Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
jenkF1
Regular User

Default Alonso -Is he worthy???

Okay, some ppl may hate me now

But I keep hearing these names being mixed up in the world 'senna, schumi, prost, alonso' -Im sorry Alonso is not worthy of being mixed with such names. I still dont rate him as much as everyone else does.
Okay, hes certainly quick, hes cool under pressure (as we saw in his nice defence from Schumi earlier in the Year). Hes certainly got the arrogant attitude of a champ (as we see after every race with his gestures and hes over-competive attitute).

But to be honest the understeery mega traction Renault has to be the easiest car to drive this season, super reliable as well. Alonso outclassed Trulli last year , which unsurprisingly isnt that difficult in race trim. We've still never seen that lad on his back foot apart from that mo with Schumacher. Hes cruising to a title at the moment in my opinion.

Give me an example of when we've seen this guy using true overtaking aggression on track. If you remember in Silverstone when he got held up by Trulli he got frustrated and was all over the place. And he certainly fears Kimi.

Okay, he gave Fisi a shock and outclassed a true talent although I think Fisi's been handed dodgy racecars and his latin temperament gets in the way of his talent(confidence shatters when he has bad luck)

But I think giving Alonso the crown this year dont feel rite...give him a few years and who knows we may have a true legend of racing...but not yet.

Bring on the abuse!

"..its time for diesel lovers to go make the tea"
jenkF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
bmagni
Regular User

I agree with you, though we still have to see who wins the championship, its still 7 more races, and Kimi has a big chance, the only problem is the reliabilty in the engine.
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
choudio
Regular User

if it wasnt for a a joke of an merc engine (and a couple of other things), kimi would be something 15 or so points clear of alonso, even not including the nurburgring suspension. when r mclaren gonna learn that reliabilty is costing them championships?! alonso must be laughin, cruising around at his own pace, not being challenged (most of time has a very large gap to play with) and being handed the championship on a plate. no doubt hes a good driver, but its been a cruise for him this yr, by no means a true test of his driving ability and his balls. putting him up there with the likes of senna, schumi, prost etc - ur having a laugh surely???
choudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

One championship a legend does not make. Look at Villenuve.

Alonso has a long way to go before he can rightfully be placed amongst such names. I think he will be good for one, maybe two titles.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

I actually like Webber alot, but too bad Williams is on a down fall when he joins.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
jenkF1
Regular User

One championship a legend does not make, look at Hill!

Though respect to him for being son of a legend and a true gentlemen.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Toronto
Regular User

seems like my list

anyways, if you look at the stats, alson is better then most other drivers out there.
not to mention the youngest race winner (and dare I say champ.) you can't take that away from him.
and I never put him on a list of legends, it is a list of straight stats, if you finishing reading my post i clearly stated that,
"Senna, schumi, prost, alonso, and the list will go on, all won races in the time it will take button" please argue with that? please?

in 2003, alonso not only won a race, he finished in 6th (55points) he beat out DC, and trulli, and button (17points)

now your arguments about who had the better car?
well they both had the same amount of DNF @ 5 (DC @ 5 too)
and who had the better car? well the renault had less HP, and a low end torque setup so he couldn't reach the high speed of that of the BAR.

with less he did more

now to compair them on just STATS (who cares if they are cocky? Senna thought he was a god)

Alonso
Wins : 7
Points scored : 205
Number of GP : 63
Pole Position : 7
Podiums : 17
First GP : 2001 (Melbourne)

Button
Wins : 0
Points scored : 142
Number of GP : 94
Pole Position : 2
Podiums : 11
First GP : 2000 (Melbourne)

Alonso is better then Button . full stop
Old 07-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
choudio
Regular User

the only yr that button has had a a better car than alonso was last yr, got ne stats???
im not saying button is a better driver that alonso, but u seem to have a problem with him. no doubt about it, button is a very competent driver and would have won races this yr if he was sitting in the mclaren (so would alot of ppl tho) or the renault cos they r without doubt the best cars in the field and have been all season long.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

??? what no the 2003 BAR was far better then the Renault, I am not going looking threw my 2003 f1 mags to prove you wrong
Old 07-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
jenkF1
Regular User

lol, Yeah i used your list but i didnt mean u i mean media in general and Flavio thinking his gods gift.

You cant say that BAR is better than the Renault! Ok, top end maybe not but traction is well important.

One of Buttons main points is he makes very little mistakes. Okay, he slammed it into the wall in Canada, but didnt Alonso?
11 podiums in a BAR compared to 17 in a renault, not bad in my book but okay he should have won by now ill give u that.
And ill prob give it to u that Button is not on Alonso's level.

Alonso is a master once hes set in his ways -clear track ahead of him no pressure and warm tyres. We need to see him under pressure more to fully understand his character. We saw it once with Schumi but if there was a lot more laps i would have thought Schumacher would have taken it easily.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by jenkF1
lol, Yeah i used your list but i didnt mean u i mean media in general and Flavio thinking his gods gift.

You cant say that BAR is better than the Renault! Ok, top end maybe not but traction is well important.
well you see this is your prob. you here from the media that the renault, has this amazing traction. only some of this holds true. off the start they seems to work better.

but if you look @ bar times, and speed trap speeds. the bar is clearly slower in the straights (i think it was by 10mph+ in Canada) and but they hold their speed into turns better then most cars. so in the end they still have a slower lap times.

this said Renault does have the BEST car of the season.
Mclaren as the FASTEST car in the season
and BAR as the one of the FASTEST cars in the turns....

but all this means nothing...
Button isn't as good as Alonso up to this point in time.
Alonso has made history in his short career... Button hasn't
Old 07-27-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
Toronto
Regular User

I think they will have good qualifying times....
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
choudio
Regular User

alonso is the better driver, but why r u picking on jenson? u switch the cars they have driven, things would have been alot different, and jenson may have been leading the championship! alonso maybe would have won a race or 2 last yr but wouldnt "have made history"
i think u could say 90% of the drivers rnt as good as alonso, not just jenson!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
Toronto
Regular User

um the drivers don't pick the team... so if Renault wan't him, he must be doing somthing button isn't

and I am picking on JB simply because of the other thread, and 90% of the UK media over hype him

and alonso isn't the best driver out there far from it there are 2-3 other drivers out there right now that could teach him a thing or too, but he is better then most (most = Button)
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #15
sameerrao
Regular User

I think Alonso is a pretty deserving champion as is very likely to happen this year.

Why?
--> He makes very few mistakes - Canada being the only one this year.
--> He has got an excellent race pace ... can maintain consistently good lap times
--> He has demonstrated an ability to compensate for poor handling car --> note: this was hinted at by Pat symonds who pointed out a couple races where the car had a problem and still the laptime didnt fall much
--> He has improved on his weakness last year of poor qualifying - he is consistently on the Top 4 in the grid
--> He is impervious to pressure on and off the track ... he ably kept a faster Michael behind him in Imola.

Despite all this my heart goes out to poor Kimi who had about 4 certain wins taken away due to poor reliability reasons.

Kimi is more liable to mistakes as he drives like a young Schumacher - always wants to win at the fastest possible pace rather than an Alain Prost / Jackie Stewart approach of slowest possible pace. He sometimes overcooks it in qualifying due to his tendency to drive on the edge.

Kimi is as good if not better at not succumbing to pressure.

Also Kimi like Hakkinen before is the quickest driver on the grid in terms of raw speed

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote