Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #31
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by FerrariFerrari
If I'm am not mistaken the Catholic faith is a conservatively minded faith so I think
that most popes weather young or old would tend to lean in the conservative direction.
It's just part of being a Catholic.

this is true, but within conservative institution there still lies liberals. maybe not in the sense that you and i think of, but more to the point where they will accept change instead of forcing it.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #32
nthfinity
Regular User

ok, i have this to say...

how can 'liberal catholics' expect that the pope (this or any) is charged with modernizing the religion...

it is impossible to rewright the scripture, and if the pope is charged with leading based upon the bible/ life of Jesus, i dont see how that can be seen as political in any way, shape or form... it is specifically the way it is, and free from right/left wing pollitics.

JP II was seen as a pollitical figure for his role in rejecting oppresive communism... but it was communism that interferred with Christian beliefes and moral in accordance to the scripture... including personal freedoms

i hear it on NPR/CBS/CNN on how this guy was head of the department formerly known as the inquisition... which historically we relate to terrible attrocities in old whitch and herecy hunts (renesance scientists for example) this is far from the case today in the Catholic church, where new science is far from herecy.

Benedict XVI simply has a history of upholding the church, and scripture... and not recognising things such as homosexuality as a valid, and holy matramony; as well as celebacy/women priesthood and relating that christianity is the one true way to salvation. -- and contraception

the world press is all too quick to jump on this new papacy

although i am not catholic, i wish him well, and a long papacy
Old 04-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #33
possessed_beaver
Regular User

im real happy with the new pope :roll:

just what the church needs to go back.. ohh lets say another 50 years....

nice work!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:45 PM   #34
FerrariFerrari
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
how can 'liberal catholics' expect that the pope (this or any) is charged with modernizing the religion...

it is impossible to rewright the scripture, and if the pope is charged with leading based upon the bible/ life of Jesus, i dont see how that can be seen as political in any way, shape or form... it is specifically the way it is, and free from right/left wing pollitics.

JP II was seen as a pollitical figure for his role in rejecting oppresive communism... but it was communism that interferred with Christian beliefes and moral in accordance to the scripture... including personal freedoms
That's what I was saying. He's sticking to the Catholic faith and it's teachings. If
you disagree with the catholic teachings than you're not a catholic and it doesn't
concern you. Forgive me if I am being a little bit blunt, I am actually very understanding.

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
this is true, but within conservative institution there still lies liberals. maybe not in the sense that you and i think of, but more to the point where they will accept change instead of forcing it. Wink
Some things don't change. Just think about it, are you going to be more
likely to have faith in something that doesn't change or something that does change. I wouldn't want to be part of a religion that changed every
10 years.
FerrariFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:18 AM   #35
mrzonda
Regular User

i think you hit the nail on the head, nthfinity.

btw, all german youth were enrolled in the 'hitler youth,' whether they liked it or not.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:47 AM   #36
possessed_beaver
Regular User

The Catholic had no trouble accepting evolution..

and the creation of the universe from the big bang...
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #37
MercedeSChink
Regular User

oh my, i didn't expect this post to last up to 3 pages...anyways i've heard this new pope is very conservative, does this mean watever JPII has done previously, the church is gonna back track!?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:31 AM   #38
ae86_16v
Regular User

I don't know about you guys, but the pictures of him does not seem very warming. Maybe it is just his demenor and he is old.

Originally Posted by MercedeSChink
oh my, i didn't expect this post to last up to 3 pages...anyways i've heard this new pope is very conservative, does this mean watever JPII has done previously, the church is gonna back track!?
Actually he was practically John Paul's right hand man. And if you remember correctly John Paul was pretty conservative too, especially when it came to Church Doctrines.

Most likely he'll stick along the same lines.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:51 AM   #39
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I don't know about you guys, but the pictures of him does not seem very warming
Go check out the Emperor Popeltine thread in Jokes and Humor

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #40
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
I don't know about you guys, but the pictures of him does not seem very warming
Go check out the Emperor Popeltine thread in Jokes and Humor
Holy shit, I was just thinking about the exact same thing last night after I made this post. I was thinking, you know he looks like the Emperor from Star Wars.

Hahhaha. . . uncanny.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote