Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-21-2006, 01:55 AM   #46
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto

night vision runs via a PC????????

Welcome to the new age

I believe that guy told me its a 5 year old system. So not so new afterall Maybe they run it on IPODs now.

Maybe your forgeting that we are talking about a radar equiped APC and not a headset type night vision But Im sure you knew that.

ranging distance, and a bunch of other functions built in. Why do you think it costs 10,000$ for an entry level set of night vision?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 AM   #47
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
what computers run guidance systems?

what computers determin Friend or Foe in zero light conditions, converted to both visual reference, as well as computational interopolation in the ground force tanks/APC's etc. ? Not a mac, i'll tell you that.

what about targeting systems? ground units dont use mac based targeting systems either.
of course it isn't a mac!!! wait were they built for that? maybe.... er... no.

but if you guys want to be picky. they ain't PC's either
Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 AM   #48
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by Sir_GT
What would the US military need garageband and iPhoto for?

My argument is that the military uses what's appropriate, you're argument is that they use the "best". But isn't the "best" equipment whatever is the most appropriate?

Think of it this way: the "best" land machine in world would be an F1 car, but that isn't appropriate for military use, but with regards to speed and manueverability, F1 cars simply use the best technology out there.

Do you think that the military would spend $3B on F1 cars "just because"? Of course not. They would never be able to justify that. They would spend $3B on tanks. They're nowhere near as fast as an F1 car, nor are they as agile, but they sure as hell get the job done.

Again, why would the military purchase a 3Ghz Quad-core, 16GB Ram, 2TB MacPro? Just because they can? What for? To render Ice Age 3: Acorns in Iraq?

Bollocks.

They'll purchase the hardware that is most appropriate to what they need. That, for the military, is the "best" hardware.
The land example is too broad of a scope. We got everything from tractors to jet powered dried salt lake world speed record machines.

Here we are talking about computers, personal computers whose task is to do the same thing. I mean after all PC and MAC are in direct competition, or in reality no competition because mac is oh how many per cent of the world computer netowork? I think you know that number. We are not talking about basic function calculators and NASA super computers.

So once we get back on track and start talking about compters and not the polar opposites of F1 machines and Tanks we get back to the question of why is the military using PC platforms instead of MAC platfroms if MACs are soooo much better (we all know they arent, but thats what the mac boys say) then PCs, more stable, faster and all that

Your attempt and trying to make it look like MACs and PCs do different things hence the military chooses the PCs for their purposes is weak. Because, essentialy MACs and PCs do the same thigns. PCs do about a 1000x more due to the simple fact of software availibility but forget all that...as the mac boys say apples do everything and then some over my not so orange PC.
There isn't that big a diff between F1 cars, tanks, and PC's and Mac's.

F1 cars and tanks both take you from A-B, one can carry a maximum of 2-3 people when designed to do so, and one traditionally needs 2 people (driving and the gunner), and can carry a few others.

PCs and Macs can also both do similar tasks, but when it comes to specifics, they are designed to do different things.

I've already gone into detail and explained my point of view. I don't need to sound like a broken record and repeat it just because you refuse to accept the fact that Macs are designed to be the best platform for graphical work.

Do you see Mac ads talking about numbers? No. They even gave it to the PC when the spoke about spreadsheets in the ads. They talk about how great they are when it comes to processing graphics, websites, videos, and the like.

AND, the fact of the matter is, they make the best hardware for those tasks. Period. They are the "best" at what they are designed for.

The end.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:12 AM   #49
SFDMALEX
Regular User

d00de dont loose your breath, you need to catch up, we're way passed comparing dildos to dicks and lattes to espressos.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #50
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
ground units DON'T do massive labor intensive graphical use at all. show me one!
the topic was about and ACP? what does an ACP have to do with the CIA and NORAD???? TELLL me stop posting all this NORAD and weather shit if it isn't answering my question?
what computers run guidance systems?

what computers determin Friend or Foe in zero light conditions, converted to both visual reference, as well as computational interopolation in the ground force tanks/APC's etc. ? Not a mac, i'll tell you that.

what about targeting systems? ground units dont use mac based targeting systems either.

ownage? i believe to be owned a person my have their point or statement proven wrong?
well, not that i'm trying to own anybody...

