Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #136
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by Wutputt
I've a little question: does anyone know how many 959 Sport (sometimes also called the 959 S) were built? I've heard something around 30. But I want to know the exact amount
...in ´87 113 959´s where built and in ´88 again 179 and all in all PAG built 29 959 "S" - today one can buy a "as good as new" one with only some hundreds of km´s on the clock for ~350k €
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #137
HoboPie
Regular User

Originally Posted by J-San
Originally Posted by HoboPie
I'd just like to make a comment on the Gan/CGT issue.

When Best Motoring is actually racing the cars they are fairly flamboyant it often seems the Japanese cars are a little too quick.(Stock r34 was keeping with with a 996 turbo and pulling away from a 360?).

However in either the Japanese or International version of that video the whole point of the video was European cars and they stated quite simply that the Japanese cars still had a ways to go before matching the mid level super sports cars(GT3, CS, CSL, Gallardo).

Gan-san is a very accomplished driver(was offered an F1 test). I can't be sure of his overall skill at his current age, but you don't get to the level he did without knowing how to handle a car sufficiently well to give it a review. He still seems to be the best driver of the current BM team and they all are quite accomplished themselves. His only real rival was Tsuchiya who is definitely a skilled driver(Mclaren F1 and NSX at Lemans).

Anyway I'm not sure if it was a crappy test car(his hadn't arrived at the time of the video) or what, but I don't think his comments came from patriotism or lack of skill. Considering he bought the car I doubt very much he would make stuff up.

Hopefully we will see some CGT in BM in the near future because his should have arrived in late 2004.
I fully agree with you, with two minor comments: that R34 Skyline that was keeping up with the Porsche because it had semi-slick tires. Other is that Nakaya is at least as skillfull as both Gan-San and Tsuchiya, and we can't forget Gan-San's son, Takuya Kurosawa (former F3000 champion and still holds the record of the Fuji circuit) and Naoki Hattori (Formula Nippon Champion), both of them very accomplished and skilled drivers.
Naoki and Takuya are certainly very skillful, but in most of the tests that I've seen(many more of the older ones where it was always an nsx/r34/rx7 of some kind) they weren't the featured drivers, but I guess that has something to do with the cars they were put in. Nakaya I somehow completely forgot about, he is awesome.

I didn't realize the r34 was on slicks, but why would they do that? I understand it makes sense to provide a cool race, but the feature that came up next was the lightly modded r34 that while track setup wasn't much more competitive than the stock r34.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #138
J-San
Regular User

I guess my source was wrong about the 959 Sports, I've read Porsche produced only 6 cars.

Hobopie, the Skyline didn't have slick tires, but those "cup" tires, also known as "semi-slicks", just like those in the M3 CSL and the NSX-R. It's an optional equipment for the Skyline V-Spec II. They make a lot of difference, as you see that stock R34 with those tires wasn't much slower than the other R34 R-Tune with 450hp but normal tires.
J-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #139
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
Originally Posted by Wutputt
I've a little question: does anyone know how many 959 Sport (sometimes also called the 959 S) were built? I've heard something around 30. But I want to know the exact amount
...in ´87 113 959´s where built and in ´88 again 179 and all in all PAG built 29 959 "S" - today one can buy a "as good as new" one with only some hundreds of km´s on the clock for ~350k €
Thanks for the info, st-anger! I saw a 959 S last weekend, at least that's what the 'owner' claimed it was. But I really don't know the differences between the normal 959 and the 959 S just by looking at the car (I was too young in 1987 to really experience the full 959 hype ) I know the 959 S is a stripped down version, but is there a way to be sure it is a 959 S just by looking at the car?
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #140
dingo
Regular User

