Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 PM   #1
dingo
Regular User

Default encryption info

I have an assignment for uni on ways of breaking encryption (AES), basically its a case study of a guy who has sensitive data on his computer and I have to write about ways an attacker could recover the data (plaintext version).
I am having trouble finding references (all the library books are out) so I was wondering if anyone knows of some good websites with this type of info? I have found enough info on the encryption algorithm itself but not wyas of getting around (or breaking) it.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
AlienDB7
Regular User

Look under the term "cryptanalysis"

The most "common" way of breaking encryption is brute force attack. Basically you try every single possible combination of keys until you find the correct one. That's basically what they do in the DES or RC5 challenges. In your case study, probably it'll be more appropriate to do find the password by trying every single word in the dictionary.

For certain algorithms, there're certain weaknesses in the design so that they can be broken in ways more efficient than brute force attack. I won't go into much detail here, you can always find info about them on the net.

Of course, the easiest way would be pointing a gun at the guy's head and force him to reveal the password

Have fun in the assignment!
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
dingo
Regular User

The brute-force attack isn't suitable for our case, since the attacker has limited resources and wouldn't have the time to pull off such an attack.
The option of using a gun is probably not what the lecturer is looking for, but if I run out of ideas i might use it.
I'll give 'cryptanalysis' a go in google and see what comes up, and yes I'll try to have fun doing it.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
enigmatic
Regular User

Default Re: encryption info

Originally Posted by dingo22
I have an assignment for uni on ways of breaking encryption (AES), basically its a case study of a guy who has sensitive data on his computer and I have to write about ways an attacker could recover the data (plaintext version).
get the guys password! that'll always be quicker than breaking the encryption.
unless hes using a pass'phrase' over 15chars long, with spaces :cry:.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:53 AM   #5
dingo
Regular User

I have got that already....by installing a key logger or using social engineering techniques. I need different types of attacks, that I haven't already thought of....but its due tomorrow so not much time left....still about 200 words short. :cry:
Old 09-01-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
enigmatic
Regular User

ah! nice work!
let me have a think about it