Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default 400k Well Spent

SWEET HOME, Ore. — An Oregon woman who is out $400,000 after falling for a well-known Internet scam says she wasn't a sucker or an easy mark.
Janella Spears of Sweet Home says she simply became curious when she received an e-mail promising her $20.5 million if she would only help out a long-lost relative identified as J.B. Spears with a little money up front.
Spears told KATU-TV about the scammers' ability to identify her relative by name was persuasive.
"That's what got me to believe it," She said. "So, why wouldn't you send over $100?"

Spears, who is a nursing administrator and CPR teacher, said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car, and ran through her husband's retirement account.
"The retirement he was dreaming of — cruising and going around and seeing America — is pretty much gone for him right now," she said.
She estimates it will take two years to clear the debt that accumulated in the more than two years she spent sending money to con artists.

Her family and bank officials told her it was all a scam, she said, and begged her to stop, but she persisted because she became obsessed with getting paid.
The scheme is often called the "Nigerian scam" and it's familiar to many people with e-mail accounts. It still exists and it still works.
Spears first sent $100 through an untraceable wire service as directed by the scammers. Then, more multimillion dollar promises followed so long as she sent more money.
The scammers sent Spears official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and the United Nations. President Bush and FBI Director Robert Mueller were also involved, the e-mails said, and needed her help.
They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations, saying her payment was "guaranteed."
But it wasn't and now Spears is paying the price for her costly lesson.
"The hope is [other people] are not going to fall as hard as I fell," Spears said.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453125,00.html

I have never thought there are such dumb ppl out there, until today.

Sending a 100 is one thing...but 400k?...COME F**KING ON!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Nursing administrators must be raking it in these days.. $400,000 in 2 years - and they still had money to live off? hehe Sounds like a bit of a wind-up if you ask me.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Nursing administrators must be raking it in these days.. $400,000 in 2 years - and they still had money to live off? hehe Sounds like a bit of a wind-up if you ask me.
story goes she remortgaged the home, or at least a home equity line; and spent a large part of her husband's 401K... Maybe if she hadn't she would only be out 150k
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Yeah...
Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
10000rpmlover
Regular User

I get these scam emails every day, some are very creative but I just know that no one is going to just appear and offer me millions of dollars (unless they expect me to do some mission they cannot accomplish due to the law or something)

all in all, nobody is gonna jump up and give you so much money unless you put your ass on the line and whoever believes in those faery tales of easy cash deserves to be taken advantage of

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again

Last edited by 10000rpmlover; 11-19-2008 at 03:19 AM.
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

I feel sorry for her husband, getting all his money stolen by a greedy wife.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

now i know what happen to the bank.. people are actually that dumb, i guess you can blame the economy thing on Nigeria then.. they're gonna get it now.. mark my words

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

said she mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car
Yeah, Erez, must've been a subprime loan!