Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #31
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by xbeakerx View Post
these are the people i would call to take the spots of the EUR Top Gear in America...

Jay Leno - Jeremy Clarkson
Tim Allen - Richard Hammond
Jason Presley - James May
Rhys Millen - The Stig

just an idea, all of them are car guys and they can all drive the piss out cars
Jay or Seinfeld would fit that bill nicely... as would Tim Allen~ perspective JC
Ryan Secrest~ ug... kinda pop like... kinda gay.... kinda Richard Hamster, including in physical stature (small) --- could easily be the outsider view
some 'well spoken gentelman' who fancies cars

Robbie Gordon as the Stig
Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #32
79TA
Regular User

they do... its on BBC America. i watch every sunday at 8pm
It's just too bad that the ones on BBC America are from a season or two ago and are sometimes edited a bit. One time when they aired the one with the FQ-400 feature they left out the top gear drag race against the cheap diesel rental car (which of course the torqueless FQ-400 lost) as not to offend. They also did that same bit of editing when they showed them on the Discovery Channel. lame.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 AM   #33
xbeakerx
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Jay or Seinfeld would fit that bill nicely... as would Tim Allen~ perspective JC
Ryan Secrest~ ug... kinda pop like... kinda gay.... kinda Richard Hamster, including in physical stature (small) --- could easily be the outsider view

couldnt deal with seinfeld... to much of a comedian

fuck ryan seacrap. he is infecting everything now. i just want to smack that stupid smile off his face. stick with american idol shit

like i said, Jay Leno, Time Allen and Jason Priestley
xbeakerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 AM   #34
79TA
Regular User

Amen!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 AM   #35
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Agreed!
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:12 AM   #36
xbeakerx
Regular User

The Stig couldn't be a NASCAR driver. all they know how to drive is left...

hell the track will probably be a oval track if they do that... most americans wouldn't know what to do if they saw someone turning left and right on a race track.

they'd be like
"what's he doing, Ethel?"
"why is he jerking that car around?"
"where are the high banks and what the hell is a lam---bo---genny?"

i'm not the biggest NASCAR fan if you didnt notice...

Last edited by xbeakerx; 02-01-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #37
79TA
Regular User

hell the track will probably be a oval track if they do that... most americans would know what to do if they saw someone turning left and right on a race track.

they'd be like
Wow, you do realize that Robby Gordon is better known as a Baja legend right? Let's not forget that he is also a former Indy car racer. He's proven himself to be more than capable in events such as the Dakar Rally. Also, as far as NASCAR goes, he's one of the "road course aces." He can more than hold his own against the likes of Ron Fellows (my other favorite driver) in a stock car. What's more though, is that he has professionally driven just about every type of race vehicle known to man and, therefore, would be more flexible than most race drivers who have spent most of their careers in one specific type of car on one type of surface. He would make a great test driver for the myriad of cars (and perhaps events) thrown at him.

It looks like you left out a "not" in your sentence.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #38
HeilSvenska
Regular User

hell the track will probably be a oval track if they do that... most americans would know what to do if they saw someone turning left and right on a race track.

they'd be like

i'm not the biggest NASCAR fan if you didnt notice...
Please. You don't even know who Robby Gordon is. He's pretty much done everything short of F1. Open wheel, Sports car, Dakar... He's a Jack of all trades.

And NASCAR drivers are quite talented.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #39
xbeakerx
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
Wow, you do realize that Robby Gordon is better known as a Baja legend right? Let's not forget that he is also a former Indy car racer. He's proven himself to be more than capable in events such as the Dakar Rally. Also, as far as NASCAR goes, he's one of the "road course aces." He can more than hold his own against the likes of Ron Fellows (my other favorite driver) in a stock car. What's more though, is that he has professionally driven just about every type of race vehicle known to man and, therefore, would be more flexible than most race drivers who have spent most of their careers in one specific type of car on one type of surface. He would make a great test driver for the myriad of cars (and perhaps events) thrown at him.

It looks like you left out a "not" in your sentence.
thanks... I inserted the "not" (its 2am)

Last edited by xbeakerx; 02-01-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 AM   #40
xbeakerx
Regular User

i'm just saying that it should be an unknown. i suggested Rhys Millen. he is known by his dad and his drifting but not to the mainstream public. we shouldnt resort to anyone that would be a celebrity(hence NASCAR drivers). you pop in robbie gordon in as "The Stig", he mine as well don't even put a helmet on.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #41
HeilSvenska
Regular User

^It's not like what we think will actually happen. I'd rather not have any non-UK Top Gear. And I know who the Millens are. We all probably do anyways. Robby Gordon's pretty popular, but he's not one of the "mainstream" NASCAR drivers like Jeff or Jimmie Johnson. And the Stig only worked because his very existence was a joke. I'd be very much happy if they just had Robby Gordon as himself doing lap times for the US show. More so than having a US Stig.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #42
xbeakerx
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
^It's not like what we think will actually happen. I'd rather not have any non-UK Top Gear. And I know who the Millens are. We all probably do anyways. Robby Gordon's pretty popular, but he's not one of the "mainstream" NASCAR drivers like Jeff or Jimmie Johnson. And the Stig only worked because his very existence was a joke. I'd be very much happy if they just had Robby Gordon as himself doing lap times for the US show. More so than having a US Stig.
the great things about "The Stig" is that you cant be bias against him. you dont know his background and you dont know what he has raced in, you just know he can kill the track everytime he gets in the drivers seat. thats why he has the best track time of any driver on Top Gear.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 AM   #43
HeilSvenska
Regular User

the great things about "The Stig" is that you cant be bias against him. you dont know his background and you dont know what he has raced in, you just know he can kill the track everytime he gets in the drivers seat. thats why he has the best track time of any driver on Top Gear.
Then they shouldn't bother with the Stig. The Stig should remain in the UK version only. And your argument is absurd. You're saying that if we don't know who the Stig is, his track time will be best. It doesn't matter if we know who the Stig is or not, as long as he sets consistent lap time. The secrecy behind the identity of the Stig just makes us think that he's the best driver for the job. Whatever we think shouldn't affect the performance of any professional driver.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #44
79TA
Regular User

Yea, Robby would make a great Stig. There's no reason he couldn't keep his identity a secret. He isn't high profile enough to be stalked by the NASCAR press. People are used to him flying back and forth all over anyway. Nevertheless, it's not likely to happen. Also, I don't find myself biased against a test driver unless he seems to be driving poorly (perhaps on purpose to make a comparable car look better). Just watch Best Motoring or some such show for examples . . . oh I missed the apex . . . 4 times and then went way wide . . .
Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #45
xbeakerx
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Then they shouldn't bother with the Stig. The Stig should remain in the UK version only. And your argument is absurd. You're saying that if we know who the Stig is, his track time will be best. It doesn't matter if we know who the Stig is or not, as long as he sets consistent lap time. The secrecy behind the identity of the Stig just makes us think that he's the best driver for the job.

then you might as well call the show "Fifth Gear"...