Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default Red Bull off to a good start... Think again

This isn't a news update, so don't think the team got robbed of 40,000,000 or somthing.

It is just that all my friends and people around me are saying that red bull is doing so well, and will be above mid-pack.

I just have to say, they will be mid-pack or bottom of the list. In the first race MS was out, one merc, one bmw, and a bar. add them up and you got 4 spots down that red bull can drop in a race.

Was it luck, or are they a good team?
anyone has any other ideas?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
antonioledesma
Regular User

ok.... ferrari undoubtely will be at the top with renault, williams, bar and mclaren (I wish), so those teams fill up the first 5 places.
as always minardi will be competing with jordan for the last place
that leaves us with toyota, RB and sauber (I wrote all the teams?)
and these will compete for the midpack. Sauber has the 2005 ferrari (or I'm wrong?) and will be a very quick car not counting the aeropack from sauber

toyota with it's huge budget must be getting something right now. And RB... I don't know, they showed something and the cosworth engine was always a rather good engine.
maybe it's time for me to sleep...
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
saadie
Regular User

umm .. i would say they were lucky ... so was fisichella in a way ....
i guess because of the new pathetic trye, qualifying, and the car change rule .. the teams didnt really get used to them ... so the weaker teams took advantage of it .. thats why the positions were unexpected ...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
Sydbom
Regular User

the new tyre rules and this track that is hard to overtake on made the race this way. no one want to take to big chances on the first race they need the info from this race to know how much they can push the next time.
and barrichello was up there and so will MS be next race.
it was just that rain that stopped him, but sure, usually if MS starts in the back he will pass 90% of the field before the race is over but this time the track and tyres stopped him. and why did he do that stupid manouver to heidfeld? it just shows that his disrespect for other drivers is still there after all these years and that others shouldnt dare trying overtaking HIM, because then they will pay for it...

well i really hope Kimi and montoya kicks ass this season!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
T5
Regular User

This is a dificult question....
But i donīt think Red Bull can aspire to be above mid-pack,because drivers in F1 depend on car and the car is not that good in my opinion...
Letīs wait and see what happens.
T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i think the only luck in the RB team fell on DC. I think the lower point paying places is about where we can expect to see this team if they make it above mid-field.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

They have got real pace and have shown it....

They'll have their moments but mid field is where they will be at the end of the season.... No doubt its definately a improved car over last years jag though and ford will be shooting themselves for not continuing
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
tekwar
Regular User

They benefitted from the lottery weather qualifying. Not taking back anything from David. But they were clearly slower than the top runners and just holding them up. And being that the Melbourne circuit is so hard to overtake, it helped them a lot. David did do a good job though no doubt, but I do not see this happening often. They will be scoring a few points at best in my opinion in each race.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
irrational_i
Regular User

I do not fully agree. I agree that they are definitely midfield but I do not quite agree that BMW and BAR are superior.
Usually a careful look at the in-car shots will show how unstable a car is. Just look at Minardi and Jordan.

I thought the Red Bull looked very stable and smooth. It is definitely an improvement in the Jaguar! That said - Coulthard's eperience should count, but he was fighting with Webber all the way. The Cosworth engine power helped a lot. I am not convinced that they are worse than Sauber or even BAR. I think they will definitely beat sauber.

Another thing that seemed to be ignored by many people is how well the Toyota kept up with the Renault initially. We now know it suffered from blisters. So they seem to have improved to strong midfield too (from weak midfield).

All in all I think Red Bull can expect points but not often more than 6th place unless something strange happens.

So team wise I think the teams in rough order currently are (Group 1)Mclaren, Renault, Ferrari,(Group 2)Williams, BAR, Red Bull, Toyota,Sauber,(Group 3)Jordan, Minardi. Similar to end last year with somewhat rough group edges.

And remember I am not taking drivers into account - I am talking about the cars themselves.

On another note - this makes an interesting read http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=23731
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
possessed_beaver
Regular User

my take on it was redbull will need to replace it's engine next race, because it was used to hard in australia.

all the other teams were being more conservative with there engine use.
so they would go better with the next race.. should be intresting..

atleast Ferrari diden't win
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
coombsie66
Regular User

IMO Cosworth has had to develop 'reliable' engines (more long term than other high budget engine manufacturers) for many of the teams they have supplied for some time. They have managed to increase thier power outputs too. I can see that other engines on the grid have been de-tuned to allow them to last the two race weekends meaning that the cossie power plant is now proving competitive.
And how the hell anyone can say that the red bull performance was a fluke is beyond me.
Coulthard was lapping dead on the pace for the majority of the race, he had a good start yes, but he was setting a competitive pace all the race. That doesnt suddenly go away, i hope they continue to develop the car as will the other teams, so they remain competitive this year, i see no reason that they wont with the large budget available now.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
tekwar
Regular User

There many times in the race where both the red bull cars were holding up a train of cars behind them. The first part of the race before the pits coulthard had behind him webber, montoya and rubens. The same with klien who had cars packed in neatly behind him as well. Now no doubt the cosworth is no pushover, but my opinion is that they are just fast enough not to be overtaken. Its all about track position in melbourne. Thats my two cents.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 AM   #13
phantomfocus
Regular User

You can't deny the excellent drive put forth by Coulthard. If you compare it to that of Klein, there was no comparison. Unfortounatly I think this race was a bad guage of how the season will truly unfold. Because of Friday's quailifing session, everything was out of place. Not taking anything away from Giancarlo, he drove a fantastic race. But with the way Coulthard has consistantly shown he inability to lay down a quick lap on the one lap qualifying runs, I don't see the Red Bulls starting as high as they did in Melbourne, unless we encounter similar circumstances. With passing as difficult as it is now, Coulthard was able to hold on for a great deal of time. (He wasn't exactly running away from Webber) I think they have the potential to be an upper middle team, especially when you can most likely expect better efforts from BAR. It's going to be difficult for them to consistaly score points, espicallly with both cars.
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:10 AM   #14
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Not taking anything away from Giancarlo, he drove a fantastic race
He drove a Superb race. If Flavio can get him to focus and get himself organised for the whole season, i think Giancarlo might be able to single handedly make Ferrari sweat bullets But that just depends on wether he can remain focused

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 AM   #15
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

They have plenty of money to spend. My hotel was across the water from the redbull launch party, they spent $2mill!! we werent invited :cry:

I dont see them doing any better then what they did as Jag, they were just lucky during qualifying. Still the ITV 2005 Review showed DC is having fun at the team. These new rules with engines should be interesting with relibility and I can see teams like RedBull getting stuck.
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote