Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII
subzero 14 25.93%
cool 27 50.00%
uncool 7 12.96%
seriously uncool 6 11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 PM   #16
wasaabi92
Regular User

Good car ... might be a great car ... but with all those stupid wings, skirts, graphite BBS wheels and the (functional yet ridiculous) Sonic the Hedgehog "Vortex Generator" the Evo VIII is nothing but seriously uncool.

I mean ... just look at who drives 'em. They're not hardcore enthusiasts, they're just boy racers. :roll:
wasaabi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
dingo
Regular User

ok then, so what kind of car does the "hardcore enthusiast" drive which is within the same price range?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
ok then, so what kind of car does the "hardcore enthusiast" drive which is within the same price range?
Playstation by the look of things

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #19
Mattk
Regular User

i'm sure this is a cool car to drive, however, I can't give it cool as hard as I try, simply because it looks ugly.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #20
dons5
Regular User

i cant vote, its uncool cause it has those huge spoilers and the styling is just brutal, as in brutally ugly, huge wings huge hoodscoops mounted on what otherwise looks like a box and the car is pretty damn gay. I mean ingnore the front headlights and scoops and ignore the massive rear wing and tell me what u see its a box, there are absolutely no lines to the car, the actual design itself is as boring looking as my a chevy malibu or a toyota carolla or something like that, if it wasnt for the wings and scoops.

But then on the other hand its cool, because the engineering and performance of the car is very good, it comes from a real rally race car (or is it the the other way around??), so it has the right history and roots for a car to be cool and interesting. The wings and scoops arent for looks but performance so all the stuff u see is fully functional and that is very cool, i hate when ppl add wings for the looks or scoops when their cooling is just fine and they're actually hurting their performance, or even worse fake scoops altogether.

So in the end its stuck in the middle and I cant decide.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 AM   #21
IMKAOS
Regular User

I voted 'cool'. Sure its cheaper than most if not all of the cars u guys talk about on this site but for what u get I think its pretty awesome. The only thing stopping me voting supercool is the fact it is a mass produced car of which there will end up being thousands of them around so it has no exclusivity... I don't mind the spoilers etc, its a japanese car what do u expect?? ( and anyone can remove a spoiler if they don't like the look of it )
IMKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #22
fsandys
Regular User

Are you kidding me? boy racers?

I think you need to revise your definition of boy racers, as they would not usually be able to afford an Evo. Also, they're usually into what's on the outside, not what a car can actually do!

On the looks note, we're all entitled to our own opinions, personally, I love it, in the right colours, with the right wheels, it's stunning.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #23
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by fsandys

I think you need to revise your definition of boy racers, as they would not usually be able to afford an Evo. Also, they're usually into what's on the outside, not what a car can actually do!
Exactly - "boy racers" usually prefer a 130hp Eclipse or Hyundai Coupe with a HUGE exhaust pipe and customized paintjob than a 300hp Lancer
Aha. Obviously you've never been to Southern California.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #24
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by fsandys

Exactly - "boy racers" usually prefer a 130hp Eclipse or Hyundai Coupe with a HUGE exhaust pipe and customized paintjob than a 300hp Lancer
Aha. Obviously you've never been to Southern California.
Rich Daddies
Old 01-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
EvolutioniuM
Regular User

Clarksons seems to be a big fan of the IX FQ360,,,

Like all modern technology, the Evo’s nomenclature is deliberately designed to confuse the elderly. Anyone who grew up with the Austin 7 is going to be driven screaming from the showroom by the sheer complexity of all those letters and numbers.

The car, too, is designed to terrify those whose bones are brittle and whose minds have lost the ability to deal with mini-roundabouts or clearly marked signs saying “Queue Here”.
check his column in the times this week
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...544019,00.html
EvolutioniuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #26
Mattk
Regular User

and anyone can remove a spoiler if they don't like the look of it
Yes, only this spoiler is there for a reason (unlike the ones seen on regular Lancers which pretend to be Evolutions), so you run the risk of ruining the car's handling.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
Z3uS
Regular User

Cool car! Fast, bring lots of fun and it's not that expensive.