Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-18-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
FoxFour
Regular User

Default F-16 crash. Update (4/19) with video of crash site

Just happened a few minutes ago. An F-16D (two seater) from Shaw, departing Charleston AFB, crashed into the peninsula waters. Both pilots are fine. I guess that the Coast Guard Dauphin helicopter is plucking them up now. The Coast Guard chopper is stationed about three minutes away from the scene. When I get more info I will inform you all.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Damn dude go take some pictures! And try to sell it to some news paper people or something!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Damn, that's crazy, keep us in touch, maybe some pics if you can...

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
crayzayjay
Regular User

Run down there with a camera dude!

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
jon_s
Regular User

Holy crap!!

We should stat the JW news agency!!!
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
FoxFour
Regular User

It is near-by. But it's rush-hour and it would take me about 15 minutes to get there. From what they are talking about, the crash occurred near the marina. I'm listening to the news unfold now. News crews are scrambling there now. The police has blocked off the area anyways. The reporter is nearby and sees what's left of the wreckage. It's buried in pluff mud
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
Old 04-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
crayzayjay
Regular User

What are the odds this is blamed on terrorists?

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
FoxFour
Regular User

Nah, probably just crashed from compressor stall. Here's about where it crashed. The black blot is approximately where it's at.
Adolf Galland
Old 04-18-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

So i take it the Base is somewhere around Charleston Harbor? That's nuts dude, good thing everyone is ok.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
So i take it the Base is somewhere around Charleston Harbor? That's nuts dude, good thing everyone is ok.
It is about 8 miles from the crash site. Looks like he departed from runway 15, which points out to the Atlantic. The red dot denotes the location of the airbase. The pilots are fine so now it is becoming a crash investigation. It's 6:50 EST. I'm going to get a bite to eat. Be back in about an hour
[/b]
Adolf Galland
Old 04-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
FoxFour
Regular User

Here is the link to the airbase where the '16 is stationed at. OOh, airshow on the 23rd!
http://www.shaw.af.mil/index.asp
Adolf Galland
Old 04-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
gobs3z
Regular User

I hope some of you realize that F-16's have the design flaw of only having one engine, when my sister(flight surgeon) was based in Okinawa she saw at least 4 F-16's crash with 2 pilot casualities. Glad to here everyone is okay, keep the updates coming, doesn't seem to be on the national news.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
FoxFour
Regular User

Well, nothing else to report. I will check tomorrow and update on the situation. One of the local TV stations will be having an online video report. As soon as that video comes up, I will post here.
Adolf Galland
Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #14
sentra_dude

Keep us updated, glad to hear both pilots were ok.

Originally Posted by gobs3z
I hope some of you realize that F-16's have the design flaw of only having one engine, when my sister(flight surgeon) was based in Okinawa she saw at least 4 F-16's crash with 2 pilot casualities. Glad to here everyone is okay, keep the updates coming, doesn't seem to be on the national news.
Design flaw?

Considering the fact that the F-16 was meant to be a relatively cheap, small, and easy to operate fighter; giving it two engines would have defeated those design goals.

Military aviation is dangerous, and they do have crashes...can't really avoid it.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Keep us updated, glad to hear both pilots were ok.

Originally Posted by gobs3z
Design flaw?

Considering the fact that the F-16 was meant to be a relatively cheap, small, and easy to operate fighter; giving it two engines would have defeated those design goals.

Military aviation is dangerous, and they do have crashes...can't really avoid it.
Yep - have to agree - how can a design criteria be a design flaw?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote