Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 11-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
obdr
Regular User

Default A simple idea for the next Top Gear Special

Instead of all these "Top Gear Specials" where they go off to America or Africa they need to do this:

Todays Top Gear is another special. Its another challenge and this time, its quite serious. You see, James, Hammond and I are headed to the infamous Nurburgrin..........

You each have a budget of $70,000. Using that, you must purchase a vehicle, drive it from the studio to the Nurburgring, attend a 3 day advanced drivers course, spend one day afterwards lapping the 'Ring for practice with Sabine and then the three of you will each do two timed laps of the 'Ring. The one with the best average lap time wins the challenge. You must then drive your cars back to the studio as quickly as possible.

Rules:

1. Your car must be currently in production.
2. Your car must be street legal
3. Your car must cost no more then $70,000. You are allowed to use whatever money you save on new tires for the 'Ring but these tires must be the same type as comes fitted standard to your car. No racing slicks.
4. No performance modifications to your car are allowed other then fitting fresh tires assuming you have the money left over to do so.
5. Your car should be well balanced. It should be the perfect balance between daily driver and weekend trackday car as you must drive it from the studio to the 'Ring and then back again.
6. Your car must be able to hold 4 passengers in reasonable comfort.
7. Surprise: Your car must hold 4 passengers because you are going to be driving 3 of your very own family members with you to the 'Ring.

The slowest average lap time will be returning from the 'Ring driving a Volkswagon Beatle with the other presenters children in the car!!! The Stig will drive the Beatle to the 'Ring (would be funny as hell) but he will then drive your losing 'Ring car home for you. The other two will lose points for every minute they lose to the Stig on the way back to the studio. Points will also be lost for worst average fuel economy.

The goal of this challenge: To determine the ideal car for the man (or woman) who has a family, can have only one car, and enjoys the weekend trackday from time to time. So the car should get good fuel economy, seat 4 passengers, and be ready for light to moderate trackday fun at least one weekend a month.

Now tell me....would you not LOVE to see them do that?!?!? To me that would have it all. Humor (Stig driving a Beatle to the 'Ring), the excitement of the three racing at the 'Ring, and real good car info. I mean who wouldnt want out what car is best suited to these circumstances!!??!?!?! What car can do it all?? I know Id pay to see an episode like that.

I can see Clarkson buying a $70,000 car and having no money for tires and losing out on tires alone. I can see Hammond trying to bring a Porsche and claiming it can seat 4 comfortably only to get hell from his family for sticking them in the back for a trip to Germany. I can see May bringing a Morgan or something and driving it around the 'Ring in 12 minutes. Hehehehehe. And just th thought of the Stig driving to the 'Ring in a Beatle makes me laugh.

I mean jeez guys. An episode like this would have it ALL!!!

-we get to see their families
- we get to see Sabine teaching them to drive again
- we get to see the Nurburgring
- we get to see them go through some sort of racing school
- we get to see a great road test with a bnuch of peeps in the car
- we get to see an awesome race
-Im sure alot of comedy and drama will ensue if there were ever an episode like this!!!!

Last edited by obdr; 11-14-2007 at 12:23 PM.
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Svensson
Regular User

Of course something like that would make it the best TG episode ever... but $70,000 each?? That's just not gonna happen. Not even with $7,000
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
obdr
Regular User

Well obviously they would be lent the cars. I mean seriously....when you consider what they must have spent on the Arctic Circle special, the Africa special, etc....surely they have the budget for this kind of thing.

I mean hell, 5th Gear has been giving away Ferrari's and Porsches and such at the end of EVERY episode this past season.

I cant imagine that Top Gear doesnt have the budget to do this. Maybe they could plan it for the last episode of next season. Some super special two hour episode to end the next season with a bang. Top Gear ratings are huge. Its just gotta have the money to do it!!!!
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

That is not simple at all. I think i have an easier task understand algebra than that lol. Besides the BBC would never give that amount of money to the three. Maybe if they simply rented cars costing up to 70,000, but purchasing would never happen.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
martin100
Regular User

Sounds really good indeed, but i guess it remains a dream
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote