Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 02-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #916
dingo
Regular User

thanks alot for this st-anger, I will read this with great pleasure The GT2 comparison should also be very nice, can't wait
Old 02-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #917
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22
thanks alot for this st-anger, I will read this with great pleasure The GT2 comparison should also be very nice, can't wait
hehe *evilsmile* - of course the GT2 scan will be the last one - definitely a highlight
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #918
dingo
Regular User

LOL....how mean of you , well its bed time for me here in Australia so I can dream about the GT2 while I wait for the scan
Old 02-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #919
lakatu
Regular User

Thanks st-anger for the scan. GT Purely Porsche is such a great magazine. The nicest one published in English. I’m still lobbying for SA to be published in English but I’m not holding my breath .

I haven’t looked the info up but I am guessing that one of the ways Porsche increased the power was to install a larger turbo charger and that this is the reason they seem to notice the turbo lag.

I can’t believe that the standard 911 TT could beat the GT3 RS on the track by a full second no less. It wasn’t clear to me if they were referring to the standard TT or the TT S that was tested on the track against the GT3 RS but either way I still can’t believe that the TT would beat a RS. My guess is that whoever was driving the two cars at “Track and Race Cars” didn’t feel as comfortable pushing the RS as the TT on the track and therefore they were able to drive more aggressively in the TT :roll: .

BTW does anyone know what it means when BM says that the 996 TT has its gears crossed in 1st through 3rd? Why is this an advantage and do all 911’s have their gears crossed?

DO THE 912 NEXT. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ONE :roll: . Just kidding .
Old 02-06-2005, 12:43 PM   #920
ikon2003
Regular User

Great scan. Always grateful to get these. that S is an incredible car.

^i have no idea what crossed gears mean, tho i'd like to kno too.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #921
st-anger
Regular User

:arrow: InExcess

In the 1980s if you wanted to show you were successful you bought a 911 Turbo. If you wanted to show you were significantly richer than the successful you bought a flatnose 930 Turbo SE.

Porsche 911
Old 02-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #922
lakatu
Regular User

You must have scanned this with me in mind st-anger. Loved it . Although it would have been nice to have had a driving impression. It sounded like they had the car only for the photo op. Can’t blame the owner though since only 237 were made it must be rather rare and valuable. Thanks again. It is nice to get in touch with Porsche’s roots every now and then .
Old 02-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #923
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I just looked through this thread and once more I developed a soft spot for Porsches ops: Something about the 996TT and GT2 that got me to look twice.....keep these scans coming guys its great stuff
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #924
st-anger
Regular User

^^^ nice to hear that from one of the Ferrari gurus

...don´t worry, this issue of "GT" ( well, as always ) is FULL of nice stuff - "only" 237 made lakatu- in comparison kinda much - from the next car only 4 prototypes were produced as well as 20 "production" cars so definitely one of the rarest Porsches ever, the 911R, and "GT" drove #3 of the prototypes, a very special one - but better read for yaselves...tomorrow
Porsche 911
Old 02-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #925
lakatu
Regular User

Your right there are certainly cars made that were much rarer than the 930 SE. Take for instance the 962 C were I believe that only 4 were made. But if you consider that the car was manufactured over a period of 6 years and that approximately 1,500 911 2.7 RS’s were made and some may consider that to be a rare car, well I think you get my point . BTW I certainly am not putting the 930 SE in the class of the 911 2.7 RS. Also, when you consider the percentage of 930 SE’s produced as compared to the total number of 930’s I would guess that it is relatively low but I suppose your right I misused the world "rare" here. But hey, I'm allowed. You know how overly enthusiastic I get when we start talking about old 930's and 3.2L 911's .

So tomorrow the 911R? Sweet one of my favorite racing cars based on looks alone. If I remember right there was a rally driver that use to enter snowy turns rear end first and then apply power to turn the car, launching the car out of the turn. Love to see some footage of that. Quite an art if you ask me .

BTW saw this Gt3 photo and liked the color and angle of the shot. It isn't high enough of a resolution to go in the picture archive so I thought I would post it here.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #926
robruf
Regular User

Great read about the 996 Turbo 'S', seems like a great car, however, I like the 993 Turbo a bit better and the new 997 Turbo should be fantastic as always, right st-anger.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #927
1zippo1
Regular User

Thx for the 2 new articles st-anger.

The 996 Turbo S reminds me a bit too much of the fact that Porsche makes a lot of different model from the same car (996). It started to annoy me a bit, and I was clearly not the only one. No comment about the car itself though, I loved it since the beginning and I still have a huge respect for it's abilities.

That 930 Tusbo SE isn't too bad looking IMO. Certainly something different...
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #928
st-anger
Regular User

Rare in the Extreme

Looking back at the 911R, an ultra-rare road going racer whose production run ended at just 20 cars.

Porsche 911
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #929
dropot2
Regular User

Very interesting article st-anger! Thanks
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #930
st-anger
Regular User

Eight Mile High

Stuart Gallagher pops over to Nardo to see if 9ff can beat the McLaren F1’s top speed record. Buckle up!

Porsche 911