Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
bmwmpower
Regular User

Default Car : Vanquish S vs. SL 65 AMG vs. 612 vs. Continental GT

credits to noosee
bmwmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
mv
Regular User

Truly great comparison. BTW nice collection of more or less regular scans we've got here - TT's Evo, Car .... I could take care of Automobile mag if you guys were interested, however, I get it quite late usually and I'm not sure my scanner is sufficient. :cry:
Old 03-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
kksh
Regular User

awesome comparaison! Love the ferrari but hate the looks. Love the grunt of the SL65 AMG and hate the gearbox of the AM.

Goddamnit...
An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars.
Advertising has us chasing cars, megapixel cellphones and clothes.
Working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
We're the middle children of history, man...
No purpose or place.
We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars.
But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact.
And we're very, very pissed off
kksh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
coloradosilver
Regular User

Great Read! My vote would have to go to the Merc SL65 AMG. You get the acceleration of the ferrari with the luxury of the Merc. And for less than you'd pay for the Ferrari. I'm sure that the insurance on the Merc is less than the Ferrari also.

I just don't like it being limited to 155 mph, but that can be easily fixed.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
philios55
Regular User

Great scans bmwmpower, thanks!
Ferrari and Aston are really good but i would take the SL65 AMG anyday over the others in this comaprison!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
noosee
Regular User

Thanks man. U saved me a lot of time
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:54 AM   #7
Fleischmann
Regular User

Fantastic read. The Aston would also be my choice. The SL65 is just a plain heavy Merc IMO. Top gear took it round the track and it set a raher average time. Power is nothing if you don't have superior handling to accompany it. Justlike the Bentley. ANd the Ferraris styling isn't to my taste. It looks like a frog.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 AM   #8
MBW124

I'm so thankful that his wonderful website has these magazine scans.

Thanks for the post. Also, it saves me a lot of time from taking trips to magazine stores and such.
MBW124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 AM   #9
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Thanks, that was a nice read, damn, now I'm dreaming about that SL again, what a brutal monster and still so refined.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Great article and scan. We couldalmost run a separate poll for our choice here on JW, but personally the choice would be the Vanquish, closely followed by the SL65, just for everyday potential.

The over priced [ugly] Ferrari can fight it out with the "uber VW" for losing honours..
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

That is one crazy comparison :shock:

I've been waiting for this scan for a long time now!!! Thanx a million bmwmpower!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by Fleischmann
Fantastic read. The Aston would also be my choice. The SL65 is just a plain heavy Merc IMO. Top gear took it round the track and it set a raher average time. Power is nothing if you don't have superior handling to accompany it. Justlike the Bentley. ANd the Ferraris styling isn't to my taste. It looks like a frog.
I know that the SL65 is heavy but in this case you have it confused with the CL (the car Top Gear tested). Oh and btw the other cars in this test aren't exactly lightweights..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #13
robruf
Regular User

Great article and thanks for the scan, but who to pick, each one excels in a different area that each individual will like and dislike separately. Merc has the seats, and the engine, Bentley has the quality parts, Aston Martin has the brakes and the look, and the Ferrari has the engine and the transmission and the interior. But without having driven any of the four, I would have to say that the Ferrari 612 would be my choice after seeing what Clarkson did with it during the test, plus it is going to be rare and not that noticeable unless you know about cars
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote