Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
agentorange
Regular User

Default Insurance!

Ok so a couple of months ago i started a new job and the pay is good enought to buy a car in the price range of 22k-25kUSD , but the only reason i had not bought a new car was becouse i was waiting for some stuff to come off my driving record (3 years in the state of TX) but i got a quote on various cars with my newly clean driving record and i cant believe how much they still want to charge me, the cheapest quote was for and STI and that was still 450USD per month :shock: :shock: . i currently pay 175 just for liability on my P O S. does anyone else on here have the same problem??
agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Yeah, man. I have a clean driving record (4 years). I'm driving a $3000 Mazda and my liability insurance (with discount for multiple cars) is $170 ish/month.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
agentorange
Regular User

damn thats pretty bad,ha my first ever post from my phone.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

It probably depends on the car you're driving. An STi would not be a cheap car to insure. And how does stuff come off your record? Your record is permanent. Are you talking about demerit points being restored or something?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by agentorange
damn thats pretty bad,ha my first ever post from my phone.
Now all you have to do is answer it
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
agentorange
Regular User

i knew it wasnt gonna be cheap but 450 is too much, and it is also cheaper that some of the other cars i had in mind(350z,corvette,s200), and here in texas from what i was explained to by a judge things fall off your driving record after 3 years.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #7
79TA
Regular User

nope not at all. That's partly why I own two cars. I use my Oldsmobile as my daily commuter while I have my Trans Am listed as a collector car (you can do that with modern performance vehicles). Keep the yearly mileage fairly low and your rates will be dirt cheap.

Just a note, collector car insurance almost always requires that you have another car as a primary driver. You can still drive your fun one to work quite a bit but try to put more miles on the commuter.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
agentorange
Regular User

Now all you have to do is answer it
i do,sometimes, i just think your phones broken and not to mention i work six days a week.

nope not at all. That's partly why I own two cars. I use my Oldsmobile as my daily commuter while I have my Trans Am listed as a collector car (you can do that with modern performance vehicles). Keep the yearly mileage fairly low and your rates will be dirt cheap.

Just a note, collector car insurance almost always requires that you have another car as a primary driver. You can still drive your fun one to work quite a bit but try to put more miles on the commuter.
i didnt think about this, i will see what happens today but i dont think it will be any better,
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
sameerrao
Regular User

Your age is the primary reason for the high rates. $450/month is very high.

I was 27 when I first starting insuring myself in the US. I got to pay $1100 for the first 6 months (because of limited driving record in the US). This fell to 900 in the next 6 months and then by $200 increments a few more times.

You need to shop around - maybe you could get a lower rate elsewhere. Sometimes if you take an umbrella policy - e.g. renters insurance (to cover theft in your home) and car insurace your overall rate will be lower.

Talk to bmuller's dad. He might be able to help make recommendations.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
agentorange
Regular User

it is mostly becouse of my age but i dont want to have to wait for something i can have now, if none of this sstuff worksout them im just gonna get an R1.
what are you driving bmuller? and how much do you pay?
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
ARMAN
Regular User

holy cow :shock: 450 A MONTH??? I have insurance 23$ a month do you people make 20x more than we do??? insurance people are probably out of theyr minds :roll:

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yeah definitely shop around.

But it definitely has to do with your age and the car you are insuring. Both of those are big negatives.

Anyway to tack on to your parents policy for now? I think I am down for about $120 a month (full coverage) for my 10 year old M3.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
graywolf624
Regular User

Your record is permanent. Are you talking about demerit points being restored or something?
In most states in the US (another thing that is state specific) after either 3 or 5 years insurance companies can not see anything on your driving record.
Points work the same way.
In fact its more complex then that because some states do not report to other states.. So its possible to get a ticket in say South Carolina and it never appear on your license in Pennsylvania.

In addition once you turn 25 your rates decline drastically. Mine dropped over 1000 a year.

Finally.. get 2 cars and make the toy be the second car. You pay almost nothing on the second car even without insurance because most companies dont charge you the make premium on a second car. As a result I pay 90 a month on my transam. As a point of comparison my daily costs me 170 a month for a mazda. So the car with 305 bhp and rear wheel drive costs me half what a daily driver with 225 bhp and fwd with the same amount of value. (same coverage).
Old 03-09-2007, 12:46 AM   #14
79TA
Regular User

yea, last year I only put 5000 miles on my TA and only had to pay about 90 as well.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
agentorange
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Your record is permanent. Are you talking about demerit points being restored or something?
In most states in the US (another thing that is state specific) after either 3 or 5 years insurance companies can not see anything on your driving record.
Points work the same way.
In fact its more complex then that because some states do not report to other states.. So its possible to get a ticket in say South Carolina and it never appear on your license in Pennsylvania.

In addition once you turn 25 your rates decline drastically. Mine dropped over 1000 a year.

Finally.. get 2 cars and make the toy be the second car. You pay almost nothing on the second car even without insurance because most companies dont charge you the make premium on a second car. As a result I pay 90 a month on my transam. As a point of comparison my daily costs me 170 a month for a mazda. So the car with 305 bhp and rear wheel drive costs me half what a daily driver with 225 bhp and fwd with the same amount of value. (same coverage).
your right but i would hate to move to a different state to get decenly priced insurance. but like i said, im desperate for speed so if wosrst comes to worst im just gonna get a bike......