Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:11 AM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Sidewind.
Crosswind.

Originally Posted by Trigun432
wow. :shock: That pilot should be getting praised for being able to do something like that. I would have thought he would have crashed but he sticks those landings pretty well.

What was he doing to make it turn like that? If anyone knows how please fill me in I'd like to know.
Well, when people always ask why commercial pilots (who they think are just glorified bus-drivers) make big money, this is one of the reasons why.

And he didn't crash because he undoubtedly has 1000s of flight hours of experience.

Well, he was flying with a large wind correction angle, basically aiming the plane into the wind a certain amount to get it to move straight to the runway over the ground. Once he got right above touch down, he kicked the rudder to straighten the plane out. It takes a lot of concentration to make a good cross-wind landing in a small plane, much less to do that in a large airliner!

Awesome video btw! 8)
Man thats crazy, my experiance with 777s is only in MSFS2004 but damn I never knew I could turn em so fast with the rudder :shock: I mean it looks very responsive. When I user the rudder at cruising speed its no where near as responive...never had to yank it hard when landing but damn...
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #17
loliea
Regular User

In addition to the rudder you can also use the engines to pivot the plane (one at 0% the other at ...% ). Tricky!

loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #18
gigdy
Regular User

The B-52 has landing gear that will rotate to help with landing in a crosswind, so the plane will face one way and the plane another. I caouldnt find any pics but its pretty cool looking.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 AM   #19
stracing
Regular User

they also get big money because large aircraft licenses don't come cheap either. many years ago i did work experience for high school at qantas. they said licenses were 100k aud. so imagine how much it would be now
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote