Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Mattk
Regular User

Default Listen To Me - SPOILERS AHEAD

There are spoilers ahead, but this film is so cliched that it doesn't really matter.

A daggy 1989 film about collegiate debating in the US, it stars such luminaries as Kirk Cameron and Roy Scheider.

There are many different plots in this film, like pretty-boy debater Garson McKellar being pushed into inter-collegiate debating by his senator father, and then subsequently rebelling, and dying, as well as the usual love subplots, usually involving Monica, a female debater with a fear of intimacy (which is ridiculous). Then there's Cameron's Tucker Muldowney, who has a mullet, and spends his spare time "lifting cars", literally. Roy Scheider attempts to inject some sanity into the film by acting as a debating coach (as if university debaters need professors to coach them), and fails. The producers even inject pro-life overtones into this film. The climax is the final debate between Kenmont College, where these folks come from, and Harvard. Kenmont have to argue that Roe v. Wade was a mistake in front of a bunch of Supreme Court justices. I won't tell you who wins, because it is pretty obvious who will.

I saw this when it was screened at the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships whilst everyone was waiting on the tab. Everyone thought it was the funniest movie ever, because it was just ridiculously daggy and cliched. It also turned every tenet of debating upside down. A model at reply? Come on... When people make references to it during the next day's comedy debate, something has gone wrong.

Watch it to laugh. Some people might cry - at its stupidity. Comedy gold for all debaters worldwide.

Golden quotes include:
"It's not in the matter files, it's in you" - mullet-man.
"When I was 14, I was raped" - Monica
"Do you want a plan? I've give you a plan! Let's introduce a comprehensive education programme" - mullet-man at affirmative reply.