorry for the bloke who crashed. You can see the point where he should be unwinding the lock. Top marks for taking the car on the track though. Hope it got sorted!

What annoyed me was the crowd cheering when it hit the wall. Obviously don't give a shit.
Yeah, the crowd annoyed me too. Sad people...

Anyway, when I say that it looked like there was not too much damage, I was thinking in an eventual head on crash, which would be a lot more expensive I guess. My bad. Obviously that repair won't be cheap either.
Lift Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #11
Squeek
Regular User

damn that looked kinda stupid what the guy did. i bet he was pushing the car too far and didnt mean to drift. i think thatd be a simple drift to get out of though, but i feel sorry for him. maybe he shud go drift skewl!? hehehe. but the crowds are dicks for doing that.

*I LOVE JW!!! hehehe*
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #12
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Yeah, he definately got caught by surprise, he came in way too fast, lifted off the throttle and the rear of the car got light and oversteered. As a natural reaction he countersteered (as would most people) but didn't steer back in time. Without a lot of experience it's hard to tell when the car will grip again (and the wheels should be straight) so he had a classical tankslapper.

On another note, if he would've steered back in time, that would've been an awesome drift. 8)
Old 05-29-2004, 08:18 AM   #13
coombsie66
Regular User

Yeah, if he'd have been in control it would have been impressive! He pretty much did the worst thing possible though, if hed have realised he had run out of time to wind the lock off, and not tried to last minute he would have just dun a dainty 360 and missed the tyrewall!
Old 05-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #14
Volcane
Regular User

Wow! he has a controlled powerslide for a few seconds...but he didn't steer well at the end...and the wall was there to stop him...pity for him...was a beautiful wrx.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #15
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

He was doing all right until it snapped back. He over corrected. I feel sorry for him. Good to see someone on the track with a car like that. I dont see why everyone cheered though.

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
1/4 [email protected] ([email protected] altitude corrected.)
NEEDS TO BE FASTER! Changing a couple things and hoping for low 16's next time.
Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529151/1
SilviaS15Cwest is offline   Reply With Quote