Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #46
FordGTGuy

as long as the Ford GTs on the list i'm good. I think the Ford GT is the best bang for the buck with the heritage, performance, and just for fun. But the best thing about it is the space for upgrading performance with the engine space and strong structure.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:44 AM   #47
Schwalbe

I have only one thing to say about the new Z06...The car is so hot ! 8)

Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 AM   #48
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
But I think most people will be quite hesitent to sell at that low of a price even if it is only woth that when they pay close to 25 - 30K more than that when they bought it new.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but go look at the price of a 2 year old z06 or camaro..
15k-20k depreciation is normal. They already are doing the same thing you mentioned.. especially the early adopters who picked it up when dealers were gouging.
Thats not bad news!!! That would be great news. I just don't think it's realistic though.

The only reason that 2 year old Z06's (as well as the C5) have gone down so much in value for an 03' or 04' model is because the new C6 and new Z06 are out. Bringing in new models will always make the last model go way down in price.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #49
TeflonTron
Regular User

I'm sure a Caterham will still walk the 'Vette. 'nuff said.

TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #50
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TeflonTron

Bring it on.

Now.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #51
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

Bring it on.

Now.

Which Caterham first of all?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:02 PM   #52
TeflonTron
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

Bring it on.

Now.

Well, we should get the prices as "near" as possible, so that would leave us with the R500. Cost is roughly $55,000 or so, and it'll nail 60 in 3.4, 100 in 8.1 and would muder the 'Vette on a racetrack. We'll leave the next Caterham up (the R600 Superlight) back home!

Not the most practical car to live with (I wouldn't want one as my only car, that's for sure!) but any discussion about "ultimate bang for your buck" is not complete without it.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #53
sentra_dude

Bring it on.

Now.

Well, we should get the prices as "near" as possible, so that would leave us with the R500. Cost is roughly $55,000 or so, and it'll nail 60 in 3.4, 100 in 8.1 and would muder the 'Vette on a racetrack. We'll leave the next Caterham up (the R600 Superlight) back home!

Not the most practical car to live with (I wouldn't want one as my only car, that's for sure!) but any discussion about "ultimate bang for your buck" is not complete without it.
Caterham's are brilliant little cars, but how about a car you could drive everyday, through sun and rain...100 F degrees out and below freezing, drive on a less-than perfect road, and carry some bags with you? I would really like to see someone try driving the Caterham as their only car for an entire year.

Don't get me wrong, I love the little cars, and they are probably a lot more fun to drive than a Vette because of their extremely low weight, but that's pushing it to include it in the 'daily-driver' category.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #54
TeflonTron
Regular User

How about a TVR?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #55
graywolf624
Regular User

gone down so much in value f
Actually.. they already depreciated like a stone long before the c6 was though up.. all gms do.

As for tvr... prolly not in the same category with respect to handling as that vette.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:58 AM   #56
ikon2003
Regular User

^or by reputation, the TVR prolly falls short in reliability and service as well. (losing to a chevy in reliability and service? rare statement - hopefully tvr will improve w/ its new owership)
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #57
RC45
Regular User

Bring it on.

Now.

In that case - the C5R will chew the R500 up and spit it out in little pieces.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:28 AM   #58
TeflonTron
Regular User

Bring it on.

Now.

Well, if it takes a race car to match the Caterham then that says more about the Corvette than it does about the R500. The R500, whether you like it on not, will outgun any road-legal car in production (aside from a few limited edition cars, who are also English). On a racetrack, a standard, off the showroom Corvette does not stand a chance against the English Rose. That's not knocking the 'Vette, but simply saying that you have to take the Caterham into the arguement whenever you talk about bang for buck.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #59
RC45
Regular User

Bring it on.

Now.

Well, if it takes a race car to match the Caterham then that says more about the Corvette than it does about the R500. The R500, whether you like it on not, will outgun any road-legal car in production (aside from a few limited edition cars, who are also English). On a racetrack, a standard, off the showroom Corvette does not stand a chance against the English Rose. That's not knocking the 'Vette, but simply saying that you have to take the Caterham into the arguement whenever you talk about bang for buck.
It says nothing except that the R500 is a seat with an engine strapped on and is of no other use.. period.

So quit comparing single use non-daily cars to general purpose all round champs.

That's the truth.

Please provide another general purpose, daily use, practical 2 seater that can run and gun with the C5 Z06 or the C6 Z06.

A non-limited production, available in the showroom, all weather, with space for luggage and decent gas mileage 4s 0-60 , 12s 1/4 mile 180mph top speed, 60-0 in 100ft, 1G kid pad, 7:56 Nurburgring lapping car.

Just one.

Please do.

Let's hear it.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #60
SFDMALEX
Regular User

/\/\/\I can name quite a few, you forgot to mention the price
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote