Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default 383ci 535rwhp N/A (95hp/l) LS1/6

Looks like we are into a new era of normally aspirated LS1/6 based power boys and girls

The magic 550rwhp from the stock bore in a street applicaiotn is just around the corner

One can only imagine waht the 408ci stroked LS2 motor will do ....

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
For those who might have missed it, I posted this information a day or so ago about my recent chassis dyno results from a relatively mild 383 combination....

----------------------------------------------------------
Well I finally finished the install of the 383 that I shared some engine dyno results with you guys awhile back. It was impressive on the engine dyno and by the looks of today’s results just as impressive sitting between the fender wells of my C5 project car. Without a whole lot of time to tune and dial her in (my 346 combination came together and stages and I had logged some serious dyno time on that package), she put up 535 HP / 474 Ft/lbs (thru a 4.10 ring and pinion I might add).

To say I’m pretty jazzed about it would be an understatement….big numbers for a small displacement stroker that is a relatively mild combination. Not to mention if I really had the time, I would bet anything there is a 540/480 number in this combo….I will continue to refine this package and keep you guys abreast of my progress.

Just to quickly refresh your memory, this 383 consists of the following:

A shortblock “kit” provided by Scott Shafiroff Racing Engines (basically a balanced rotating assembly which consisted of an Eagle 4’ crank, Callies “Comp Star” rods, Mahle -7 cc dish pistons, and a fully machined/honed new aluminum LS1 block).
I blueprinted and assembled the engine personally. I did opt to change out the rings to a set of Total seal gapless top, which I feel added nicely to the overall package and results.

Other key components installed are:

ATI Dampener (only 10% underdrive)

QTP High volume pump (which I ported for better efficiency)

QTP 2 piece billet cover (priceless for cam swaps on the engine dyno)

Mezzeire electric water pump

Comp Cam’s custom grind solid mechanical street roller (242/248 .650 ish lift)
(Acts similar to a street friendly 234/240 hyd. grind....idles @ 900 with slight chop)

AFR 225 heads (PN 1630) milled to 65 cc’s (NOTE: Final CR only 11.0 to one!)

Crane Cams brand new “composite bearing” 1.7 shaft rockers (no needle bearings)

Ported FAST 90 mm Intake / NW 90 mm TB

LG “Pro Long tube” 1.75 inch headers

Random Technologies 3” high flow Cats (Yes…this power was made thru the cats)

Z06 Titanium mufflers with custom “bypass” that I fabricated using QTP electric cut-outs
(Note: thru the Z06 mufflers our best run of the day was 530 RWHP….impressive
considering how stealthy and quiet the car is with the cut-outs closed)

Note that the car was ran on the dyno today (and always) with heavier than stock Wilwood 13" rear rotors (which would hurt the #'s a little), and in full street trim....every belt connected and the exhaust exiting the rear of the car even with the cut-out (muffler by-pass) open. There were zero dyno tricks or BS used to achieve these numbers. Also, as most of the locals here know, Andy's dyno is known to be a little "stingy" with the numbers....

Speaking of which, I would also like to thank Andy at A&A Corvette for the use of his facility, dyno, and favorite tuner Charlie (who is also a personal friend of mine)….Charlie gave up watching the Super Bowl because he knew how anxious I was to get this car on the rollers. Also of noteworthy importance here is that fact that Charlie tuned my car with speed density (no MAF) and although we both agree it needs a little more time “finessing” the drivability part of the equation, from 2K to redline it’s smooth, crisp, and powerful.

I am going to edit this post shortly to include two short videos taken today….one of them showing a couple of runs on the chassis dyno (not the best run of the day however), and the other a little footage of the car grabbing a few gears on the street. Note that traction is non existent in first gear (totally peddling it), barely existent in second (note the “lift” of throttle trying to get it to hook up), and finally getting some legs underneath her in 3rd and 4th. The car feels awesome…..can’t wait to get her to the track!

Click here for chassis dyno vid.... http://www.guerragroup.com/TV_creati...assis_Dyno.mpg

Click here for car in action.... http://www.guerragroup.com/TV_creati..._traction.mpeg

Actual dyno gragh can be seen a few posts down....(thanks Charlie!)

Also here is a link to the original thread I started detailing this engine in various configurations on the engine dyno....Its informative but very long

http://www1.ls1tech.com/forums/showt...=384450&page=1

Regards to all,
Tony Mamo
-----------------------------------------------------------
The link to the vids wont work on this site (Im working on it) but here is a link to my original post where the video links are functional...
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...=449104&page=1

Thanks Guys...
Tony

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

So you're gunna do it too?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
Well - the reason I was going to go with the 408ci LS2 (long stroke 364ci LS2) is because 383ci setups (long stroke 346ci LS1/6) were struggling to get over 500rwhp in streetable form.

But with these numbers being done, then a stroker crank, heads and tune 383ci LS6 putting down 500rwhp is a slam dunk
Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
sentra_dude

That's impressive, how's the reliability with this set-up? Will the required normal maintenance increase a lot with the engine pumping out all that N/A power?

LOL, "High 13s I think"

That sounded badass when he let off in the second vid. 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
TNT
Regular User

hmmm 550 hp N/A not to bad. so what kind of times would that net you?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
Minacious
Regular User

Finally some video to accompany the specs. It's always fun to see and hear these machines in action. I'm curious what kind of long term reliability we will see?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #7
blinkmeat
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by blinkmeat
Well - the reason I was going to go with the 408ci LS2 (long stroke 364ci LS2) is because 383ci setups (long stroke 346ci LS1/6) were struggling to get over 500rwhp in streetable form.

But with these numbers being done, then a stroker crank, heads and tune 383ci LS6 putting down 500rwhp is a slam dunk
nice - is that burning rubber I smell?

video 8)
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious
Finally some video to accompany the specs. It's always fun to see and hear these machines in action. I'm curious what kind of long term reliability we will see?
as reliable as any of the other 10,000's of 383ci strokers out there
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Minacious
Regular User

Indeed. Well I guess that's good to know. I just figured that the tolerance levels were being pushed pretty close to their limits, but that shows what I know. Hell, I just drive them, I don't build them.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
MihaiBadus
Regular User

RC going about HP/L.? I thought that was ricer stuff.
MihaiBadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious
Indeed. Well I guess that's good to know. I just figured that the tolerance levels were being pushed pretty close to their limits, but that shows what I know. Hell, I just drive them, I don't build them.
I am sure you are right though - afterall there is nothing like the robust value and strength of a hitech german engine.