Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
philip
Regular User

Heading West on I-10, I'd stop in Biloxi and check out the storm damage. Total devistation near the water, mile back everythings back to normal.

New Orleans is still not fully back, but the crime is, so stay in public areas. Mardi gras is great.

Houston has the space center. Seeing the big Saturn V rocket is the best part. Nearby is Kema and fresh shrimp.

A detour to Austin, Texas is the place on your trip for live music. 6th Street in Austin on the weekend is fantastic. Lots of cute college girls.

Luling has the best Barbque. (Luling City Market)

San Antonio has the "River walk" a nice stop on the way for lunch or dinner, you can check out the Alamo at the same time.

Between San Antonio and El Paso have a book on cd. Don't run out of gas. The real West, not really ever pictured correctly in the movies. Carlsbad caverns is nearby on the way to the North, but only if you like caves. Its probably the biggest in the US.

Have a great time.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
I wonder if there are anything in Texas I should see....*cough* RC *cough*
I don't do touristy stuff - but I would be willing to take you on a wild drive through the woods..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:52 AM   #18
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Watch it RC, i think he's planning a hug attack! :shock:

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:44 AM   #19
Minacious
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Watch it RC, i think he's planning a hug attack! :shock:
I give the best man-hugs.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:27 AM   #20
philip
Regular User

That time of year you will be a little early for the "Thump Queen" in Luling, but it is still well worth it. Get the ribs.

If your stopping in Houston, Goode Co. is indeed the best here in H-town. On I-10 that would be near the Campbell exit. The orginal Good Co. is on Kirby near the Southwest freeway, next door is the Armadillo Palace, where they have live country and western music plus lots of cowboy memorabilia. Be sure to have the pecan pie.

In Texas, Barbque is a serious business.

The rodeo comes to Houston in February, so if thats when your comming, I would definately put that on your list. The best in country and western music comes to Houston during the rodeo.

Since your more interested in car events than tourist stuff, I'll research whats going on car wise in Texas during that time frame. Besides hugging RC45.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #21
666fast
Regular User

I am also thinking of bringing myself a muscle car back home so if anyone of you know abot one sitting in a barn or dealers who got lots of them please put that in here too....
Have you looked into the cost of shipping a car across the pond. I'm sure it isn't cheap. Muscle cars can be had for cheap, but they'll be a bit of a mess. Depends on what it is you are looking for. At least you'll be in the right area, lots of rust free cars down south! LOL
Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

it is usually (best/biggest selection) to hit the Auburn/Chord auction in Auburn Indiana for good deals on muscle cars in good condition... (that auction was the first weekend of september)

but, I know of one quality dealer that doesn't deal in crap... thier asking prices are a little high, but I'd tend to think they are much less than most deal's you'd get in Florida, and California...

http://www.centurybuickgmc.com/gilmo...ct/contact.cfm

the Detroit area will almost guarenteed have the best prices on any condition muscle car; just because they are so prevalent. I can pick up the local muscle trader paper, and do some research.

also, to get an idea of cars in and around the places you are going, this is a great resource

http://www.oldcartrader.com/ocsearchform.php

BTW, so i can keep my ears open, which year range, and car model is perking your interest?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #23
novass
Regular User

I wouldnt suggest an auction just out of principal. I have seen cars go for WAY more than they should at all the auctions I have been too because a lot of people treat it as a competition. When I went to the Barret Jackson a long time ago, I saw a '68 Mustang go for 70 gs and it wasnt anything special, just two guys that wanted it went toe-to-toe and jacked up the price. Of course I can only speak of the auctions I have been too, so others may be different.

Like Nth said, let us know what cars you are interested in and we can all keep a lookout and compare prices around the country.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #24
philip
Regular User

Originally Posted by novass
When I went to the Barret Jackson a long time ago, I saw a '68 Mustang go for 70 gs and it wasnt anything special, just two guys that wanted it went toe-to-toe and jacked up the price. Of course I can only speak of the auctions I have been too, so others may be different.
Barrett-Jackson would be an excellent car event to attend. novass is exactly right unbelievable prices are paid for cars at this auction, but it is something you should not miss. Where else can a Chevelle sell for over a million dollars.

