Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 03-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default 2006 Shelby GT500

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=10091

Couldn't find anything in here about it.....
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:56 AM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

hmm unless i things have changed, 'available in 2006' if at all, as a 2007 model, unless everyone has been working 10 hour/7 day weeks since my dad moved to Lincoln last summer.

in that time, they had several development mules/engines... so i guess they opted for the iron block, which i wasnt expecting
everything else...
i told you so
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=20294
Old 03-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
tigerx
Regular User

all the media pictures is posted on UCP forums, it's totally amazing.

you can find a few HIGH res here:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...0-Show-Car.htm
Old 03-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

LOL - an iron block in 2007... this isn't 1907... Ford really is scraping the bottom of the barrel...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
coloradosilver
Regular User

Factory Supercharded and only 450? LMAO.....Sissies!

Any pricing guesses?
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 AM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
LOL - an iron block in 2007... this isn't 1907... Ford really is scraping the bottom of the barrel...
well, that wasnt quite my argument.. it would go something like this...
Code:
mustang engineers: (not in order of events, but the general idea)
ok, IRS works great for this car... oh, we dont have a rear end good enough? ok, well lets make a race derived solid axle.  (not really terrible IMO)

so... we want something race proven/derived... how about Ford GT heads block... we did it before in the 2000 cobra R :idea: ?
well... but normal people want to buy this car, so we have to cut costs somewhere. ok, Iron bocks are cheaper to make, hell, we have tons of them over at the F150 plant :idea: 

ok, good idea... but that engine really isnt that powerful

ok, so lets supercharge it :idea: 
well, we arent developing the hp/tq figures we'd like... lets go ahead and barrow some GT parts... some Aluminum heads :idea: 
waite, we saw that happen at GM years ago, only to have major corrosive failures... are you sure? we dont like too much warentee work, ya know...

yeah, im sure... we need those figures. 

I know, lets make a better gasket :idea: 
sounds good
in any case, i still look forward to this car
Old 03-24-2005, 02:16 AM   #7
coloradosilver
Regular User

^^^^ Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing one too..in my rearview.

One thing I do have to give credit for is the sound these cars make. I really do like the sound of a SVT Cobra Mustang with an aftermarket exhaust system.

But honestly, why would they build this car and make it so underpowered? Especailly if it's going to be the Uber Mustang they're making it out ot be. I don't think it worthy of the GT500 logo.

In the past, the last SVT Cobra (stock) was somewhat competative to the stock Z06. Now it's not even going to be close, the mustang is going to get eaten alive! Not to mention that it's about as aerodynamic as a brick. I think Ford really messed this one up good.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:06 AM   #8
FoxFour
Regular User

The hp and torque numbers are probably going to be underrated. Even though the final hp numbers will not come out until the build date grows closer, the numbers will be most likely near the 500 hp region. I still think that they should have brought over the last supercharged Cobra engine. 390 hp (actually closer to 420) would be enough and Ford could sell the car at a more affordable price. Besides, the majority of the Cobra owners with these engines don't keep the stock engine output anyways.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #9
yg60m
Regular User

Some pics here : http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/79446
Old 03-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

as ive said all along, this car will be close to a stock Z06 in a straight line. i will still back that up. 450hp is severely underrating this car

this car is running on much less boost then the 4.6L dohc cobra engine... and underdrive pully, overdrive supercharger pully, and a remapped ecu will make it extraordinarily powerful... again, becoming the 'bang for the buck'
Old 03-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #11
zr2man99
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver

One thing I do have to give credit for is the sound these cars make. I really do like the sound of a SVT Cobra Mustang with an aftermarket exhaust system.

But honestly, why would they build this car and make it so underpowered? Especailly if it's going to be the Uber Mustang they're making it out ot be. I don't think it worthy of the GT500 logo.

In the past, the last SVT Cobra (stock) was somewhat competative to the stock Z06. Now it's not even going to be close, the mustang is going to get eaten alive! Not to mention that it's about as aerodynamic as a brick. I think Ford really messed this one up good.

LOL, since when is 450hp underpowered? The SVT does not really compete with the corvette. The Stang has four seats, and is not really a sports car like the vette. Also the vette is priced a lot higher. I am sure Ford was not really thinking about taking sales away from the vette. They are probably going after the new GTO and Charger.

The new Z06 will beat just about anything.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

Originally Posted by zr2man99
Originally Posted by coloradosilver

LOL, since when is 450hp underpowered? The SVT does not really compete with the corvette. The Stang has four seats, and is not really a sports car like the vette. Also the vette is priced a lot higher. I am sure Ford was not really thinking about taking sales away from the vette. They are probably going after the new GTO and Charger.

The new Z06 will beat just about anything.
i agree, the cobra was never meant to take sales away from the z06. the vette is a sports car 1st and a muscle car second. the cobra is quite the opposite.

and about the power, as most have stated here the 2003/04 cobras were underrated from the factory and this GT-500 is quite the same. i mean the 03-04 cobras responded very well to simple bolt ons. for example intake, exhaust, pully, chip and a decent tune yielded about 450whp. im sure with the same mods this new cobra would be in the 500whp vacinity.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

the cobra was never meant to take sales away from the z06. the vette is a sports car 1st and a muscle car second. the cobra is quite the opposite.
well, the marketing department at ford have had this to say.... 'the mustang Cobra for those who couldn't for one reason, or another, get a Corvette'
Old 03-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #14
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
the cobra was never meant to take sales away from the z06. the vette is a sports car 1st and a muscle car second. the cobra is quite the opposite.
well, the marketing department at ford have had this to say.... 'the mustang Cobra for those who couldn't for one reason, or another, get a Corvette'
^^^Bingo!!

I don't care what people say about it being a muscle car 1st and a sports car 2nd. Whoever says this is just a rep trying to market the car. The reality on the street is that Cobra owners and Z06 owners look at eachother as direct competition. When these two pull up the line the owner of the Cobra isn't going to say "I can't do this because you're in a sports car and I'm in a muscle car" The reality is that the two cars are similar and the owners are VERY cometative with eachother both at the track and on the Strip. But now the Z06 will be widening that margin of comparability.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:35 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

As stated before, the Mustang Cobras have an awesome sound, and I know when I come across them on the street they want to go head to head - as they do see the Z as a target.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote