Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Shinigami
Regular User

Default Test drove BMW Z4M (and an Audi TT 1.8T Quattro with 225hp)

If my GF is back home quickly, maybe I'll have a chance to go drive one more car... hmmm, maybe see if I can get hold of an S2000 so that she knows what it's like to go to 9000rpm

Anyway, I'll post my impressions and photos a little later when I get the chance

p.s. the BMW was probably the most impressive BMW I've driven so far... granted, I haven't tried the new M5 or the M6, but it was quite good!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Pehtren
Regular User

Z4M...... hurry up, post
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
Shinigami
Regular User

Came back from driving an S2000 with my GF, and now I'm making some Lasagne

But while that meatsauce mixture is heating up for the next 40 minutes, I'll get those photos up and ready plus my observations and opinions (oh, and we saw a Z06 as well of which I have some photos).
Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Shinigami
Regular User

Ok, so here goes. I'll get the TT/S2000 impressions done with first, since the cars ain't that new anymore and you've probably heard the same drivel being said before

Audi TT 1.8T Quattro with 225hp

So far, I've only driven roadster versions of the TT. A green (with green top) 1.8T with 180hp which was quite frankly slow (but quite cool due to the color, even the interior was a near greenish color) and a 3.2 DSG equipped 250hp one (which had a nice exhaust note and was fast enough).

This was the first time however in a coupé, and as such I was hoping for an interesting ride, mainly because:
a) I prefer the coupé look
b) It's almost 400kilos lighter then the 3.2 with only a 25hp disadvantage

The one I tried was black, with a black and gray nappa leather interior. Seating is comfortable although you do feel a bit high up, but the slanted window and squinty visibility effect gives a sporty feel to the experience.

The first thing that caught me was that this felt definitely lighter then the 3.2, and didn't feel like a boat contrary to the 1.8 (it was forward wheel drive). Turns could be taken with respectable doses of speed, and the turbo spooling whine seems to start at around 2500rpm, and then at 3000rpm you feel that amusing turbo "kick"

From there, it quite quickly rises up to the redline! Exhaust note is not as agressive as in the 3.2, but it sounds like it has power being put down, and in typical quattro style, the car just quite simply mooooooooves.

I came back from the test drive with the impression that "yes, I definitely DO prefer the coupé over the roadster". The rear seats are a bit of a gimmick, but overall it still has a body style I very much like, and back when it came out it was the first car I actually felt like I wanted to buy. I'll have to give a non-convertible 1.8T non-quattro with some ECU chipping a go. Maybe that'd be a very nice car to buy due to the MASSIVE price drop 98/99 TT's have experienced (and at only 1300kilos or so, they're quite light too).

Some pics:

Sorry, gotta go work on that Lasagne some more, will be back shortly to continue on with the other cars.

Meanwhile, here's a pic of the Z06. I know I took another pic from the front, but I have no idea what happened to that pic, the stupid camera ate it or something? But it WAS a Z06, right down to the 505hp badge on the side... oh, and it's a pretty quiet car when not being revved. The owner was just idling and it all seemed nice and civilised. I personally find it annoying when someone adds a fart can to a car making it sound like a tractor when idling... *shrug* Also, the Z06 looks better in person then in photos IMO. It has a presence, looks quite big too, good studd *thumbs up*

Old 05-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Shinigami
Regular User

Honda S2000

So, what can be said about the S2k then? Not the first time I've had a go in one, but this time I had my GF along so she also got her impression of this little marvel.

The Swiss ones all have the 2.0 liter engine developing 240hp with a 9000rpm redline. It still has one of THE best gearboxes and shifting experiences one could ever hope for, if not the best of all time (it's the best one I've ever experiences, that much can be said).

Very easy to just click the shifter into the next gear with very short and precise shifts. Whilst the TT has a more softer shifter feel, the S2000 feels almost robotic with an "on/off" feel to it. At one moment you're in one gear, you hold down the clutch (not a lot of travel, also feels very on/off) and the quite simply flick the shifter to the next position with a little click. Hard to explain in that whilst some shift knobs either wiggle around a bit in their gates or come to a rest within their gate in a slow motion, the S2000 shifter clicks all the way to the end in one quick movement and then locks in place. It's just another world

Turn on the car, and immediately it begins to idle at 2000rpm (hehe, my car just idles at 500rpm), and then you're off. "Oh look, I'm hardly trying and we're at 4000rpm" (at those levels, my car is already screaming along). Push a bit more past 6000rpm and WHOOOSH the VTEC kicks in, increasing the pitch of the engine noise in an amusing, often mistaken for a Turbo kick style feel.

It's definitely a very fun car to drive, if a bit weird to get used to it in that you need to keep those RPM's high to have enough torque for proper passing and city driving. At least compared to my car, it would almost be a rule of thumb to keep RPM's always twice as high as what I'm used to.

