Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Apac102
Regular User

Default IPOD HELP!

So my ipod is being a bitch with it skipping and freezing on songs alot. But the major problem Im having is that my ipod won't recognize my computer anymore so Itunes will never bring it up. I can't add/delete songs to it. WHen I plug it in, I hear my computer make a "Ding" sound, so I know the computer recognizes it but it won't show up on itunes. And when I wait a long time, an Autoplay screen pops up saying it trying to find something....not sure what.

So if there is anyone out there that is a whiz with ipods, help me out please....I kinda miss my ipod :cry:
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
TNT
Regular User

try updating your Itunes and Ipod software first. and then i would take the Ipod to a Mac store and have them take a look at it.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
MIHALS
Regular User

sounds like the hdd is "kaput"

try to ask guys on www.ipodwizard.net - its a huge page about ipods
Old 08-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
Pimp Racer
Regular User

In fact I am a Ipod wiz! Actually when it comes to computers I am sorta a wiz...as well as cars and bitches too! Anyways what gen Ipod you have? I got a Video Ipod with IPL and Rockbox running on it. Pretty sweet when I am on long trips and if I aint drivin I can be playin Tetris or Mario or sum shit like that! Also DOOM! With unbelievable graphics!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
godspeed06
Regular User

on ilounge.com i heard of one guy who took his apart and then just shook it. when he put it back together again it worked perfectly. i looked for the thread but couldnt find it. go over there and ask around, maybe someone can provide the link.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Apac102
Regular User

The Gen of my ipod is .....oh I don't know...Its the black and white screen with the click wheel ...Its 20g and I got it new about 2 years ago. If you could tell me whats going on with it that would be great pimp racer
Old 08-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Try reboot. Press menu and Center button. do this then run the batteries down all the way, then plug it into the computer. Let charge for an hour and then open up Ipod Restore program and Click the second option RESTORE! DONT UPDATE! NOTICE THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING OFF THE IPOD MUSIC AND ALL! After this put a few songs on if they work fine then congrats. Sorry but I am limited on time rite now. I will be more avaible in a few hours though. Does it make any noise or get very hot. Does it come up with a folder icon and a sad smilie face? If then those are symptons that the ipod is going bad. But dont worry there are ways to fix this. As I said I will help you out more later on tonite.

*EDIT*

Hopefully this helps you out identifiying your ipod generation I think it might be either a 3 or 4th gen.

http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=2367
Old 08-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
Apac102
Regular User

I have a 4th gen. ok...Ill run the batteries down until it won't start up anymore and then try the reboot thing. This will take awhile though so Ill keep you updated. I was curious though, when i plug it in my comptuer, it won't read it so how am i suppose to click the reboot button? and where do i get this Ipod Restore program?

And yeah, when i do plug it in my computer, the ipod gets hot.... . Kinda worried about that.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
MIHALS
Regular User

download the iPod Wizard from that forum. if you'll be lucky and the proggy finds your iPod, you can reboot it or update... whatever

straight link for the download:
http://www.ipodwizard.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Old 08-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Wait what kinda computer you got? Also do you still have your CD that apple gave with the ipod? If not download it off their site. Just run the same program you use to update the ipod but instead of clicking update click restore. I put link to program later. Just try and reboot rite now by holding the middle button and the menu button for like 10 seconds. Then I think its plug the ipod in the computer and press the middle button and play button so it goes into emergency disk mode incase you ipod's firmware gets messed up. When you plug it in the computer and it gets hot is no problem in most cases but the main thing is when you use it for like just 10 mins straight does it get very hot?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Apac102
Regular User

Ok so I ran the battery down, plugged it in my computer, held the center and the menu button down- it shut down and then an apple icon appeared - and nothing happened. My computer still won't recognize it. now what?

I got the ipod updater and when i bring it up it says that "Can't Mount Ipod"

.....im getting scared

As for when i just play my ipod normally, it doesn't get hot, but when i plug it in te comptuer it starts to get hot.....

honestly, am I fucked?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
MIHALS
Regular User

do you use the same USB as before, or dif one? try another one
Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
Apac102
Regular User

i switched USBs.......nothing.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by Apac102
Ok so I ran the battery down, plugged it in my computer, held the center and the menu button down- it shut down and then an apple icon appeared - and nothing happened. My computer still won't recognize it. now what?

I got the ipod updater and when i bring it up it says that "Can't Mount Ipod"

.....im getting scared

As for when i just play my ipod normally, it doesn't get hot, but when i plug it in te comptuer it starts to get hot.....

honestly, am I fucked?
It didnt go into disk mode? IT should say disk mode. Hold up let me find what the key combos are for you ipod since mine is a different version.

Also dont worry dude there are millions of ways to fix an Ipod you can never really fuck it up since there is a an emergency disk mode which connects the ipod to the computer no matter what and you cant delete that since its was programmed to be read only from what I herd. BRB in like 10 mins
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #15
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Hey try this tutorial it will most definately work!

http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=7207

Also wait like 3 minutes after you plug the ipod into the computer to do this.