Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
evoWalo
Regular User

Default Microsoft Spends $7 Billion on R&D - For What?

SEC filing shows MS spending $5-7.8 billion on R&D annually. THis is a mind boggling amount of money considering how little they have to show for it when compared to competitors. Where have all the money gone? As MS continues to try to embrace and extend the tech industry, will MS collapse under the weight of its own expenses and bureaucracy?

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

A lot of failed/failing projects..

Trying to fix the already broken Vista, attack the ipod/itunes (zune or somethin), new search engine to fight google, rip off firefox for IE7, uMPC, etc..

The list goes on and on.. they do a lot of research and development.. it just doesnt make them money most of the time..
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
A lot of failed/failing projects..

Trying to fix the already broken Vista, attack the ipod/itunes (zune or somethin), new search engine to fight google, rip off firefox for IE7, uMPC, etc..

The list goes on and on.. they do a lot of research and development.. it just doesnt make them money most of the time..
doesn't Microsoft own the patent for the ipod? seems that bit of R+D paid off

fixing Vista? well, they are commited to release it, so it seems "worth it"

7B is pocket change for these guys :shock:
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Jabba
Regular User

Default Re: Microsoft Spends $7 Billion on R&D - For What?

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
SEC filing shows MS spending $5-7.8 billion on R&D annually. THis is a mind boggling amount of money considering how little they have to show for it when compared to competitors. Where have all the money gone?

Figuring out how to stop the latest round of windows advantage cracks from letting you download updates on naughty copies of XP (think I am on my 6th and currently working version)
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
saadie
Regular User

hmm .... piracy will never end ....
here .. CD's are available for 35 Rs . .you can buy 3 cd's for a pound lol ....

anyway ... 7b worth of r&d dosnt sound right
i havnt seen any really cool Microsoft software .... the last best thing was XP ... no denying that hehe ...

maybe they spend all the money figuring how to make the new media player look better
Old 08-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
rave426
Regular User

Well remember, MS had the Xbox 360 to work on as well as thier new "Zune" project. I am sure that windows development is a hell of a lot also.

Anyway that amount of money is nothing really for a company like that.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
nickthaskater

Microsoft also have their dirty little fingers dipped into the Formula 1 pie as well, winning the contract for providing spec-ECUs from 2008 onward.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

You say it, like its a bad thing. That is $7billion that went to other ppls pockets
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
SEC filing shows MS spending $5-7.8 billion on R&D annually. THis is a mind boggling amount of money considering how little they have to show for it when compared to competitors. Where have all the money gone?

Figuring out how to stop the latest round of windows advantage cracks from letting you download updates on naughty copies of XP (think I am on my 6th and currently working version)
Damn why didnt you just tell me? If ya want I can upload a legit copy of XP Pro and share with the special folks. PM me if anyone wants.

BTW I believe MS does own the patent to ipod or something because they get a huge chunk of $$$ for each ipod sold.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer

Damn why didnt you just tell me? If ya want I can upload a legit copy of XP Pro and share with the special folks. PM me if anyone wants.

BTW I believe MS does own the patent to ipod or something because they get a huge chunk of $$$ for each ipod sold.
Sure I will take a copy of that, but you do realise that every time its installed (with some different hardware) that it could count as another installation and I think they only let you do 10 or so..
Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer

Sure I will take a copy of that, but you do realise that every time its installed (with some different hardware) that it could count as another installation and I think they only let you do 10 or so..
Only 10? I believe that per cd key rite? Since the copy I have has been used on more then 10 computers already. You can always just find another CD key. But why I am offering this CD is beucase it hard to find an untampered with CD of XP PRO. Already got 1 person who wants it but I just realised I need to upload it first somewhere. I think its probably 650 megs compressed. Let me know anyone if ya know where I can upload other than rapid share!

BTW sorry bout talking bout sharin software I know we aint allowed to but....
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
Jabba
Regular User

You can upload it to the JW ftp, I will send you the details shortly, and I wouldn't worry about talking about it as I doubt you will be banned somehow.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
Pimp Racer
Regular User

You can upload it to the JW ftp, I will send you the details shortly, and I wouldn't worry about talking about it as I doubt you will be banned somehow.
Alright then sweet! Will post in the special area in a few hours. Let me start ripping it. Should I just make it one rar file or like 3 or 4 different ones?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
Jabba
Regular User

3 or 4 are better 8)
Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Alright I will do 4. Anyways I cant find my nero cd. I need to install sumtin to rip the iso since sonic doesnt do it. Dont worry though I will get it uploaded within 4-5 hours at the most. I think power ISO might work...anyways I gotta go get some breakfast. I'll be back in an hour.