However, there's just one problem with the S2000... it's not the safest car to drive if you're new to rear wheel drive. This thing can be nasty on the wet, and even on the dry it's been known to bite a drivers head off. Case in hand, just prior to coming for the test drive, a previous "tester" had curved the rear passenger side wheel pretty hard. In fact, during my drive, it felt like the car wobbled a bit in the rear at times, and the steering wheel was slightly angled to the left. I think that car got a bit f'ed, but I just had to drive it and new the dangers, so whilst common sense would have told me not to drive the car (the wheel might explode or something), I just said "fuck it" and went ahead... you only live once

Oh, and to prove that the S2000 really can be a handful for some people, behind the shop we found another one, which had obviously seen some kinda wall and field... most likely the rear end stepping out of line :roll:

Personally, whilst I'd love to have an S2000, I don't think I'd like the idea of letting my GF drive it since she's not so experienced in manual transmission cars as I am (not that I'm very good either... I spend too much time with automatics), so if I were to tell someone to get a fun convertible in order to learn a manual tranny, they should go with an MX5 (Miata), it's a bit safer
Old 05-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Just_me
Regular User

I drove the new Z06 and it doesnt matter what speed you do, you hear the V8, the cabin is very noisy but hey its a pure sportcar so I dont mind hearing the mighty V8 singing
Old 05-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
Shinigami
Regular User

BMW Z4M

Ok, here's the review which you're probably waiting for.

This was the first car of the day, and I already knew the dealer somewhat, since I asked them if I could have a go with this car when the Geneva car show was underway. I was told they'd try to get a test drive for April/May period, but the only car they had was in the dealers show room, to be watched, but not to be touched... errr, driven (touch you can, just not drive it).

It had been there for a month now, and I just had to give it a go, so with some determination I went to the dealer, and told him I was still waiting for the test drive and wanted to drive one asap. After a few seconds the dealer said "do you have a moment?" and I said "sure, right now?" and he said "ok, I'll get the plates".

So a few minutes later we started the beast (a relatively normal sound from the exhaust, a bit raspy and droning, not as soft as a standard Z4's). Checked seating, etc... standard Z4 stuff, I've already driven Z4's on... oooh, more times then I can count on one hand, so none of that was new.

However, what WAS new was when I started driving off the dealers lot, the ease at which it moved and the sound

It felt like there was a noticeable amount of torque, maybe it had standard tires rather then run flats (sorry, forgot to check), but the tires were nice and quiet, the steering was similar to a standard Z4's but felt a bit more like it wasn't as connected (but very, very easy to move the steering wheel around, it was precise as can be, usual BMW stuff), and the sound was a very nice rumbly noise when driving at 2nd gear and 2000rpm (normal speed to exist a parking lot... about 20mph/30kph). Yeah, that rumbling noise is sweet, not too loud as to be distracting, but imposing enough to ask for some respect from the driver and those around you

And then we're off, going down some uneven roads (mmm, seems a bit softer then my car, but my rear tires are balding and I MUST change them... it affects my ride a lot these days), there's a little less sway/body roll then in my car when taking a roundabout at speed (well, the SLK is quite a bit heavier), and then about 10 minuted into the drive, the dealer (he wanted to come along for the ride as he hasn't been able to give it a go yet) told me to punch it hard, and hard as a bat out of he11 I did

From a steady rumble, the car began to howl, and then SCREAM as I approached the redline, which by now was indicating the 8000rpm line! Oh yeah, each shift was quite precise, although not as good as in an S2000, but going to redline in a tunnel on 2nd gear (the top was down, of course ) and then shifting to 3rd and STILL going to redline mere seconds after (think we just passed 120kph in a tunnel ), the rasp and chainsaw noise was quite something to behold!

And I think this car makes not only a better noise then an M3 (too raspy, too metallic and artificial), felt lighter and quicker too, and planted to the road, a pure joy to drive.

The clutch felt a bit funny tho', it has quite a fair amount of travel, during the first 3rd, nothing happens, and then the clutch is lifted off, so if you're changing gears, you need to time it pretty well by accelerating the moment you come in back to the first 3rd of travel to avoid jerkiness. Also, you need to push it a bit if you don't want the engine to shut down when driving off on first gear, or changing between first and second, it's quite sensitive and the Audi TT/S2000 were much easier to get moving without fear of the engine stopping (if you see what I mean).

I was pretty glad the dealer didn't mind me pushing the car hard, and taking it down the roads at considerable speeds. The curves and bends were taken with easy, the quality of the car seemed quite fine (no, the shifter didn't come off in my hands), and whilst I'm not as fond of the interior anti-glare material on the dash as I do in my SLK, I have to give this car top marks for being a very good car. Now, good of course is subjective, and some don't like the looks, but I do, I think they're quite nice, and the new hood is really cool with the creases on each side of the middle portion. The black color was impressive, the sound was nice, although I'm not that fond of the raspy noise (I prefer my SLK by far), and there seemed to be a little gap between 6000 and 8000rpm where a sort of torque empty/bald spot resided. I don't know how to explain it, but whilst the rpm's rise very fast up to 6000rpm, from there on, it seems to slow down just a bit. Not really something to worry about, it's just different from my SLK where the higher the RPM's go, the greater the amount of push and force.

