Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-27-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Wutputt
Regular User

Default Stupid question

I suddenly have a stupid question that I want answered

Today it was a real nice warm weather outside and I had to work inside. As a result I didn't felt like working at a certain point, and I watched the people outside walking past. Suddenly I noticed everybody walking by was swinging his or her arms. So now I'm wondering why people swing their arms back and forth during walking, while it's perfectly possible and easy to leave the arms still.

Does anybody knows the answer to this question?
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

Its a psychological response related to the original act when your young of using your arms as a counter balance to your weight as you learn to walk. Of course groups like the military exaggerate it for effect and you no long need it to walk. But engrained response.
At least thats my take, this guy disagrees with me:
Why is it normal to move your arms when you walk or run?
I think that while people walk and run their motions are chosen to reduce effort, increase speed, and keep stable. If someone walked or ran with their arms hanging straight down instead of swinging them, they would get more tired. They couldn't run as fast. And they might fall down more. How does swinging your arms make walking and running easier and faster?

I don't think anyone really knows, but here are a few ideas.

1) If you hang from a rope and swing your legs as if you were walking your body will twist back and forth. When you walk, that twisting tendency is still there. Swinging your arms opposite to your legs, like most people do, twists you the opposite way so its easier to walk straight.

2) If you just relax your arms, they will swing because your shoulders move when you walk. It takes effort to stop them from swinging. People are lazy so they let their arms swing.

3) Swinging arms can help push you forward. Each time you swing your arm you throw your fist forward like a ball. At the end of the forward swing your fist pulls your body to catch up. Why doesn't the 'throwing' effect cancel the 'catching' effect? That's the kind of thing we are still trying to figure out.
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/?quid=144
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Blip
Regular User

I'm glad some people take time to appreciate the small details of life

I think people swing their arms while walking because it gives them a feeling of importance. Ohh look at me i'm so cool swinging my arms around like a sissy.

Scientifically speaking, moving your arms certainly keeps you more balanced at high speed, maybe it also helps you keep moving in a stright line. The Cornell punk has some good points.

Drive it like you stole it !
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
nchs09

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Its a psychological response related to the original act when your young of using your arms as a counter balance to your weight as you learn to walk. Of course groups like the military exaggerate it for effect and you no long need it to walk. But engrained response.
At least thats my take, this guy disagrees with me:
Why is it normal to move your arms when you walk or run?
I think that while people walk and run their motions are chosen to reduce effort, increase speed, and keep stable. If someone walked or ran with their arms hanging straight down instead of swinging them, they would get more tired. They couldn't run as fast. And they might fall down more. How does swinging your arms make walking and running easier and faster?

I don't think anyone really knows, but here are a few ideas.

1) If you hang from a rope and swing your legs as if you were walking your body will twist back and forth. When you walk, that twisting tendency is still there. Swinging your arms opposite to your legs, like most people do, twists you the opposite way so its easier to walk straight.

2) If you just relax your arms, they will swing because your shoulders move when you walk. It takes effort to stop them from swinging. People are lazy so they let their arms swing.

3) Swinging arms can help push you forward. Each time you swing your arm you throw your fist forward like a ball. At the end of the forward swing your fist pulls your body to catch up. Why doesn't the 'throwing' effect cancel the 'catching' effect? That's the kind of thing we are still trying to figure out.
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/?quid=144
in college they told me it was for balance...as one leg goes foward the oposite arm goes back.. maily cause ur body can not keep one half straight and the other moving but it balances the body out too
Old 05-28-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
Wutputt
Regular User

Thanks for the responses. Apparenlty there is no ultimate answer for it.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

cornell punk missed something though. What about when you walk with your hands in your pockets? why doesn't your upper body swivel back and forth then?

and has anyone ever tried swinging your arms with your step? ie swinging your right arm forward when you step with your right foot? It's harder than it sounds and the result is kind of funny

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
gucom
Regular User

and has anyone ever tried swinging your arms with your step? ie swinging your right arm forward when you step with your right foot? It's harder than it sounds and the result is kind of funny
when i was still doing (track) athletics, i did that yes...and it's weird indeed...
and swinging ur arms is very important there, especially in my "specialty" back then, hurdles...just for fun try jumping over something while swinging the arm on the side of ur first leg forward...ok maybe not, with some bad luck u can break a leg or twist ur knee on landing...so just dont try it, but lemme tell u, it doesn't work