Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
79TA
Regular User

Default Parnelli Jones Mustang drives up to my house!

While it's not as exotic as the Gumpert Apollo, there are only 500 of them. This car pretty much embodies everything I'd want to do to a modern Mustang if I had one, ie awesome suspension, Boss styling, and 5.0 litre engine with 400 horses.

Sorry about the pictures. It was dark and I could barely see what I was shooting in some cases. I made sure to get my TA in this shot as a bit of proof.

Anyway, I just can't express how well balanced this car is. Many of you may be thinking it's just another clumsy Mustang. Well, consider the fact that it laps faster than the 1970 racecar that it's styled after despite less horsepower, more weight, and a higher center of mass. The faster laptimes are then mostly a result of grip which comes from the great suspension geometry from the watt's rear link setup and the softer compound tires.

The car felt higher than my TA (since it was), but everything was tight, and i couldn't really detect any body roll. I could feel it sitting higher but the car always felt so attached to the road no matter what kind of corners we threw at it. Despite a great firm suspension, the car was miraculously forgiving over bumps. Since the suspension was about as firm as my TA's, I winced as we crossed the first intersection out of habit but the car It's weird to lose traction without hearing the squeel that I'm used to . . . new fangled soft compound tires. I'm sorry, I'm just kind of rambling but riding in that car was amazing. It gets to 100 in no time and transitions through corners like nobody's business. . .

Yes, I have been in many faster cars, but the PJ just seemed so uncompromising and well thought out. I have similar thoughts about the Audi RS4 (granted the rear passengers have much more leg room in that car). I'd always thought the PJ was overpriced, especially considering what kind of Corvette you could get for the same money. Now I think otherwise. (although I still feel Saleens in general are far from the best bang for your buck performance-wise).

Yea, I'm still really excited about the whole thing. I tried to calm myself down by hooning around in my own car a bit . . . more awesomeness as my favorite roads were quite empty.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Smartdriver
Regular User

Wow, great looking Mustang! Nice in yellow and black, very "hard"! :good:

www.italiansupercar.net --- My first website about modern and classic supercars
www.smartdriver.it --- My Car Enthusiast website about Smart
Smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Zot09
Regular User

It's pretty cool seeing such rare cars, especially by your own house!

But the car just doesn't really do it for me; well, Mustang's in general don't. One of my roommates has a regular Mustang, and the handling is not that great. Along with that, one of my friends has a GT Mustang and that car doesn't do it for me as well. Maybe the extra 100hp and suspension work on this car makes it better?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
It's pretty cool seeing such rare cars, especially by your own house!

But the car just doesn't really do it for me; well, Mustang's in general don't. One of my roommates has a regular Mustang, and the handling is not that great. Along with that, one of my friends has a GT Mustang and that car doesn't do it for me as well. Maybe the extra 100hp and suspension work on this car makes it better?
It makes all the difference in the world. I don't know how much is due to the tires, but the car just sticks no matter what you throw at it.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

A friend of mine was a mustang fanatic. Always bought new ones, modded them, new suspension, more power. He always bragged about great they were....then he bought a BMW and said he'll never go back lol.

Ive driven quite a few stangs in my day and I have to say you would have to do a lot to change my negative opinion towards them.

Still, that is a rare car you spotted there. Ive never seen one, and I see everything here.