BTW

also i know the artist that colours the hubble telescope images uses a mac.
I am on a first name basis with many guys at NOAO/NRAO/NWS, and have done some stuff with the guys at the NOI (oceanographic)
nth, don't the "mobile" units need to process their data via some sort of wireless signal before reaching the processing unit at "home?"

Mac doesn't have ANY "mobile" software/OS whatsoever IIRC. So why would the government use something that doesn't coordinate as well with their mobile units?

Again, we were talking about the military, not Nasa. Nasa technicians can probably put together hardware that goes well and beyond what consumers can afford, not something that Macs really do, is it?

Mac's OS has to run off specific hardware. I think we're all aware of that. If the Nasa techs needed hardware for "number crunching" that wasn't compatible with Mac's OS, why would they use it?

Again, it just boils down to the same argument: the government, or any government arm, will purchase whatever is the most appropriate to their needs. There are just way too many factors to consider, most of which we will never be privy to, such as contracts, deals, support offers, and the like.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #51
nthfinity
Regular User

Do you see Mac ads talking about numbers? No. They even gave it to the PC when the spoke about spreadsheets in the ads. They talk about how great they are when it comes to processing graphics, websites, videos, and the like.

AND, the fact of the matter is, they make the best hardware for those tasks. Period. They are the "best" at what they are designed for.

The end.
has anybody said how macs' require that you have your recorded video/music to be recorded on an external hard drive? PC's dont give a shit.... oh, and RAID RAID RAID

but if you guys want to be picky. they ain't PC's either
x86 architechture, running at vast temperature extremes, high humidity; low humidity, whatever.

so it may not be windows; but it shares commonalities with a IBM, Sun, Unisys, and other high end PCs.

yes, not everything is x86, some is newer these days.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #52
Sir_GT
Regular User

d00de dont loose your breath, you need to catch up, we're way passed comparing dildos to dicks and lattes to espressos.
Goodmorning to you too. I'm 12 hours ahead of EST, and it's a holiday. I think I'll take my time.

Besides, I'm more interested in building a quad-core PC at the moment, then deciding what OS to run afterwards.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #53
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\

Another one out of the closet.

Macs dont have ANY "mobile" software : :shock: but why :shock: I thought macs do everything a PC can better and then some
Old 08-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #54
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Anyway good night.

Oh and FUCK MIRCO$HAFT.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #55
Sir_GT
Regular User

/\/\/\

Macs dont have ANY "mobile" software : :shock: but why :shock: I thought macs do everything a PC can better and then some
Eh? I never said that. Don't count me as a Mac fanboy. I always knew that Mac's couldn't do everything. However, they can do most of what I need for my work. I've only started looking into their hardware recently because they seem to have a lot of things that are "appropriate" to what I need.

HOWEVER.

I would rather build a PC, then run Mac's OS on it, rather than pay the premium for the design. I'm more interested in the functions.

So far, all this thread has proven is that PC's are easier to build toward a specific purpose, but what I don't see being mentioned is what is lost in the process. From a consumer standpoint, I still need something that can do the best at the work I do, and still give me casual/daily use-flexibility.

Hence, I admittedly am very fascinated with Mac's OS. But, as I said, I would rather buy and build the hardware myself.

Besides, pooftas exist on both sides of the spectrum. Look at the alienware pooftas, and sony pooftas.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #56
TNT
Regular User

wow, that was the biggest load of BS i have read in a while.

