Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #61
graywolf624
Regular User

"How long would it take to crack 128 bit encryption using a program. I have heard of some programs that are ablr to do this!"

That depends on the algorithm. 128 bit by itself means nothing for security. The algorithm behind it is what drives the system. Basically encryption works by a one way function that is hopefully unreversable without a key. A good example of this would be reverse log arithmic functions or modulous. Where the length of the key comes in(128 bit) is the length of time it takes to hack a good algorithm by brute force is extended the longer the key.. Also the makeup of the key itself is important. It can't be words or anything that would be found in a dictionary.. You could use a dictionary attack.

The problem is that some numskulls either use easy dictionary word keys or come up with algorithms that make decryption easier because of flaws(perhaps breaking the key up into smaller pieces.. which is one example of a poor method windows previously used with the lanman protocal allowing nt authentication to be hackable).

Hacking other peoples websites and things are illegal. Hacking encryption algorithms and such from your home machine in order to write papers on their vulnerabilities is perfectly legal.. so long as you reasonably make an effort to notify the owners of the algorithm before release of the paper.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #62
graywolf624
Regular User

There are multiple ways to hack an encryption algorithm.
The first are brute force.. You just continue to guess keys till you get one to work.
You can use things like dictionary words to speed this process up. This is where the length and makeup of the password are most important.

The next is to break the algorithm. This usually happens less often. I believe they managed to break the algorithms based on the napsack problem(look it up. Im not 100 percent sure but I think they have).

The final is to take a known clear text(clear text being what you want to encrypt), encrypt it with the algorithm using the unknown key.
Then use trial and error of plugging different keys with the clear text until they match.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #63
No.1
Regular User

^^^ man.. you know a lot. :shock:

I ca see you have also been on JW for a long time, but you never use the [EDIT] function when you post one after the other No offence, but above you could have merged them with an edit.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #64
graywolf624
Regular User

man.. you know a lot.
I have a bachelors in computer science specializing in networking. That included classes in security and telecommunications. I'm trying to start my career in information security.

No offence, but above you could have merged them with an edit
I generally avoid editing a thread unless it is minor gramatical changes or updates. editing to combine generally confuses people if you wait too long.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #65
Zonda11
Regular User

Thanks....I was just wondering seeing as I have 4 keys each 26 digits long.....using brute force i assume it would take a long time. If there are 36^104 possibilities (0-9 or a-z could be used in any of 104 slots and 0-9 or a-z can be repeated) This is if letter case does not matter.....but, if it does i fear that would make 62^104 possibilities!!

I would like to try to break into my own network to see how long brute force would take ---but i fear i would need a grid of computers all working to crack it. (Hackers 2 special)

Zonda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:28 AM   #66
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by a007apl
It was a joke
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #67
a007apl
Regular User

a007apl is offline   Reply With Quote