Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #31
gis
Regular User

lol,this place isnt bad,not at all.i guess a lot of the core member TT was talkin about,we just get a little on edge when we see all of a sudden a bunch of new members then hundreds of new posts,i think we all know there are the odd few new members who are genuinly here for the forums and would like the videos if they are up as a bonus.i cant begin to understand how busy jabba,TT and fishfreek have been the past couple days about all this.

but i do apologise if u thought i was bein harsh with a couple replys earlier,i guess you do want to be involved witht he forums,and i apologise if i came off a little strong

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:32 AM   #32
PATo355
Regular User

Brembo got the point , we want more members of course , this is all about diversity of points of view , we get richers of knowledge discutting with more people .

But is not ok if someone gets here and post in 5 topics asking where are the videos , i always try to help the new members even if they request pictures of a common car , but spamming the site just would get that ppl get angry with the newbies that do that ... , you are coming into a community and you can read a little and find out how the things work , do not spam the topics . This is a lovely community , there are Core members obviously , most of them keep the forum alive , the point is stop bitching and if you dont like our community you can leave , try to find such nice people and such nice videos in another community ... i wish you luck doing it ...

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:21 AM   #33
geekdiggy
Regular User

Originally Posted by doyle
I am a reader and not a poster. I have been on Rennlist for over 3 years and have just about 250 posts total and I check it everyday. Same goes for JW, I check this site nearly everyday, but I don't feel the need to comment on every post usually because by the time I have a comment, someone has already posted something similar and I don't see any need in posting the same thing.
this was actually the first type of cliche excuse i expected to see. i've been tapping into my psychic powers lately

haha, visit-based access. what a joker

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:30 AM   #34
geekdiggy
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
you are the problem with this forum.
no but actually, people like me are what keep this forum afloat. we understand the rules, we understand how much work and time and money gets put into this site by the admins, and i think i have EVERY right to single out leechers, newbies, and/or postwhores. can you blame me for being annoyed with other members who suddenly start posting their ass off just to get vids? why should they get for free what we had to contribute for? people like that are the reason this site crashes, or overload the server til the video vault gets shot to shit. and if you've put as much contribution into this site as the some of the earlier members have, then you'd understand the frustration of having to deal with a wave of postwhoring vidsnatchers who make up excuses or complain when they don't get what they want. ok my earlier comment was directed more at uncovered leechers than new MEMBERS, but your aggressive comment toward me must've been triggered by a guilty conscience, which tells me something about what YOU had in mind when you first registered here.

so sure, call me an elitest, i feel quite comfortable on my high horse. but don't blame me if people start singling out newbies and/or leechers if things go haywire with the server

Old 12-18-2003, 10:28 AM   #35
doyle
Regular User

Originally Posted by geekdiggy
this was actually the first type of cliche excuse i expected to see. i've been tapping into my psychic powers lately
Gee, you got me pegged huh?

The reality is that this is a relatively new site and it takes a while for people to find it. Top Gear/5th Gear videos are always popular and I would be willing to bet the a good majority of the people here have found their way following some sort of video link. Did I download some videos? Yes. Did I enjoy them? Yes. Does not being able to download them now stop me from visiting the forums? Obviously not.

The reality of the situation is that I do a lot of reading and listening and not too much posting or talking. You can call it a cliche, I call it what I do. I check JW from work and don't have a whole lot of time for typing and replying. If I feel I can truly add to a topic, then I will make the time, but if my reply is just a reiteration of another reply I won't take up the space and waste other readers time.

This is a lively forum and interesting to visit. I just hope it continues that way. Scepticism of new users is normal in any forum. People will prove themselves over time, but don't automatically assume that every new user has the time or ability to post meaningful responses to posts many times a day.

doyle
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:18 PM   #36
Ivanhoe
Regular User

ironic thing is they probably won't even read this thread
Old 12-18-2003, 05:29 PM   #37
godspeed06
Regular User

but i do apologise if u thought i was bein harsh with a couple replys earlier,i guess you do want to be involved witht he forums,and i apologise if i came off a little strong
and i apologize for attacking everyone.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #38
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
"who are you to judge our motives?
I am Jabba. I privately finance Jabbasworld in order to keep it advert, spam and membership free.

The downside of this is I guess that I have to set rules that I think are in the best interests of the entire community mainly based on server hardware limitations.

I am sorry that you do not like the way we run things here and I hope you eventually do find what you are looking for elsewhere if you wish to leave Jabbas World.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:23 PM   #39
godspeed06
Regular User

ouch... looks like i just pissed off the man in charge. no, i wasn't attacking you personally, i meant "you" as in anyone who was judging. i don't want to leave jabbas world. if i wanted to leave why would i have signed up? i haven't even gotten a video from this site yet. i understand the need to set rules, i was just a little mad about the double edged sword thing. where if we did what we were supposed to do we got blasted for it. i know that this is probably the best way of doing this while still keeping the site free. and i hope sometime i will be able to experience all that the site has to offer while still participating in the threads.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:37 PM   #40
Jabba
Regular User

We have upgraded the server many times to try and keep up with the level of demand. It was my intention to make all the videos available for all registered members to download for free and this was indeed the case for the first two weeks when we moved onto the new server. Although we were coping with the bandwidth (1 TB per month) the server resources were getting exhausted and causing the forums to crash.

Therefore if left like that then there would be no Jabbasworld at all. I am not sure what will be happening in the future but for now I'm afraid this is the way it has to be.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:02 AM   #41
jakaracman
Regular User

I guess the problem is that most new (or "low post") members want everything, including D/L accees quick if not imediately. My post count isn't that high, been member for 1/2 year, had D/L access, lost it, got it back after a while, an over again. It's the way it works. You don't have to post a lot, not even every day. Sonner or later you notice that you are a regular on the forum. And the admins notice that, be sure.
So: take it easy, be patient and enjoy!
Old 12-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #42
doyle
Regular User

Good Point jakaracman, patience always pays off in the end.

doyle
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #43
geekdiggy
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
We have upgraded the server many times to try and keep up with the level of demand. It was my intention to make all the videos available for all registered members to download for free and this was indeed the case for the first two weeks when we moved onto the new server. Although we were coping with the bandwidth (1 TB per month) the server resources were getting exhausted and causing the forums to crash.

Therefore if left like that then there would be no Jabbasworld at all. I am not sure what will be happening in the future but for now I'm afraid this is the way it has to be.
a pointer if i may: you don't owe anybody an explanation 8)