The only point the anti-mac people are proving is that the uses the government asks for in a computer, isn't filled by Apple. nor has Apple tried to fill in that gap or wants to. They are a stable GRAPHIC based OS. Apples are known for having better graphics/graphic processing.

sure each OS has its strong point be that Linux, OSX, Windows, etc. But SFDMALE you aren't proving a point? You asked a question and you get an answer and then proceed to going on for three pages about nothing...... :roll:

again what are you trying to prove?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:29 AM   #57
saadie
Regular User

hes trying to prove that we are right and so is he ...
Old 08-21-2006, 12:20 PM   #58
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\

Eh? I never said that. Don't count me as a Mac fanboy. I always knew that Mac's couldn't do everything. However, they can do most of what I need for my work. I've only started looking into their hardware recently because they seem to have a lot of things that are "appropriate" to what I need.

HOWEVER.

I would rather build a PC, then run Mac's OS on it, rather than pay the premium for the design. I'm more interested in the functions.

So far, all this thread has proven is that PC's are easier to build toward a specific purpose, but what I don't see being mentioned is what is lost in the process. From a consumer standpoint, I still need something that can do the best at the work I do, and still give me casual/daily use-flexibility.

Hence, I admittedly am very fascinated with Mac's OS. But, as I said, I would rather buy and build the hardware myself.

Besides, pooftas exist on both sides of the spectrum. Look at the alienware pooftas, and sony pooftas.
Ok ok your not as bad as I thought I respect your opinion.

However if you are going with an alternate OS route on a PC why MAC OS? Just curious since you have 100s of OSs to choose from.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #59
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
wow, that was the biggest load of BS i have read in a while.

The only point the anti-mac people are proving is that the uses the government asks for in a computer, isn't filled by Apple. nor has Apple tried to fill in that gap or wants to. They are a stable GRAPHIC based OS. Apples are known for having better graphics/graphic processing.

sure each OS has its strong point be that Linux, OSX, Windows, etc. But SFDMALE you aren't proving a point? You asked a question and you get an answer and then proceed to going on for three pages about nothing...... :roll:

again what are you trying to prove?
lol.......what?

So Mr. I own a mac and it's great from Graphics proccessing. What is exactly that graphics proccessing that you do on your mac?

Lets see some of your models and renders

It's funny because lately I made a lot of friends in the game industry and I am yet to hear anyone say anything about doing their work on a mac. You know graphicaly intense modeling and such.

So show me how you use the strong points of your mac.

There I just proved my point.

And now that you all came out of the closet and admitted that the only proffesional use for a MAC would be a narrow field in graphic applications I guess we can all close the case and let the jury go.

So MACs are shit anyway and 80% of MAC users dont even use a mac because of its "strong points" Old news made public

But please retaliate, I find this thread ammusing.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #60
Sir_GT
Regular User

/\/\/\

HOWEVER.

Ok ok your not as bad as I thought I respect your opinion.

However if you are going with an alternate OS route on a PC why MAC OS? Just curious since you have 100s of OSs to choose from.
So far, between "popular" ones such as Windows, Linux, and Tiger, It's OS X's that I found had the right "balance" of what I needed. Basically, it was a no-bs OS (legacy code?) that was still useable without having too much adjusting.

Linux is quicker, yes, but the lack of a plug-and-play system and the apps I need for it automatically takes it out of the equation. (I used Knoppix btw)

It basically boiled down to windows and os x, simply because of the software apps I need. One of which, as silly as it may sound, is safari. I need to test websites once the coding is done, and since I can use bootcamp on macs to boot winxp, I can still test the site on IE, so I don't really lose anything, but I can't do the same on a windows-based PC.

Again, as you can see, I'm interested because of the functions I need that mac's os has. The poofta designs can go to hell.

I'm sure there are similar "mount" programs similar to bootcamp on the other os's, but I can't really work on graphic programs that are simply "mounted" due to the loss in performance. I can live with mounting windows just to test IE, but I can't work with a mounted Adobe and Macromedia Suite.