Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 04-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default Road America 2004

The pics were taken last summer during the ALMS race weekend. Road America is easily one of my favorite tracks. I have a blast everytime I go. These aren't the only pics, just the first few. The others are high res. I will be uploading them later. The pics were taken with two different cameras. The guy who took these low res shots never sent me the high res ones.

The Vette just spun, I'm not sure what caused it. He turned into the corner and my guess is that the brakes locked up on him.

When they tried to pull it out, the front splitter dug into the sand and the tow hook snapped off. There will be better pics of this to come. Including the burnout to get back on the track.

In another thread, (video links forum) AlienDB7 captured and posted a video of this Viper. You wouldn't believe how loud the crash was. He was going damn fast when he slammed into the tires as well! From where he went off to the wall, it must be 50 feet minimum. He sailed across it in a fraction of a second.

Yellow flag from the Viper wreck:

Superformance Cobra, this thing was pretty cool IMO.

The turbo on the big racing semi. My friend held a $20 for size comparison, but the glare made it not work so well! LOL Lets just say the turbo was massive.

Ultima GTR, first and only one I've ever seen. I believe it had a 700bhp Chevy smallblock.

Derek Bell's S60R. Didn't see much of it during the weekend. During practice it made an axle kerplode (thats why it's on the tow truck) and he also had problems forcing him to drop out of the race after two or three laps. When I upload the other pics, I have better pics of him. In one he's staring right at me as he sits on the tow truck. He doesn't look to happy! LOL

666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

Ferrari F40
Old 04-15-2005, 04:46 AM   #3
666fast
Regular User

Yea, it was the first time I have saw one. And I got to see it haul ass down the straight on the track. What a glorius noise it made!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

Default Re: Road America 2004

Originally Posted by 666fast
... The pics were taken with two different cameras. The guy who took these low res shots never sent me the high res ones.
So these pics aren't yours? In this case they don't belong to this section
Old 04-15-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
Schwalbe

From these pictures, my favorite cars are obviously the Audi R8 and the Champion RS6.

Nice formation of two A/OA-10 Thunderbolt II.

Thanks for those pix 666fast !
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

that is an awesome set of sightings you've collected 666 I don't think i would have been coherent enough to take pics of the F40. I'd have just gone into a catatonic state until it was out of sight, then dried the drool from my shoes and carried on

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Wutputt
Regular User

Great sightings. The F40 is defenitely the star of the show, but that RUF 964 turbo comes pretty close. The 993 Turbo looks great as well, though I'm not really convinced of his rims. As for the Ultima GTR in yellow: a rare colour for this crazy machine. I've only seen them in dark and light blue so far.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
666fast
Regular User

Default Re: Road America 2004

Originally Posted by TT
Originally Posted by 666fast
... The pics were taken with two different cameras. The guy who took these low res shots never sent me the high res ones.
So these pics aren't yours? In this case they don't belong to this section
Well, I took some of them, but the camera doesn't belong to me and he never sent me the high res ones. If you want to move the thread, go ahead. No big deal.

Dani d mas, the high res pics will be up soon, which has high res pics of the E30. You'll love the license plate on it.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
666fast
Regular User

The high res pics

BRE Datsun 510 sitting under the Nissan tent. It's the real deal, not a replica. Tiny little car, the roofline was just above my waist, and I'm about 5'9" or so.

I believe this was Leighton Reese's borrowed Viper. I've been to his shop a couple times, lots of cool stuff. His old Porsche was sweet, untill it started on fire! Then his Corvette started on fire! And I believe the Viper had a small fire in practice! LOL

More of Derek Bells Volvo, pretty cool car IMO. Too bad they had soem many problems. Powered by Cosworth too!

Pontiac GTO. It was loud as hell on the track, but it didn't seem all too quick. Looks cool though.

Pictures from all over the track:

Derek Bell not looking very happy! LOL

More race pics:

The Vette that went off and had it's tow hook torn off. He spent quite awhile in the dirt, so he's in a bit of a hurry to get going again:

ALMS Safety Car, also known as a Cayenne

The safety car came out because of this guy. It was on the first corner of the very last lap. He locked up the brakes and slid into the sand sideways which sent the car rolling. Luckily, he ended up on his wheels. It took them forever to pull him out. The frotn end dug into the sand when they pulled the car. So, they had to pull it about 10 feet, dig the send out and repeat. Took about 20 minutes to get him out. No rush, since the race was over.

Start of the ALMS race, they let spectators out onto the track to see the cars, even though you can almost get inside them while they are in the pits:

If you ever go to an ALMS race, make sure to be at the start/finish line right when the race starts. Seeing and hearing all those cars come roaring past is pretty sweet.

More pics of the race:

Look closely, a car is facing the wrong way LOL

CTS-V, looks pretty spiffy in black, me likey

Porsches out the wazoo

BMW's

Ferrari, there was also a red 308 and a black 355 but no pics, the batteries in the cameras died.

CTS-V Racecar in the Caddilac Tent

F16's and A10's, they flew over at the start of the race. My guess is it has somethign to do with the Air Force sponsored Focus in Speed Touring

and thats it!
Old 04-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
gucom
Regular User

wow looks like a very nice circuit indeed, and some nice cars too! will you be going again this year??
Old 04-16-2005, 06:36 PM   #11
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
wow looks like a very nice circuit indeed, and some nice cars too! will you be going again this year??
I sure will be! Depending on money, I might be at the Ferrari/Maserati Challenge and Historics race a few weeks before too.