Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #31
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
He is biased, but they all are. I don't watch car shows to decide which car to buy(well other then perhaps when the car is exceptionally bad). I watch the shows because I enjoy them. I mean, look at motor trend magazine. They had the pt cruiser as a car of the year, wheres the journalistic integrity there? Oh yeah, they have none.. But if I were to read that mag, it wouldnt be for that(I dont but its a good example).
yea i agree, top gear is so much better than watching some garbage like motorweek on the speed channel or car and driver television where they tell you shit you already know about the car, like if they do a review on the elise they will be like "it has a small engine, it weighs under 2000lbs, it handles great wonderful car!" and thats it. clarkson on the other hand gives his opinions on the car according to what he thinks not on pure facts, i mean he still tells you the basics but he gives so much more than that, and is so much more passionate about his reviews. i mean christ i want to blow my brains out everytime i hear the narrator on motorweek drab on about how the honda civic is an economy car and is reliable, and gets great gas.....no shit i have heard all that before, i want more than that. and more is what clarkson gives, however as a consequence of giving more, he will be biased/opinionated and many will dissagree, but hell they still watch.
JiggaStyles09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:29 PM   #32
schnell318
Regular User

I had thought about this but hadn´t realized that he was sooo biased... anyway I don´t really care, cause as some others said, the show is for pure entertainment. Gotta love the driving and some of the weird stuff they do with cars.

For a more objective car show go for Fifth Gear.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:28 AM   #33
possessed_beaver
Regular User

i agree with what sir GT said, because it's basicley what i've been saying for a while, how can he chose an aston martian over a ferrari.. ohhh what it's british.

if i had a dolloar for evreytime he contradicts himself!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #34
sentra_dude

This has already been said in various ways, but I'm going to add my little twist to it anyways...

I think we all know JC is biased, and in some cases his choices don't make a lot of sense, his comments anger me for their inaccuracies & obvious bias, and he tries desperately to make the car he likes look the best...but holy fucking shit! At least Top Gear gets some emotion out of me, besides 5th Gear, no other TV show about cars even gets more than half attention.

Sir_GT, I don't think you have ever watched one of those absolutely horrible American car shows...Autoweek, MotorTrend, or Car & Driver...because if you had you would be begging for some badly biased BBC car shows...they are ten times more interesting to watch. 8)

I for one would never buy a car because a TV show liked it, I would buy a car because I went to the dealer, drove it and loved how it felt to drive...so I don't really care too much that JC makes some ignorant comments now and then...I was pretty mad when he trashed the McLaren F1, but at least I was mad, if it was Car & Driver reviewing the F1 (they haven't) besides seeing footage of an F1 I would have been on the verge of falling asleep...:roll:

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #35
Caps8419
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
IMO, if TG is the great show it is, and Jeremy the great host it is, it's because he is bloody biased and bloody funny

i agree, i live in the US and therfore dont get Top gear so the only time i see him is when i download the episode and clips. he makes the show entertaining which is the point of the show. its mostly for entertainment, not really a legit and thourough review of cars.... Tiff is better at that. JC is there to make you smile and when he says "this car sucks blah blah" you prove him wrong by checking out that car and realizing you like it. his humor and biases are what make you watch....imo

Officially, Catholicism is Italy's official religion; but any true Italian will tell you Ferrari first, soccer second.....
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Montoya should race bumper karts and not F1 race cars!
Caps8419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #36
topgeartom
Regular User

I see what you are all saying, but I just think you cant take him too seriously. I disagree with what you are saying about him only liking cars owned by ford cos he has one, and similarly with Mercedes-Benz.

He just has strong views on cars, and doesn't give a dam what the general consensus is about a particular model.

You say he has a thing against BMW's, and although it does come across that way sometimes, just look at the M3 CSL test on the isle of man, he absolutely raved about it.

He IS very patriotic and so goes mad for astons - just look at the 'great train race.' He no longer has a ferrari, yet he still thinks they are great cars.

All i'm saying is that you can't take him too seriously. Like someone has already pointed out, everyone is biased towards their own personal likes/dislikes, so he is just highlighting those.

Whatever his motives when reviewing a car, or taking the piss out of Hammond, he is a very funny person.

Cheers
Tom
Old 06-16-2004, 08:13 PM   #37
abbor
Regular User

Can't we all just look at Jeremy as a man who says thngs to make it fun...
You always know he's gonna say "And now... it's time for.... the Stig." But even if you know he's gonna say it, it's always fun.. And when he mentions "The Germans" then it's also fun because you know he's gonna say that...
It's for entertainment, that's why they always put cool cars on the uncool wall, it's not because he thinks the 612 is uncool, but too be entertaining...
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:04 AM   #38
Zonda11
Regular User

Good original post!

Zonda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:26 AM   #39
sameerrao
Regular User

Clarkson is a irreverently funny guy. Enjoy him for his wit. Do not take him or his opinions too seriously.

Clarkson is a journalist first and a car reviewer second

And all of you whiners who think he drives shit - Yeah Right ... What are you - the next best thing since Mario Andretti?

I seen him drive pretty well - I was impressed by his abilities in the Carrera GT. Sure he is not as good as Tiff - but Tiff is a past F1 driver for Pete's sake.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:47 AM   #40
topgeartom
Regular User

Originally Posted by abbor
Can't we all just look at Jeremy as a man who says thngs to make it fun...
You always know he's gonna say "And now... it's time for.... the Stig." But even if you know he's gonna say it, it's always fun.. And when he mentions "The Germans" then it's also fun because you know he's gonna say that...
It's for entertainment, that's why they always put cool cars on the uncool wall, it's not because he thinks the 612 is uncool, but too be entertaining...
Very well said.

The vast majority of things he does is just to be purely controversial, but i have to say, i think he's got the whole cool wall spot on, with maybe a few exceptions.

All of you who say he is biased, racist or what the hell, need to open your eyes. Take the cool wall for example again, and how he moved every single ford into the cool section when he wanted a GT!

Like has been said, he does things for a bit of controversy, or to liven a set/section up.

If you complain about his show so much, DONT WATCH IT!!!!

Tom
Old 06-18-2004, 11:11 AM   #41
Sir_GT
Regular User

To the person who said that I haven't watched any american car shows: Yep, I haven't. Maybe that's why I was a bit peeved.

Mind you, I'm downloading the June 13 episode right now. I still love the show, even though I disagree with JC 95% of the time.

This thread was meant as a personal rant. Some of you took it too seriously.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:39 AM   #42
amanthapar
Regular User

hm,mmm
SIR GT... okay.. but i dont understand how u disagree with 95 percent of what he says?

i mean i agree with him about 80 % and roughly thats abt what everyone would probably do.. hmmm.. so guessing u like bmw more than merc, u love porsche, love ferrari...
well clarkson loves them too! i mean he put the 645 in the cool wall and still said it sucked compared to the jag and porsche.. ( isnt that true)
amanthapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #43
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

to be honest......i watch his series because they are great in terms of quality of reports, the programms lenght, it has its funny moment.,....but in terms of the precission of his comments..........and he is biased enough because he says what he thinks or he likes a certain car or not regardless this car is realiable or not ,....i dont agree in many of his statements.....in this terms....i think that the 5th Gears comments when testing a car are more approached to the cars characteristics
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #44
topgeartom
Regular User

Yes but thats the trade-off.

I find 5th gear relly dull.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #45
vv1s34ss
Regular User

I agree that Clarkson is bias BUT I believe is gives credit to a good car even if it's not one of his favorites. For example, he loved to Carrara GT.