Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #61
corvette97
Regular User

and a big hood to
Old 01-10-2004, 12:57 AM   #62
smicah
Regular User

Why don't we compare/contrast the E55 AMG vs a Hennessey Viper 1000TT. They're both stock, come with factory warrenties, and air condition. Does a formula 1 car/cart count as stock? The Bentley EXP Speed 8 or Ferrari F300 race car would be nice stock.
smicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #63
corvette97
Regular User

Why don't we compare/contrast the E55 AMG vs a Hennessey Viper 1000TT. They're both stock, come with factory warrenties, and air condition. Does a formula 1 car/cart count as stock? The Bentley EXP Speed 8 or Ferrari F300 race car would be nice stock.
actually the venom 1000 (hennessey) and the e55 amg are oriented for diferent porp. the hennessey ids more for drags and stuff and the 55 is more for city/higway use, the viper cannot turn as god as the 55
Old 01-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #64
smicah
Regular User

:turn-l: I know, not every car can be compared to every other car. Every car has an advantage, whither it is top speed, handling, price, looks, or power. Whatever you are looking for most in a car is what is best to you. There is no car that is the best in all categories (especially in price). For my money now I'll take a used toyota, my next car will probably be american muscle, and later in life maybe I'll have a few exotics and a jet. :turn-l:
smicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #65
jon_s
Regular User

Having both is very possible.

There was a time that rally cars used both......the supercharger was in use while the turbo was winding up, then the turbo took over!

Theory was to eliminate Turbo Lag!

this is the kind of idea:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Elect...Turbo_20Hybrid
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:05 PM   #66
Copso
Regular User

I rather have a lesser "exotic" car which has a lot better build quality and resale value (no to mention the "intangible" values: presence, finesse, design, motorsport heritage, etc.) than most "muscle" cars (including the Corvette), those cars simply DON'T have such qualities.

True, a Corvette Z06 is an awesome car and its performance (measured by numbers) is smilar to what a Ferrari 360 or Porsche 911 GT3 can do, but even if a Z06 can generate impressive numbers IT WILL ALWAYS BE A CORVETTE, and it will never come near a Ferrari or a Porsche in other many important aspects such as comfort, finesse (yes, finesse defined as the subtlety on how it performs), design, heritage, and lets not forget resale value, etc.

The U.S. Motor Industry has a long list of marketing and sales sucesses, but unfortunatedly doesn't have that same success in international racing (the only notable exception: the Ford GT40 that won Le Mans 4 times in the late 60's, and even if the Ford GT40 was an "american" car, it was designed and built in Europe, mainly in the U.K.).

What is even more, almost all the teams participating in what can be considered to be the "top racing cathegory" in the U.S. (Champ cars, formerly know as CART) race in cars that are designed and built in Europe (be it Lola or Reynard, and the Ford-Cosworth engines) and the only team that actually builds its own cars is Penske which designs and builds their chassis in the U.K. (Swift has stopped racing and building race cars)

What you're buying when you purchase a Ferrari or a Porsche or an Aston Martin, is the racing heritage, the intangible quality, the "prestige" that a particular brand has won over many years of motor expertise, qualities that a traditional American Muscle Car (such as the Corvette Z06) does not have. Having said that, I insist on saying that the Corvette Z06 is an awesome car for the price, and that its performance humbles lots of cars costing (sometimes) two or three times as much, but that still doesn't make it as desirable or prestigious as a Ferrari or Porsche. (only God knows why, right?)

IMHO, it's all about what you want in life: if you want devil-may-care speed at an affordable price, buy a Corvette Z06 and put some sort of forced induction in it, that way nothing (almost) will touch you at the dragstrip or in the event of an impromtu stoplight run. If you want a balanced performance, design, comfort and intangible value package, go save more money and buy a Porsche, Ferrari or similar car.

(I know about this because when I bought mi '02 Audi TT CQ, I had the option of buying a '03 Corvette Z06 for a little over $2,500 USD more, yet I chose the TT. And now, after I've spent almost $6,000 USD in mods fot the TT, I still prefer my car even if it does not come close to the performance of a Z06)

"I disagree to Voltaire's idea about the right of every single person to express anything... There are certain opinions that should be censored out of sheer stupidity" ----> Fernando Savater
Copso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #67
corvette97
Regular User

i simply go to american muscle, cuz' ahm, its cheaper, and awesome power, i really dont mind owning a car that can't give a quick turn, cuz' i don drive like a crazy, 2d. i am not millionare (hope god one day i will) so amrecian muscle goes right for me
Old 01-10-2004, 08:47 PM   #68
corvette97
Regular User

hey, having a supercharge and a turbo, would affect gas mileage?, :roll:
Old 01-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #69
zevolv
Regular User

having both would greatly reduce fuel mileage to keep the air/fuel mixture safe. and American cars can take corners, its called powersliding.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #70
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
i simply go to american muscle, cuz' ahm, its cheaper, and awesome power, i really dont mind owning a car that can't give a quick turn, cuz' i don drive like a crazy, 2d. i am not millionare (hope god one day i will) so amrecian muscle goes right for me
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #71
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Why choose when you can have both EXOTIC and MUSCLE heritage?
Here are some cars that fit this category
-Koenigsegg - Ford V8
-Saleen S7 - American AND Ford V8
-as formentioned the Lingenfelter

Viper and Corvette just lacks Exotica factor
only if the Chevy will put the SS concept into production...