Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Driving a 600+ rwhp NSX turbo

So, last week I rode in a 458 Italia, which was great... this week, I was handed the keys to a Lovefab Turbo NSX with 620 or 630 RWHP.

This was is the only NSX I've ever heard that didn't sound meh... it skipped good, and went right to Farking Phenomenal! Of course, there are no cats, and the exhaust exit is only 11" long, and you can fist the exhaust But from the inside, it sounds a lot like a cross between a Porsche 962 and a Ferrari 333 SP between 3700 rpm and 9000 rpm. Wow!

How'd it drive? Well, I've never been a big fan of the NSX, but this one cured a few problems, mainly... power LOL. Additionally, it had a big heavy clutch (slightly heavier than an F40's), but easy to modulate, and a smaller diameter steering wheel which felt perfect. I'm a bit tall, so it is a little cramped for space vertically... but I wasn't bumping my head on the roof.

Hit the gas? Well, it's a tale of two cars... in 1st, its an exercise in reaction time. I made the mistake of failing to leave my hand on the shifter for the 1-2 shift, and I was bouncing off the limiter for about 1/3 of a second before I caught second... that was quick . 2nd... power comes on quickly as well, but is somewhat more manageable. The rears only spin between 6000 -8500ish rpm. The owner of the car dialed the tire width back from 315's to 285's as a precaution against breaking something in the driveline; so he's quite happy to replace the rubber... a lot.

3rd gear? Still a quick enough ratio that it builds up boost relatively quickly, and you are flying! 4th gear... a quick speed shift, blow off valve and... wait for it... wait for it... waiiiiiiiiiiiiit for it.... ah here it WHAAAAAAAAAAA! The car has a HUGE (72 mm I believe) turbo, and the original dyno tune was 920 rwhp, so it still takes a lot of time to reach the 630 rwhp boost levels.

A fellow in another car on the way back from the destination was filming me driving starting around 7:16 on this video... like I stole it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaGBaUmfsg#
Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

You're just tooling around in everything lately, aren't you?

For reference, how tall are you?

I'm not a huge fan of the NSX, though, some of those looked good with the wheels and whatnot. The one you got to drive did sound damn good. I also love the sound of a turbo spooling up.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Yeah, some of those NSX don't look hlf bad for a mid-engined Civic..

That one has a very throaty V12-like sound. Crank layout and timing make for one vedddy vedddy noice shounding Honda.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Minacious View Post
You're just tooling around in everything lately, aren't you?

For reference, how tall are you?

I'm not a huge fan of the NSX, though, some of those looked good with the wheels and whatnot. The one you got to drive did sound damn good. I also love the sound of a turbo spooling up.
Now that summer is officially over, it sure seems like it

There were 3 different turbo cars there, but this one is the biggest power NSX that was there, and the best sounding... by far!

I'm 6'2" with a tall torso. So somebody more evenly distributed would feel better. It wasn't that bad, but definitely not great; although the seats were comfy.
Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Yeah, some of those NSX don't look hlf bad for a mid-engined Civic..

That one has a very throaty V12-like sound. Crank layout and timing make for one vedddy vedddy noice shounding Honda.
It took me a while to put my finger on it... I just wasn't expecting a six to sound anything like that!