Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-29-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
High3nd
Regular User

Default How to convert AVI to wmv

Hey guys,

I got about 45min of video of my buddies gettin sideways and racing on the freeways late at night. Its in avi format but i wanna convert it to wmv, i'm sure you'll appreciate it when you see it also. A 360 Moden Euro Edition and a Brabus SL600.

Also, i'm new to editting and stuff and i was wondering what program would be the best to do this? I just bought firewire, is there anything else i am gonna need????
Old 01-29-2004, 06:51 AM   #2
Fleischmann
Regular User

Why convert it wmv ?? DivX compression is much better-takes up more space and is worse quality ??
Old 01-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
fishfreek
Regular User

Originally Posted by Fleischmann
Why convert it wmv ?? DivX compression is much better-takes up more space and is worse quality ??
What?

I have found WMV format to be fairly equivlent to divx as far as compression size (1hr videos of about 110MB-115MB @ 340bps) And quality is more based on the acutal bps you encode as much as its the codec.

If your running a windows xp system you can get Windows Movie Maker and it will encode wmv format. If your camcorder is digital then you will need a way to download it to your computer and then a way to convert it (windows movie maker). You really dont need much once you get the system on your system.

Free Photo Hosting
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
ceesf1
Regular User

try tempenc or mainconcept this could all be founf on internet but they are shareware
ceesf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:14 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

WMV is not universal enough. Kind of a one way street - you can easily get to WMV - but there is no easy way back to some editable format.

Thats why I keep all my original captures in AVI, and encode to mpg/avi for distribution.

Screw WMV.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
fishfreek
Regular User

Well...

Guess you wont be liking any of my vidoes cause 90% of them are in WMV format.

Free Photo Hosting
Old 01-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by fishfreek
Well...

Guess you wont be liking any of my vidoes cause 90% of them are in WMV format.
Well - the content is fine, but it makes pulling a small sample out of a WMV very difficult and time consuming - (which could very well be a good thing if you dont want people re-using your cntetn.. )

At least with a bunch of AVI's and MPGs on the hard drivem you have a fighting chance to encode them to VOB's and burn em to DVD - but without WMV import filters, you are SOL if you have a bunch WMV's.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

duplicate
Old 01-29-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

ya movie maker is the easy way of converting, and just because adobe doesn't open wmv don't cry RC45 there are alot of free video converters out there on www.downloads.com
Old 01-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #10
fishfreek
Regular User

I use moviemaker cause its easy to edit out comercials. Call me retarded with the pro adobe products but since I have this huge adversion for stealing programs on the internet I cant afford premier or any real video editing software.

Free Photo Hosting
Old 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

i don't download any adobe products, all from school
Old 01-29-2004, 11:57 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by toronto
ya movie maker is the easy way of converting, and just because adobe doesn't open wmv don't cry RC45 there are alot of free video converters out there on www.downloads.com
no ones crying except you - it was a simple statement - confirming there is no need to convert from AVI to WMV - just compress the existing AVI.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
Toronto
Regular User

:cry: well if you want to burn a dvd nero converts all the files, and wmv can be played on most computers it is just as universal as avi and mpeg, the only video anyone should hate is real player files.
and there are over 100 video converters so i don't know how it is a 1 way street.
so if you think i am crying ok, but avi compressions have alot of problems,
on the side y should someone go search for dvix, xvid, and audio codecs when wmv has the same size and quality if used right. and no fuckin spyware hiding all over www.divx.com / rant over
Old 01-30-2004, 03:56 AM   #14
Ralliart
Regular User

I downloaded a one hour film recently but couldnt play it because of similar problems so I had to download (and purchase) a program called "Cucusoft Video Converter" which worked great. I think it was $30 CDN.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #15
Toronto
Regular User

Default Re: How to convert AVI to wmv

Originally Posted by High3nd
Hey guys,

I got about 45min of video of my buddies gettin sideways and racing on the freeways late at night. Its in avi format but i wanna convert it to wmv, i'm sure you'll appreciate it when you see it also. A 360 Moden Euro Edition and a Brabus SL600.

Also, i'm new to editting and stuff and i was wondering what program would be the best to do this? I just bought firewire, is there anything else i am gonna need????
were did your buddie get a brabus sl600 in cali?