Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Under Construction

Under Construction Post up your build threads here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
peruccy
Regular User

Default Alfa Romeo 166 V6TB

Hello chaps!

Let me introduce my latest project. It's an Alfa Romeo 166 V6 Turbo '99 with 111000km on the clock. I bought the car for silly money - 600€. It has been parked for nearly 5 years, because it had an engine failure. Previous owner said, "it only needs to have the head gaskets replaced". I obviously believed him, how silly of me. All the work on the car will be done by my dad and me. Anyways, here's how she looked when I got her...

First thing I did to her, is to replace the dull velour seats with leather ones I had at home. Also from an AR166

Next thing was to get the engine out, and have a look at the "damage"

Main bearing were all worn. So much for "just a head gasket replacement"...

And of course, the crankshaft was also gone

Luckily the block was OK. So we got a new crankshaft

And got to work. First thing we did, was to enlarge the ports on the heads as much as we could...

Intake port before

Exhaust port before

Intake port after

Exhaust port after

Then the engine was disassembled completely

And after 4hours the bottom end had brand new bearings, o-rings, gaskets, seals exc.

Since we didn't know what has been done to this engine, we decided to also do a major service on the engine. New belts, pulleys, spark plugs exc.

And a "few" other bits ready to go on the car, started to pile up. New radiator, A/C condenser, brake discs + pads front and back, brake cables, brake lines, clutch, gaskets, seals, suspension bushes, cv boots, exc. exc.

New valve guides and bearings for the alternator

3" stainless steel exhaust

To be continued...
'talla
peruccy is offline   Reply With Quote