Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #1
Sachmo12345
Regular User

Default NOS

is car NOS the same as the nos you would get a dentist persay
Sachmo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
davmac
Regular User

i think the put something in the NOS for cars so that people don't use it as a drug
davmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

NO there are 3 different types, engine use, medical use and lasers. they are all a little different.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Sachmo12345
Regular User

thats what i figured :cry:

Xbox Live Gamertag: sachmo12345
Old 03-22-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Junk2006
Regular User

What I can use NOS as drugs
:x Why didn't anybody tell me
Old 03-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
Sachmo12345
Regular User

r u trying to say "how can i use NOS as a drug"

they call it laughing gas and it gets you happy and it has no negative affects on your body thats why they give it to you at the doctors office in america at least

Old 03-22-2004, 05:22 PM   #7
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sachmo12345
r u trying to say "how can i use NOS as a drug"

they call it laughing gas and it gets you happy and it has no negative affects on your body thats why they give it to you at the doctors office in america at least
In europe its injections in the jaws

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
ben
Regular User

Yah nos supply the engine with extra oxygen to create more power from combustion. you can see it in an episode of top gear where they put nos in an old jag and it beats a 360,nsx,911 turbo,corovette and wins.
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #9
Sachmo12345
Regular User

somebody should host that

Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #10
Tomerville
Regular User

NOS is actually a brand name by Holley Performance. Nitrous Oxide kinda got the nickname NOS from "The Fast and the Furious".

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #11
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
NOS is actually a brand name by Holley Performance. Nitrous Oxide kinda got the nickname NOS from "The Fast and the Furious".
I'm pretty sure the people ont he board know that already.
I remember tyring to mix it in chemistry but the teacher wouldn't let me.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
Tomerville
Regular User

I'm pretty sure the people ont he board know that already.
I remember tyring to mix it in chemistry but the teacher wouldn't let me.
I guess so...you'd be suprised, people just go saying NOS all day long having no idea its a name brand and not the actual chemical compound.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
Junk2006
Regular User

So is it possible for me to make some of my own home made NOS and if so can I add alcohol to the formula
Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 PM   #14
davmac
Regular User

heres what my chem text book says about nitrous oxide

Nitrous Oxide: Laughing Gas that Propels Whipped Cream and Cars

Nitrous Oxide (N2O), more properly called di-nitrogen monoxide, is a compound with very interesting uses. It was discovered in 1772 by Joseph Priestly (who is also given credit for discovering oxygen gas), and its intoxicating effects were noted almost immediately. In 1978 the 20 year-old Humphry Davy became director of the Pneumatic Institute, which was set up to investigate the medical effects of various gases. Davy tested the effects of N2O on himself, reporting that after inhaling 16 quarts of gas in 7 minutes, he became “absolutely intoxicated.”

Over the next century “laughing gas” as nitrous oxide became known, was developed as an anesthetic, particularly for dental procedures. Nitrous oxide is still used as an anesthetic, although it has largely been replaced by more modern drugs.

One major use of nitrous oxide today is as the propellant in cans of “instant” whipped cream. The high solubility of N2O in the whipped cream mixture makes it an excellent candidate for pressurizing the cans of whipping cream.

Another current use for nitrous oxide is to produce “instant horsepower” for hotrods and street racers. Because the reaction of N2O with O2 to form NO actually absorbs heat, this reaction has a cooling effect when placed in the fuel mixture in an automobile engine. The cooling effect lowers combustion temperature, thus allowing the fuel/air mixture to be significantly more dense (the density of a gas is inversely proportional to temperature). This effect can produce a burst in power in excess of 200 horsepower. Because engines are not designed to run steadily at such high power levels, the nitrous oxide is injected from a tank when extra power is desired.
davmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:42 PM   #15
Sachmo12345
Regular User

yes im well aware that NOS is Nitrous Oxide and i knew it as NOS long before the gay and the curious