Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Mazda MX-5 Hardtop Convertible

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60619013/1024

New Brother to the Soft-top MX-5

Old 06-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
nickthaskater

*sigh* When the fuck are they just going to make a proper coupe? They had a concept coupe of the last gen Miata and it looked spectacular. Not only that, but a coupe would cut down a hell of a lot on the 'girly' factor that so many people associate with the MX-5, and it would more than likely be the best performing MX-5 ever.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

As much as I agree to you, this convertible does looks pretty good tho. There are hardcores MX-5 roaster fans out there that tracks their car alot, but there are also the girls that drive them to malls for a facial. I guess Mazda believes the second group accounted for more biz.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
nickthaskater

I'm not saying get rid of the roadsters, just add a proper coupe to the lineup as well. I know when I posted the photos of the coupe shown at SEMA (I believe) a few years back, on a few message boards, even the Miata haters came out and thought it looked great. A nice light, affordable, great handling, RWD coupe, do you know how many people want that? A lot from what I can tell haha.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Same can be said for S2000
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
nickthaskater

The MX5 is quite a lot cheaper than the S2000 though. In the US, the MX5 starts at $21,000, while the S2000 starts at $34,000.

And the Miata coupe I was referring to before...

Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
Shinigami
Regular User

I think the Coupé was on sale in very limited quantities in Japan... or that were the rumors on miata.net...

So finally the first pics of the vario roof version, nice *thumbs up*

This should cause some commosion on miata forums

/me goes on to reading the article wondering if they'll mention the weight of the new version.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
nickthaskater

Yea I believe the coupe was available in Japan for a short while, but I don't live there so...

I want a coupe in Canada damnit! :puppydogeyes:
Old 06-21-2006, 01:36 AM   #9
sads
Regular User

looks pretty good with hard top but the MX5 will always be a convertable its just the way they intend to market them. The retractable roof looks great and will certainly help with that
Old 06-21-2006, 07:56 AM   #10
Shinigami
Regular User

Soft tops are of course a lot lighter, and there are still countries where you can park a softtop and not end up having the top slashed with a knife...

Unfortunately, lots of bastards exist that do it in order to steal, or worse. Shame really... Over here I've only seen one car with a slashed top. It was an S2000. Maybe an accident, who knows... Still a bit shame.

Vario roofs do however have a lot of advantages.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Global Warming
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Same can be said for S2000
ABSLOLUTLY! An S2k coupe would be so nice! It would be the one I would get. I'm generally speaking not a convertable fan. I know people have been talking about an s2k coupe for years and I have seen many photochops of what they might look like. I Hope honda will do it sometime. But since they got rid of the Prelude they dont have anything in that market and of course the Prelude was stupid anyway because it was FWD.

A coupe s2k or a new RWD Prelude with the s2k engine would be absolutly TITS!! And I would choose it over an RX8 or Z (or a lot of other cars) anyday!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
I'm not saying get rid of the roadsters, just add a proper coupe to the lineup as well. I know when I posted the photos of the coupe shown at SEMA (I believe) a few years back, on a few message boards, even the Miata haters came out and thought it looked great. A nice light, affordable, great handling, RWD coupe, do you know how many people want that? A lot from what I can tell haha.

I hear ya brotha.. I'm still crossing my fingers that Toyota will remake the AE86..

I wonder just how much this trick roof top will add to the "cheap" miata..
Old 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
cooperluke
Regular User

What is the weight added by this solution??

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
dannyroz
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex

I hear ya brotha.. I'm still crossing my fingers that Toyota will remake the AE86..

They did remake the AE86...they called it the IS300
Old 06-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by dannyroz
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex

They did remake the AE86...they called it the IS300
How does a four-door semi-lux high-priced car like the IS have anything to do with the Corollas of old? The Supra is closer to it than the 300 is.