If you saw the interior you could probably tell, as the 'S' didn't feature air-con, central locking, electric windows or mirrors and had cloth-trim seats instead of the leather ones found in the normal 959 I also recall reading that the 'S' didn't have a passenger side mirror - so that would be an obvious way to tell This will have to be confirmed by one of the 'guru's' here as I am not 100% sure
Old 04-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #141
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
If you saw the interior you could probably tell, as the 'S' didn't feature air-con, central locking, electric windows or mirrors and had cloth-trim seats instead of the leather ones found in the normal 959 I also recall reading that the 'S' didn't have a passenger side mirror - so that would be an obvious way to tell This will have to be confirmed by one of the 'guru's' here as I am not 100% sure
right....
main thing to look is the missing passenger side mirror...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:25 PM   #142
Wutputt
Regular User

Ok, then I'm pretty sure it was an 'S'. It didn't have a passenger side mirror, it did have a roll cage and pretty basic interior. But I can't remember if it had airco, electric mirrors and stuff.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #143
TT
Regular User

A quick one, can't find an answer: What "model code" does the Cayman have in the Porsche lineup?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:13 AM   #144
nthfinity
Regular User

i seemed to have looked mostly throughout PC in search of a question i just recently began thinking about...
many Porsche models vary in characteristic...
C2, and C2 S
911 Turbo, and Turbo S

some have carried the RS badging beyond standard sport settings through the years

my question is this
the CGT is unoquivically the greatest porsche ever... but, might there be option of buying a sport model, not unlike the great 959??
Production continued until June 1988 when it was discontinued after 283 had been completed. 246 were Comfort versions and the remaining 37, Sport's.
might the fact that only 13% of buyers have influenced PAG to abandon marketing a sport model in the future.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:43 AM   #145
Cigarette1
Regular User

Default How many 993 Turbo S made

Hi,

I'd like to know how many 993 Turbo S were made exactly I've "googled" for half an hour but came up with nothing official

I always thought there were 150 world wide.

Someone else is highly convinced there are 64 world wide, 32 for USA, he also says every model has different exterior/interior colour.

Thanks
Cigarette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:01 AM   #146
dingo
Regular User

I am positive there was more than 64 made - and from what I can find the actual number is 199.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #147
gucom
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
A quick one, can't find an answer: What "model code" does the Cayman have in the Porsche lineup?
987 C7S
Old 05-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #148
gucom
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
i seemed to have looked mostly throughout PC in search of a question i just recently began thinking about...
many Porsche models vary in characteristic...
C2, and C2 S
911 Turbo, and Turbo S

some have carried the RS badging beyond standard sport settings through the years

my question is this
the CGT is unoquivically the greatest porsche ever... but, might there be option of buying a sport model, not unlike the great 959??
Production continued until June 1988 when it was discontinued after 283 had been completed. 246 were Comfort versions and the remaining 37, Sport's.
might the fact that only 13% of buyers have influenced PAG to abandon marketing a sport model in the future.
do u really want a car sportier than a CGT? (is that possible? )
the 959 was a technologica lshowpiece, it wasn't a super lightweight razorsharp sportscar. It had alot of luxury. The CGT is very lightweight, very little luxury(and the luxury parts that it does have are very lightweight). if you're gonna strip that of all luxury parts, ur gonna be left with bare carbon fibre seats and a racing steering wheel, nothing else.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:47 AM   #149
Cigarette1
Regular User

I am positive there was more than 64 made - and from what I can find the actual number is 199.
and where did you find that info ? i need to have proof i can show him, like a scan from a magazine that knows what they're talking about Flat6, GT purely,...

BTW, couple of months ago there was a magazine that featured a yellow 993 turbo s, i believe i saw scans of the article on jw, but can't seem to find them anymore
Cigarette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM   #150
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Cigarette1
and where did you find that info ? i need to have proof i can show him, like a scan from a magazine that knows what they're talking about Flat6, GT purely,...
http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showcar....r_model_id=164

Originally Posted by Cigarette1

BTW, couple of months ago there was a magazine that featured a yellow 993 turbo s, i believe i saw scans of the article on jw, but can't seem to find them anymore
here you go, originally posted by st-anger