Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: Smart? or not?
cool car 9 56.25%
uncool 1 6.25%
crappy 6 37.50%
I will buy one! 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2003, 04:37 PM   #16
1zippo1
Regular User

Indeed, the smart roadster could be a real hit. It has got the looks and the handling. The only thing they should really do is fit a manual gearbox to it. That would drop the price.

Even JC thought it was a fun car to drive, and he's not easy to satisfy.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:47 PM   #17
mendocino
Regular User

Default Re: SMART? or NOT?

Originally Posted by stradale
The diesel sounds good at first, but the 3liters/100km figure is probably the most ideal figure measured on long distances at cruising speed. Driving it through the typical urban traffic, which the car was meant for, would probably give different results.
hmm not really:

urban 3.9
mixed 3.4
extra urban 3.1

so it's not thirsty at all. it has some downside but leave the consumption as a good point
Old 08-31-2003, 05:18 PM   #18
Johns
Regular User

I think it will be a cool car if u live in a big ass mansion and u can use to drive down ur driveway to pick up ur mail
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:12 AM   #19
jakaracman
Regular User

If you need a small car, Smart is fantastic. With petrol turbo engine you get those wastegate sounds when you lift of or change gears, it's practical orund town and cabrio look good. I've drive around in petrol engined cabrio ofr two weeks and it was fun. A feind of mine has taken it from SLovenia to Sicily a few thuosand kilometres - he says it was one of his best travels ...
I'd go for a roadster, though.
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:59 AM   #20
possessed_beaver
Regular User

IMO, i think it's well.. crap
a nice novelty car, but thats where it ends. the only ppl i can see driving it is poof's, and ppl who like been looked at in gay cars... again poofs, lol

u are better off getting some piece of shit excel, it's faster and with all the money u save u could spend it on something else.
until it's in a competive price it's pretty crap car..

well thats my rant, haahahaha
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:40 AM   #21
stradale
Regular User

Default Re: SMART? or NOT?

Originally Posted by mendocino
Originally Posted by stradale
The diesel sounds good at first, but the 3liters/100km figure is probably the most ideal figure measured on long distances at cruising speed. Driving it through the typical urban traffic, which the car was meant for, would probably give different results.
hmm not really:

urban 3.9
mixed 3.4
extra urban 3.1

so it's not thirsty at all. it has some downside but leave the consumption as a good point
OK, you've certainly surprised me here. That's not far off 3 litres at all. Now that my brain and wallet like it, all it has to win over are my eyes and ears.
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:52 AM   #22
Chingachgook
Regular User

The original Smart it's a fantastic useless car!2 seats,and 12000 ?!!ah ah! :shock:

The roadster-coupè I think it's a little bit more interesting, it's a little sport car but,on the other hand, with so much money I can buy a Clio RS Light or a 106 Rallye and have money for some mod (air filter,brake pads, Recaro seats...)

The Forfour is interesting because of the original styling, but I don't know if it's worth the money!

Not to mention that the original Smart have handling problem, it's easy ti spin it. Here in Italy a magazine, Quattroruote, wrote the comments of various owners, everyone had a 360°!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #23
mendocino
Regular User

Originally Posted by Chingachgook
The original Smart it's a fantastic useless car!2 seats,and 12000 ?!!ah ah! :shock:
Will all the respect, I think you're not getting the point of this car...

the fact is that I quite never travel with more than a passenger, and even if I had to, I could borrow another car. smart is all about space and parking facilities... in that it is quite awesome. It's expensive for what it is, true. but again such as lambos, ferraris ect. it's all about need, that this car only can suffise.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:16 PM   #24
Billyjuan
Regular User

I bet the gas milage is really good never seen one tho but i wouldnt mind having one to drive tot he market or school because V8 have alot of HP but they drink gas like no other lol