Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
Nemisis8u
Regular User

Default Computer Gurus Inside Please

I am thinking on getting a new burner, probably one that burns dvd. My corrent one is from the stone age 8x4x32, so in needs to be replaced. Any way, my question is what is a dual format writer?

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
blah
Regular User

I use a lite on 52x24x52x for my CD-RW, and if you want a god DVD-RW go with Philips.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Anile8er
Regular User

im a huge plextor fan had it ever since it came out there new one is an 8x write dvd right now im have there 16xA and it has a built in fan in the bak and can copy almost any games 1:1 copy

its called Plextor PX-708A DVD/CDRW writer thats the new one
********* w00t!*********

what what WHAT!! no no no FUCK U!!!!!

p.s. Whysukit when u can fuck it?
Anile8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
possessed_beaver
Regular User

cost u about $US100
for a dvd burner, they all burn normal cd's aswell, personaly i was going to get one, but i will wait until they are faster and cheaper, currentley i have a 52x24x52 burner, and thats more than fast enough.

i also don't see the use in a dvd recorder, because my processer may ot be able to cope with encoding -decoding mpeg2 movies while moving bulk data to the dvd burner..
my 2 cents
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
AlienDB7
Regular User

They're coming out with a dual-layer (i.e. 8-9G per disc) dvd+rw around april 2004. You may want to wait before getting a dvd burner. Not sure about pricing though. DVD burners are relatively cheap now, it's probably a good time to get one if you need the larger capacity. CD burners are even cheaper, you can get a 52x one for like $20.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
ericgt
Regular User

Default Re: Computer Gurus Inside Please

Originally Posted by Nemisis8u
my question is what is a dual format writer?
dvd +r/+rw and dvd -r/-rw
The + are more compatable with tv dvd players.
ericgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #7
FER355

its best to have seperate dvd and cd burners if you're impatient, as dvd burners are sloooooooow burning cd's compared to a good cd writer

oh and of the 2 main dvd formats -r/rw and +r/rw I dont knwo if its the same there but here -r/rw discs are a lot cheaper and easier to buy and can do all the things you need
Old 12-22-2003, 03:21 PM   #8
Nemisis8u
Regular User

I heard that LG makes pretty good burners. Has any one heard of them?

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #9
AlienDB7
Regular User

Yea, LG makes the 4040B, which is around CDN$140-150. Not exactly the best burner out there but it works. I've been using my 16x LG cd burner for a while, it's fairly reliable and quiet compared to other ones I've tried. Lite-on makes good burners in terms of performance, relatively cheap too if you don't mind the noise.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:27 PM   #10
gldnboy
Regular User

don't ever buy a "mad-dog" DVD burner. my friend got one at a Best Buy day after thanksgiving sale for like 50 bucks. the "mad-dog" brand name should've tipped him off to the quality of it, but he's an idiot, so it didn't, lol :roll:
Old 12-25-2003, 08:29 PM   #11
unionamc
Regular User

Here, check this site out. dvdrhelp.com/dvd It'll answer all your questions. Damn, I just posted a dvd+rw topic. Oh well. Check out my post in "hardware setup" for an awesome deal right now in office depot. Yeah and you'll be much better off with a dual writer. Its just different formats for different dvd's and depending on your dvd player, you will need to use a certain format. They're all pretty much the same otherwise.
unionamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #12
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I would go with a Plextor since they are the best in the business but they aint cheap either. Any Plextor will do, but after looking at the prices they are some of the most expensive.

I have my CD RW Plextor for about 3years now.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 10:17 PM   #13
GT-R_R34
Regular User

i have the sony one. it works great the only thing that sucks is the software that it comes with, but in my opinion wait for the next generation burners that have double layers capabilities
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 10:29 PM   #14
unionamc
Regular User

From what I've read, I heard the software sucks but the softward upgrade or firmware upgrade does wonders. Nero is what everyone recommends.

So the dvd burners don't allow double layered DVD burning? I thought they did. I thought all you needed to do was buy the double layered dvds :roll:
unionamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 02:03 AM   #15
Korny_kid71
Regular User

Originally Posted by gldnboy
don't ever buy a "mad-dog" DVD burner. my friend got one at a Best Buy day after thanksgiving sale for like 50 bucks. the "mad-dog" brand name should've tipped him off to the quality of it, but he's an idiot, so it didn't, lol :roll:
...mad dog?...sounds like a dumbass raper made that up "MaD DawGGG!!" sound totaly retarted lol, if i where u id slap ur friend lol, jks jks. Ne hu...the most reliable burners are LG and Sumsung, they r reliable n fast u can pick one up thas fast 4 bout 100 canadian...if u have ne computer q's or problems i suggest goin 2 this forum www.poasters.com these ppl r wizards wen it comes 2 computers

-merry x-mas