Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default A1 GP

I never heard of this...sounds like it might be worth a drive to check out? I just glanced at the website, so I don't really know much about it...

http://www.a1gp.com

A1 Team USA Announces Bryan Herta to race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca March 12, 2006

California’s Bryan Herta will pilot the “We the People” car for A1 Team USA for the first-ever visit to the United States by the A1 Grand Prix of Nations at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca March 10 - 12, 2006.

A1 Grand Prix, the World Cup of Motorsport, is in its inaugural season pitting nation against nation on road courses around the world. Each nation competes in identical open-wheel race cars with points accumulated during two races on Sunday, a 30 – Minute Sprint Race, which starts at 1:30 PM (PST) and a 60-minute Feature Race, beginning at 3:00 PM (PST).

This will be Herta’s third time competing for Team USA. He placed tenth and seventh in the A1 Grand Prix of Nations in Australia and Malaysia, respectively. Herta expects to combine his knowledge of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with the recent momentum of A1 Team USA as the Team has placed in the top-ten in four of the last six A1 Grand Prix races.

“I am proud to represent the United States,” said Herta. “I have heard from several of my peers who are amongst the quickest road course drivers in the world and they too will be representing their countries at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. A1 Grand Prix is fast becoming known for delivering a most competitive brand of racing, due to the fact that the cars are identical in chassis and engine. I expect that this is going to be a particularly exciting weekend.”

A1 Team USA Owner Rick Weidinger is pleased that Herta will be competing in what is shaping up to be one of the most challenging weekends in the World Cup of Motorsports series.

“Bryan has an excellent history at Laguna Seca and is now familiar with the ‘We the People’ car and A1 race format. We welcome him back as he adds value to the team in more ways then just racing” said Weidinger. “I know how much it means to him to compete at the highest levels and we look forward to his success for Team USA on March 12.”

Herta, who captured third at the Indianapolis 500 this past May in addition to his victory at Michigan International Speedway, placed 7th overall in the Indy Racing League IndyCar standings for 2005. Herta was a dominant force at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca from 1996 through 1999 in the Champ Car World Series. He earned three consecutive poles at the Monterey Grand Prix from ’97 – ’99, won the race in ’98 and ’99 and started and finished second in ’96.

Ticket Availability

Tickets are on sale now for the A1 Grand Prix of Nations™ March 10-12 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Call 1.800.327.SECA (7332) or buy online at www.laguna-seca.com or www.a1gp.com.

About A1 Team USA:

For more information on A1 Team USA, please visit the team’s website at www.a1teamusa.com. A1 Team USA can be watched on television on OLN and live on the Internet at www.A1GP.com.

2006 Schedule

March 10-12 ● A1 Grand Prix of Nations ● www.A1GP.com

May 5-7 ● U.S. Sports Car Invitational featuring the Rolex Grand American Sports Car Series ● www.GrandAmerican.com

July 21-23 ● Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix featuring the MotoGP World Championship ● www.RedBullUSGP.com

August 18-20 ● Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races featuring the Cooper Marque ● www.MontereyHistoric.com

October 20-22 ● Monterey Sports Car Championships featuring the American Le Mans Series ● www.AmericanLeMans.com
Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
black_magician
Regular User

If anyone has an iPod, there's an interesting podcast on A1GP. covers the rules, teams, and recaps races.
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

I watched a couple last year - it was pretty exciting. The drivers is an interesting mix of a few veterans (Jos Vestappen, Bryan Herta) and mostly young guns - so lots of mistakes, passing, accidents, etc.

The French team was really dominant.

For US viewers, it is broadcast on OLN Channel.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
sameerrao
Regular User

^^ True ... I just mentioned that I watched a few races last year. I saw the one in Indonesia this year and I think next week there is one in Mexico

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Nah - it's like the UN for auto racing - apart from the drivers and a few team managers owners, the rest are nade up of politcally motivates "appointments"with regard to the "3rd world" country teams...

I saw a few races, and they were ok (a little better than the F1 proscession) but it seems like a still borne formula.. "Natioanl based racing" without huge manufacturer incentives will never work.

Ford vs Ferrari vs Kia vs Holden vs Volvo would work way better - and ultimatley be more exciting - hey - just like say, WRC
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
Zot09
Regular User

:bad-words: I'm going back home a week after that event is over...dammit...*sigh* Is there any way I can watch this on the Internet or TV?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Mattk
Regular User

My dad likes the A1 series. It was created by some prince in Dubai, and runs during the F1 off-season.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Stikz
Regular User

Didn't they do a feature on it for 5th gear? With Plato i think?
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Svensson
Regular User

^ Yep, that was the Fifth Gear episode from 04-04-2005.

I've seen every A1GP-race so far, and I think it has a lot of close action racing and overtaking that F1 has been lacking the last 5 or ten years or so. Of course the cars are not as fast as F1 cars - watch this after you've just seen an F1 race and you'll really see the difference - but it's still very exciting to watch equally powerful cars battling with eachother!

Also, keep an eye out for Jos Verstappen. The Dutch team are finally starting to get comfortable and competitive, so I'm expecting a few more podium rankings from them...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
Stikz
Regular User

Thats cool, i don't think they show A1GP in Canada do they?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Svensson
Regular User

^ Well, since there is no Canadese team participating in A1GP, I'm afraid not...
Old 03-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
Toronto
Regular User

^^^ yes there is http://canada.a1gp.com/
and it is canadian you fool...
Old 03-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
Stikz
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson
^ Well, since there is no Canadese team participating in A1GP, I'm afraid not...
lol, i love it
Old 03-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
Svensson
Regular User

Canadian! ops:
Old 03-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #15
sameerrao
Regular User

Stan - I think A1 GP is going to Laguna next week ... are you going to see it????

Anyone else planning to go. I wish it happened last year - I would have been all over it.