I think a picture explains it best. Z4M on the left, SLK on the right (not drawn to scale, it's just to give a visual image).

The thicker steering wheel is something I had my doubts about at first, but I actually like it and think it's really nice. It's smaller then in the SLK (and thus a bit more sportier when you hold on to it, and hold on you will need to, hehe), and being thick was not a problem, gave you a good opportunity to wrap your hands around it.

Now, the problem is that it's not comparable to the SLK. They're really very different cars. The Z4M has a high-revving engine coupled with a great (but alas not "fabulous") gearbox, whilst the SLK gives you a V8 with gobs of torque and very GT like style. One's more suited to cruising and taking it easy, but fishing out punishment when you want to do so with ease (very easy with the SLK), and the other one asks to be punished, constantly coaxing you on and taunting you to "c'mon, gimme your best, go on, see if you can shift the guts outta me" style car.

I still prefer the SLK due to the more relax feel I can have when driving it, and I'd much rather have a 360 Modena for my manual shifting needs, but if you're a fan of BMW's, this is a good car, a very good and very fun car, and the best BMW I've driven to date (roll on M5 and M6 then, hehe).

Old 05-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Just_me
Regular User

When a MB AMG owner are positive about a M car then it much mean the Z4M is an excellent car

Thanks for the review.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Pehtren
Regular User

So......tomorrow im going to buy it. ...........You totally convinced me

The SLK more of a buissines mans, long travels CAR...The Z4M on the other hand is hardcore sportsman 8) ...in my head

Thanks for the review 8)
Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Shinigami
Regular User

p.s. I've always had problems with BMW gearboxes... I dunno why, they just don't fit "me" I guess... I had problems getting used to the M3 gearbox, and the Z4M felt awfully similar. I had problems driving other BMW's as well, and I always feel like the shifter floats between gates rather then snapping into place.

However, I drove an older model M5 (400hp) and I had no problems with that one, so it's probably purely objective on my part. The handling is good, typical BMW in all cases, but the shifting leaves me a bit cold... I probably just need practice...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami
p.s. I've always had problems with BMW gearboxes... I dunno why, they just don't fit "me" I guess... I had problems getting used to the M3 gearbox, and the Z4M felt awfully similar. I had problems driving other BMW's as well, and I always feel like the shifter floats between gates rather then snapping into place.
I dont know but perhaps the Z4M need more miles before the gearbox has been "driven in".`?

Personally I have alwyas enjoyed the stick in bimmers.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
Shinigami
Regular User

Just_Me: not all MErcedes/AMG owners are assholes that don't like, or respect BMW's

I'm a Merc man and I like my MB's, but I know a good car when I drive one.

pehtren: yes, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. The SLK is suited for the business man style driving, for the kind of person who doesn't want to worry about too many things and just wants to drive in comfort from A to B, occasionally wants to gun it for their own personal amusement, whilst the Z4 is made for the younger, "I need to show the world I'm here and I'm gonna shake your world" type person

I think the balance is good, and I think whilst it's nice for MB to try and attract younger clients by offering sportier cars, their clientele is ultimately the older gentleman, whilst BMW's are more for the outgoing extrovert who wants to make it clear to others that they're here to mean business.

Something like that
Old 05-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me
I dont know but perhaps the Z4M need more miles before the gearbox has been "driven in".`?

Personally I have alwyas enjoyed the stick in bimmers.
Yeah, the car only had 80km's on the counter, so it probably just needed to be broken in well.

The problem with BMW gearboxes is that they're not an S2000 gearbox I guess I just like the S2000 gearbox because you go from one gear, instantly to the next:

gear 1 ----------- gear 2

Whilst with BMW's, it seems to me that you go from gear to gear with a little "emptiness" when you leave a gate, and when you enter a gate.

gear 1 - - - ---- - - - gear 2

Maybe that explains it better. I guess this is not really important for some people, it's not important at all I guess, but the S2000 example is also what I experienced in a Modena and a Maranello. You just click the shifter from one gate to another, maybe with a little pause in between at the middle of the H.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Pehtren
Regular User

Its really nice to hear that from MB owner that doesent spits on the other brand...you are THE MAN Shini

I too like the SLK, just in the other way.... its a great car

But still i dont see me in it, more in the Z4...And i have a big wish to try it someday
Old 05-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmw06m6
Ultimate Driving Machine... ?
Sorry, but it's not the ultimate driving machine... I was much, MUCH more impressed when driving a Ferrari. The shifter, sound, feel... it was much more impressive.

The price of the Z4M is however much more impressive then a Ferrari's

Apples and oranges. If you can't afford the apple, you'll buy the orange.