Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
coombsie66
Regular User

Default Help fellow engineers/CAD users!!

Right, i need to draw out some internal Involute Splines in a hub design i have in Solid Works 3D drawing program. I only need a 2D DXF representation of the splines to be able to transfer them to my model.
There are programs out there that do a DXF output for the specified data inputs, such as GearTrax.
GearTrax has a free trial, which i have been trying to use, but it wont let me!

So can anyone help me in how to draw involute splines, i have all the details and specifications of the splines, PCD internal Exteral diameters etc.

Anyone drawn involute splines before? Or know how to? Or have a program that does it for you!?!?

Any help would be gratefully recieved, as i need this drawing done ASAP to send the workpiece off to ge the splines wire eroded.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
jon_s
Regular User

LOL! That was like reading another language! :shock:
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
koliordos

not 100% sure but maybe Deth might know how... or at least I know he uses some of those types of programs
Old 01-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
coombsie66
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
LOL! That was like reading another language! :shock:
Haha, well the warning's in the title!

My group's CAD monkey (otherwise known as my housemate) thinks he can do em, but its gunna take a while.
Thanks for the replies guys, i may cive Deth a PM!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
deth
Regular User

sorry, havent worked with splines b4, but this looks like a pretty easy and FREE prog to use. what kinda of spline exactly do u want? if u can't find nething to do u u could always do one tooth and make it a circular pattern, but thats a lot of work

http://quickgear.bizland.com/id9.html
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
coombsie66
Regular User

^^ Yeah, ive got that program DL'd already! Unfortunately it doesnt actually give you a drawing, which is the one thing i need!
I have every parameter i need, so it should be easy to draw, if i knew how!!!! Oh well, we'll see what happens.
Cheers for the help.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Wutputt
Regular User

I never had to draw splines before in CAD and never use Solid Works before. So I can't really help you. But doesn't your CAD-progam has some help feature? If I don't know how to do something in a more complicated computer prog I use the help feature and try to do a search. Sometimes this works and the help feature has a nice description of the stuff I'm looking for.

Or does your CAD program has the ability to import Matlab m-scripts? If that's possible you may just make your spline in Matlab or use the Matlab Spline Toolbox and import the Matlab spline into the CAD program.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
gottacatchup
Regular User

I know how to use the standard AutoCAD and Inventor for 3D and 2D stuff but i have no idea how to do what you're asking.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
coombsie66
Regular User

Right, no worries guys, i finally got it done today, a very kind man called steve who i think ownes one of these software sites that draws these gears sorted me out with the files i needed.
It did then take about 3 hours to eventually integrate them into our design model, but it appears to be done!! WOHO.