Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 04-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Default For the folks from the UK ...

I used to be a big fan of British Comedy and have seen a lot of awesome TV shows in the late 80s and early 90s.

I want to know what's running now or been released recently that is good in your opinion. I am hoping to find something that I can purchase on DVD here in the US.

To give you an example of what I liked in the past, here are my faves:

- Jeeves and Wooster (P G Woodhouse)
- The Piglet files (spoof on MI5)
- Drop the Dead Donkey (News room stuff)
- Mr. Bean
- Yes, Minister / Yes, Prime Minister
- Fawlty Towers
- The Office

There are just some stuff I cant stand:
- Absolutely fabulous
- Are you being served
- Benny Hill

I just saw a DVD with title "XXX and Horses". I forgot the first part of the name. Its about con men and stars Nicholas Lyndhurst - the guy from Piglet files. Is this any good?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I'm pretty sure i've seen Mr. Bean stuff at Suncoast. I know i've seen Benny Hill but since you can't stand him it doesn't matter

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:26 AM   #3
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Lol well if it's "Only Fools and Horses" then it is absolutely classic British Comedy. Recently woted Britain's favourite comedy series.. i'm sure there will be plenty of stuff about the show still on the BBC's website, but I would definitely recommend it!

Also, if you like the Fawlty Towers series (classic as well) then you should check out the Monty Pythons, or even the "Blackadder" shows that followed with Rowan Atkinson, just avoid the very first series. Let me know what you think if you get hold of it!
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
gis
Regular User

^^^ he is right,if you like fawlty towers you HAVE TO check out monty pythons and blackadder,they are old school british comedy,the monty pythons have the same guy in it from fawlty towers and blackadder has the dude who plays mr bean,so it just shows straight away you will like them.

new stuff,id have to say that Little Britain show has been VERY popular here,i have the DVD here so i think its good,its stupid but funny,lol
Only fools and horses is another good one,you cant go wrong with that show,some real classic episodes in there

if you liek to watch stand up shows with audiences,then check out Jasper Carrot 24 carrot gold show and also any of Billy Connelly's stuff,they do great live shows
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
mindgam3
Regular User

I would recommend Little Britain as its been an oustanding hit in the UK over the past few years - taken the country by storm, but couldnt gurantee you'd like it. Although you like the office which i didn't think many Americans would get so you may like it
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:30 AM   #6
stradale
Regular User

I would suggest Blackadder and Monty Python as well! Also I think Not The Nine O'Clock News and Smith & Jones can be recommended, although I don't know if that's available on DVD. NTNON is by Atkinson, Smith and Jones. It's pretty old now, but still very funny.

The League of Gentlemen is a recent show that I like very much. You should check that out as well.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
crayzayjay
Regular User

Little Britain is very funny

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #8
Anonymous

The others have missed Yes minister and prime minister, most of these are out on DVD, i only have one dvd but it really is incredibly clever comedy, i highly recommend

As for recent stuff. little britain is very good, series one is out on DVD and is the best IMO. Full of insane characters and sketches
Another very good one is Peter Kay's Pheonix Nights, sheer brilliance IMO, about a nothern club.

Originally Posted by stradale

The League of Gentlemen is a recent show that I like very much. You should check that out as well.
yup especially the first series very dark
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #9
gis
Regular User

i wasnt a fan of phoenix nights,im not a fan of peter kay that much either but i know a lot of people do like his stuff so you also may like it sameerrao

another good couple are the Royale family and the vicar of dibly

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
Old 04-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #10
coombsie66
Regular User

I always liked 'The Fast Show', like little britain, but i dont think that would really be that funny unless you've lived in england, as you wont believe quite how close to the truth it is!
As for peter Kay, i think he's funny in stand up and in 'Max and Paddy's road to nowhere' but never liked pheonix nights.
Watched some Jack Dee stand up the other night on TV, that was fuckin funny too.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #11
crayzayjay
Regular User

Father Ted is also pretty good.

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #12
sameerrao
Regular User

Thanks for the overwhelming responses guys ...

I have seen Monty Python and Blackadder years back. Classics!

I think "Only Fools and Horses ", "Phoenix Nights" and "Little Britain" sounds very promising. And now the DVD hunt begins. Wish me luck

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
430csjj
Regular User

I like Peter Kay. He does some good stuff.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #14
jon_s
Regular User

I think Absolutely fabulous makes some very subtle and not so subtle comments on English society; as a result, it can be hard to access. Benny Hill is quite possibly the most random person I have ever seen!

Peter Kay as 430csjj has mentioned is funny as hell, however he plays on very specific things from Northern English culture, so some of the issues may be lost.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
gis
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
And there was another show, I don't remember the name, but it was about a family running a funural home. If someone know the name, then I'd apriciate it too.
six feet under?