Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: ......
Global Warming is real, and nothing supporting the other view should be viewed! 1 5.26%
I am skeptical of both views, but I think both should be viewed 6 31.58%
WTF, fuck TV, Fuck the media, and Fuck global warming hippies 5 26.32%
I have yet to see proof of Global Warming, but I wan't to see "fairness" in the media's presentation of it 3 15.79%
Consensus doesn't involve facts, I can decide for myself 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default I dont have TV, but come on!

Where is the media support of the fair view of things? where are the "global warming isn't caused by humans" documentaries, and docudramas?

I was over at my brothers last night, and when there wasn't an advertisement on, it seemed like every channel, and it's brother had a "global warming is going to kill us all in 70 years" documentary, and docudrama on! WTF

many of these were being used in regular series like "worlds deadliest....(insert words of event etc.) " and so much doom and gloom. Where's my global warming dammit! I certainly don't feel it. Where's my smoggy sky? I don't see it, and I'm in Detroit for christs' sake.... the sky looks the same here ( there is light pollution, which i loath... but that is another story) as it is up in Houghton Michigan 600 away by car.

how come we aren't touching record highs? how come our average temperatures aren't record highs? we don't even have EPA testing here.... do you know how many enthusiasts are running w/out cats, and burning high octane fuel with lead? any idea how many 18 wheeler's we have here running 24 hours a day to feed the auto industry ? Maybe i'm crazy, maybe I've seen the graphs from the last years but...... where is the media "fairness" on such a stupid subject?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

You heard of AMC, Speed Channel, TCM, HBO? Watch that instead

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
You heard of AMC, Speed Channel, TCM, HBO? Watch that instead
there was an interesting show on the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster, preceeded by and before two global warming programs, and as flipping through the channels, ad after ad for global warming programs. Rediculous. and nothing good was on Speed (Unique whips = gay, followed by Pinks i think) and no TCM, HBO, and AMC? who watches those old films
Old 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

Hmm, there are no global warming docos whatsoever on TV here, but I don't have cable, which limits the stuff I can watch. I think both views should definitely be presented on television, however, money is the lowest common denominator, so that will decide what goes on and what goes off.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
Hmm, there are no global warming docos whatsoever on TV here, but I don't have cable, which limits the stuff I can watch. I think both views should definitely be presented on television, however, money is the lowest common denominator, so that will decide what goes on and what goes off.
Same here Matt, same ere...

But we do see stuff coming by about Global Warming from time to time, not surprising since half of our country is below sea level and thats what its mostly about, us drowning if we don´t act...
Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

but there's the general idea that being against the "global warming" speech is seriously uncool these days.
Yes, which is why every politician these days has jumped aboard the global warming bandwagon, including the bloke I work for.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
silentm
Regular User

Default Re: I dont have TV, but come on!

Originally Posted by nthfinity
I was over at my brothers last night, and when there wasn't an advertisement on, it seemed like every channel, and it's brother had a "global warming is going to kill us all in 70 years" documentary, and docudrama on! WTF
here in germany we don't see any such documentaries constantly broadcastet. imo this is just this typical amrican style "doom" hype shit of how bad everything is going to be in the future.

the last couple of times i was in the US i payed a little attention to what was broadcasted on the tv. and by god i am glad to live in germany. the "news" channels continuisly preached something about a threat or danger or "stay at home" or whatever and quite franky no wonder the people over in the states are so paranoid. if i would be in the states and watched these channels preaching their terrorism and doom BS i would probably freak out...

many of these were being used in regular series like "worlds deadliest....(insert words of event etc.) " and so much doom and gloom. Where's my global warming dammit! I certainly don't feel it. Where's my smoggy sky? I don't see it, and I'm in Detroit for christs' sake.... the sky looks the same here ( there is light pollution, which i loath... but that is another story) as it is up in Houghton Michigan 600 away by car.
hey take a look at europe atm, we are had the warmest January in Switzerland since they first started recording temperatures in, sometime end of 19th century. it is quite weird i have to admit but i haven't seen anyone giving any scientific proof or a linear connection of this whole global warming thing and the emission of CO2 by cars/trucks in general.