It is on I-10 in Phoenix, Arizona just a little drive from El Paso, Texas. They have a nice web site to tell you what is going on this year.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

Check out the sales from previous years. It may be a little early for you as it ends Jan. 21, 2007. I would change my plans for this one. It is part of car week in Phoenix and is one of maybe 6 auctions going on that week.

Think of it as the Le Mans of car auctions.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Well - it may not be much, but if you can let me know when and if you are able to come through Houston, maybe I can co-ordinate some interesting car track test and you can be "Mystery Guest Driver"
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #26
Vansquish
Regular User

OK...first off, I'm glad you're planning a trip across the pond, it's going to be a lot of fun. You might want to really plan out your route in advance though and figure out how many miles you're going to have to travel. The US isn't exactly a small place and to drive from Memphis to New Orleans isn't too bad of a haul, but all the way across Texas, NM, etc... to LA or SF, I hope you're planning for quite a long time on the road. You're talking about a couple of thousand miles driving all-told and some of it's pretty, but some of it is going to be quite tedious...depending on how fast you're driving/where you end up going.

That having been said, there's a shitload of stuff to see in New Orleans, everything from Jazz clubs, the French Quarter, Bourbon St. and the Mardi Gras celebrations to a fantastic Aquarium...

in Texas, depending on where you decide you want to go, Houston is a huge city with a lot to see as well. I'd recommend stopping by the space center and taking a tour of some sort if you're into that sort of thing. If you'd really like, I might be able to get you in with my aunt or uncle who both work at Johnson Space Center at NASA. San Antonio is another beautiful city to visit. A lot of it is modeled in a sort of pseudo-European style and there's quite a bit of historical stuff to see (The Alamo etc... if you're into that sort of thing).

Heading west yet again, into New Mexico and the "Four Corners" area (New Mex., Colorado, Utah, Arizona) there are a variety of National parks that you might be interested in visiting. The Grand Canyon is of course a huge attraction, but if you go, in order to avoid some of the more "touristy" stuff, I'd go and spend the night on the North Rim at one of the lodges there rather than the South, for as I recall, the South is far more highly populated. Zion national park and Bryce Canyon National Park aren't too far away from there either, and both are absolutely stunningly beautiful. If you're interested in some of the more fundamental "origins of man" sort of history, go to Mesa Verde National Park in New Mexico. There you can see the ruins of ancient native American civilizations that flourished up to about 1500-2000 years ago. Mesa Verde has a lot of these pueblos, but the spectacular thing about this particular park is that most of them are in recessed areas in cliffs and the inhabitants carved hand and footholds into the rock face in order to get to/from their homes.

Into Nevada, of course you end up with Las Vegas and all the wild partying and debauchery you could ever want, but there's more to the area than just that. There are a variety of national parks in the area that would be interesting to visit to see more ancient dwellings and search out pictographs.

In Arizona, if you make it to Scottsdale, there's a huge collection of exotics at a dealership there, pictures of which have been posted here at JW in the past. If I was in the area, I'd sure as hell go.

At any rate, my knowledge doesn't go a whole lot farther West (in the US at any rate) than that, so someone else is going to have to give you that info hehe. Anyway, I hope this has been at least mildly helpful.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

Plymouth Roadrunner early 70`s.
Plymouth Cuda early 70`s.
Dodge Challenger early 70`s.
Dodge Charger up to 70.
Pontiac Firebird Formula early 70`s
Chevrolet Camaro upto 68

If anybody know about onbe standing somewhere for sale just let me know and I`ll check it out...
I'll make a sticky in the Muscle section... I know of one guy who puts his Roadrunner up for sale periodically; but i'm not sure he'll part with it or not LOL... its a 160 mph + roadrunner LOL
Old 10-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #28
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

Plymouth Roadrunner early 70`s.
Plymouth Cuda early 70`s.
Dodge Challenger early 70`s.
Dodge Charger up to 70.
Pontiac Firebird Formula early 70`s
Chevrolet Camaro upto 68

If anybody know about onbe standing somewhere for sale just let me know and I`ll check it out...
I'll make a sticky in the Muscle section... I know of one guy who puts his Roadrunner up for sale periodically; but i'm not sure he'll part with it or not LOL... its a 160 mph + roadrunner LOL

Now that sounds interesting, do you have any pictures of it by any chance?
oddly enough, no
I'll shoot you his email by PM