Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
hirev
Regular User

Default new 2004 S2000

I am lucky enough to have one. there has been allot written about these cars and lots of bull about no torque or having to be in the high end, etc...i am here to dispel rumors and give experienced feedback if anyone has any questions. I am coming out of a 2001 Miata LS so if that would be of interest I can respond to those quires as well.

Just making cartalk, that's all I am interested in.
hirev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
oscargarza88
Regular User

that new s2000 is very very cool!
but how does it perform againt the old one? have u raced one?
some pics would hep alot!
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
oldsnail
Regular User

s2k's are very nice...
the shifter is like 'click click click' with super short throws.
the miata already has short throws itself..
if u sit in the interior of an s2k, it feels really much like a mr2(91-95) with an H emblem in the middle..
Old 02-20-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
Sp00ln
Regular User

I was wondering... has the S2000 found its torque yet?
Old 02-21-2004, 03:14 AM   #5
datzun
Regular User

S2000 is really nice....i just cant fit in one of those things. Being 6'4", I sat in it and my knees were digging into the dashboard Awesome car though.

SHIFT_enjoy!

The blog (I post as Datzun of course):
http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~mtc02c/version_2.0/
datzun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:34 AM   #6
revvv_pshhh
Regular User

i sat in on at the LA auto show this year. I dont think i was supposed to..but hey it was open so me and my girlfriend sat in it. Im sure the pics came out good maybe i could post some. Im 6'0" and pretty broad. I fit in it pretty nicely. Im say about the engine changes tho. I know the redline got cut down from 9k down to 8200..which is still high but its no 9000!. The torque got boosted up about 10 more foot lbs..but nothing too impressive. I love the new LED tailights and the larger rims. They have a different front bumper as well. The headlight cassing is kinda different too, more enique look. I would get it, but not over an STi.
revvv_pshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:36 AM   #7
revvv_pshhh
Regular User

i sat in on at the LA auto show this year. I dont think i was supposed to..but hey it was open so me and my girlfriend sat in it. Im sure the pics came out good maybe i could post some. Im 6'0" and pretty broad. I fit in it pretty nicely. Im say about the engine changes tho. I know the redline got cut down from 9k down to 8200..which is still high but its no 9000!. The torque got boosted up about 10 more foot lbs..but nothing too impressive. I love the new LED tailights and the larger rims. They have a different front bumper as well. The headlight cassing is kinda different too, more enique look. I would get it, but not over an STi.
revvv_pshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:10 AM   #8
cho_888
Regular User

right lets compare. Dad has a 2001 red S2000 and i drive it so i know what its like.
I dont really see a lack of torque, its more when the pulling power sort of kickcs in. The New S2k has had the redline dropped to spread the torque, it is a little faster from 0-100. I alos think some suspersion problems have been sorted.
In other news. The old S2K's value has strengthened because it now is "orginal" S2000.

As for the looks, i am not really sure i like the new one. Looks to much like an MX5 but thats just me.

This is ours!

heaps more photos if you want em.

oh and hirev
look at this, got it done at a place with laser i think.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
hirev
Regular User

Never been a low end torque issue for me, new or old model, driven both, comparred and chose. with the lower gearing and other changes it just is a better package for me, and with 10% more displacement there is simply more power where you need it,when you need it.

Bragging rights can go to the 2000-2003 model owners for having a 9,000 redline and an original configuration, but this is a sweet update. nice 17inch wheels and revised interior, suspension, front and rear...still has a crappy stereo, but you don't buy it for that.

I am getting 21.5-23 mpg in normal mixed driving, best driving mileage is 25.5, but car is still newish, under 5,000 miles, but not for long. no oil use, zip, nada.

When i tracked it there was lots of water, rain was heavy, and i learned alot...it is a seriously fast car and can spin easily in the inexperienced hands, regardless of the changes in rubber and suspension, but then again, power plus rear wheel drive equal spin at some point, especially in the rain. i will track it again...

as with any car, the experience and skill of the driver makes the largest difference in the speed and way a car can handle a track.

i don't have photos but they are everywhere. best gearbox this side of BMW and for the money is can be comparred to a boxster, z4, z roadster, which all cost thousands more. this is no miata.
hirev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
oldsnail
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sp00ln
I was wondering... has the S2000 found its torque yet?
the new s2k(2004)has been bored up 200cc, from a 2L to a 2.2L giving more power in its powerband.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
cho_888
Regular User

yeah it can spin easy, its pure with no traction control.
there is only one way to drive an S2K and that is reving the hell out of it. i also have a vid of us going around a track if you want i will send you the link.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
jpatino03
Regular User

My dad got a new one too. He says it pulls like a monster. As for the gearbox, The BMW 'boxes I've driven feel pretty awul compared to honda's. Whereas the hondas tend to have very well defined gates, a lot fo the BMW's feel pretty vague and have awful throws. (Beemers are still great cars , but the gearboxes are no match for honda's)

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 05:19 PM   #13
cho_888
Regular User

yeah the gear box is so short its great to drive you change gears way more than you need to. jpatino03 that white one looks good. Anyway i dont know if we will get the new one because as of yet, it hasnt been released down under, and i am not sure they will.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
jpatino03
Regular User

Thanks man. My dad really wanted the light blue one, but since they're handmade, you pretty much have to take whatever the dealer has, and in this case it was the white one. White has Honda heritage written all over it though.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
cho_888
Regular User

at the very moment the S2000 is having its clutch replaced. There is a little problem with the old one. and yes i love the light blue. i saw i 360 in that colour the other day.