there are just too many factors globally that influence the weather over the whole world.

how come we aren't touching record highs? how come our average temperatures aren't record highs?
here they are atm. just yesterday a meteorologist on one of the german popular newsshows (ZDF) compared 2 fotos of the alps last year and now. you could clearly see the lack of snow now. atm we are experiencing a great airflow from the atlantic ocean that is pretty warm (coming off the gulf stream) and it's spreading over the european continent, therefore being responsible for this warm state we're in.

right now as i'm typing it's 9pm and the temp outside is 4.5C i'd expect more something like -5

where is the media "fairness" on such a stupid subject?
imo the media doesn't need to be fair in anything, as long as they get the viewers through their sensational BS they put on the tv, they won't change a damn thing about what they say and how they put it.
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Because the majority of the public can easily be swayed into hysteria..

Too bad our Government doesn't do something to prevent shit like that on TV rather than pushing for it :\
Old 02-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I'm skeptical of both views. Dunno enough data from either side to come to my own conclusion.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Re: I dont have TV, but come on!

Originally Posted by silentm
here they are atm. just yesterday a meteorologist on one of the german popular newsshows (ZDF) compared 2 fotos of the alps last year and now. you could clearly see the lack of snow now. atm we are experiencing a great airflow from the atlantic ocean that is pretty warm (coming off the gulf stream) and it's spreading over the european continent, therefore being responsible for this warm state we're in.

right now as i'm typing it's 9pm and the temp outside is 4.5C i'd expect more something like -5
There are reasons why germans and myself get along

yet... I recently read a paper on history from the 1100-1300's weather, and a few months ago watched a program on the weather from the 1400-late 1800's.

on the 1100-1300, the plague was losing, and crept back to its originating areas... why? there were few famins, and people were in good health.

the good health was due to good farming, and the people were averaging hight's of around 6 foot, much like today.

There were lands being farmed which couldn't be farmed today due to the local climates, including having vinyards for wine in certain parts of UK.

Greenland had reduced glacial activity, even compared to today, as evidence of farming under neath the snowcaps is being found where temperatures aren't high enough today.

the conclusion of the article states they estimate the global temperature of the world to be an average of 2-5 Degrees C more then it is today even!

this was long before massive CO2 emissions, digging for oil, burning of coal etc. etc. etc...... yet here the earth remains, yet here holland wasn't flooded.

on the years of 1400-late 1800's, they called it a "mini ice age" where crops were failing, growth of the people was stunted due to mal nutrition, and stories of long hard winters were plentiful.

much of both are attributed to teh Sun, and orbital patterns of the earth...

this isn't including the millions of years old Ice cores taken from both poles showing global warming/cooling to such degrees repeat themselves thousands of times!

by comparison, we know for a fact that much of North America, and Europe were covered by glaciers in the Ice age, and we are now serioously much much warmer.

there are cycles that are much older then any instrumentation we've been able to measure, or will be able to for quite some time. No argument has held up against raw science when you aren't searching for anything... except to study for studying's sake..... like the Ice core researchers... there is no political agenda there...
Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

it is quite weird i have to admit but i haven't seen anyone giving any scientific proof or a linear connection of this whole global warming thing and the emission of CO2 by cars/trucks in general.
Some try. But these are not convincing, because all they do is show a correlation, not a causal connection.

And I've also read material on how temperatures around mediaeval times were very warm. This is why the Vikings could easily settle in places like Greenland and Iceland. Maybe not Greenland, they thought it was fairly rubbish.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
abbor
Regular User

Well. I was very skeptical about all the global warming-thing for a while, but I'm starting to believe in some of it more and more... Although I'm still not a treehugger...
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Download your TV programs.
if everybody does that, what insentive do they have to make good programs if thier advertisers aren't getting paid..... therefore thier show is cancelled ???

obviosly, i wont watch a GW program, as i wont support those advertisers.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:06 AM   #14
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

"Fuck global warming hippies" :roll:

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote