Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #16
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
Well since I drive low powered, torque-less Toyota's... I usually build speed up and catch them while they slow down for turns and take them on the corner. Which you shouldn't do
It can work in esses on a motorcycle pretty well... but I'd run you off the road with such a catwank move.
Are we talking about a 2 lane road with dotted lines? Or a 4 lane road with 2 lanes for each way?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Well since I drive low powered, torque-less Toyota's... I usually build speed up and catch them while they slow down for turns and take them on the corner. Which you shouldn't do
It can work in esses on a motorcycle pretty well... but I'd run you off the road with such a catwank move.
Are we talking about a 2 lane road with dotted lines? Or a 4 lane road with 2 lanes for each way?
2 lane (one on each side as the Mojo made mention of) not 2 lanes per direction of traffic.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #18
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

2 lane (one on each side as the Mojo made mention of) not 2 lanes per direction of traffic.
well then, thats a different story. conditions have toperfect i.e. downhill, long straight
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #19
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

The only secret for overtaking properly is just by accelerating when the car works in a good range of power or torque, and that depends of the engine architecture; for instance its not the same a torquish supercharged turbo engine which the petrol has a lot of power from 3000 rpm, and a diesel one from 1500 rpm, or a multivalve S2000 engine which it has te power from 5500 to 8000 approximately
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
dingo
Regular User

Not enough boost in 6th at the speed limit (100) so drop it back to 4th and redline it past them.

The less time I'm in the wrong lane the better IMO so I'm not gonna cruise past them at 105.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

In general, its pretty easy to pass with the Jeep.... but this weekend, I had a different routine when passing slower traffic.

I made some pretty easy passes in an F40 the other day..... on throttle.... boost comes up VERY quickly, and your out of the way. The Ferrari likes to be in the revs... dont let it drop below 3500 really... 5th gear it feels bogged down... shifting into 2nd, and going WOT to pass must be one of the 7 deadly sins! Oh the ecstasy!

of course, make sure its clear enough!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Passing on the freeway used to be a 4th gear excercise... these days it is a 5th gear effort.

On 2 lane roads, I fall back on a 100,000 miles of sport bike riding. Make sure you can see ahead for 3 gears, downshift to car/bikes sweet spot on the rev counter - then pull out and mash the gas.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #23
acmarttin
Regular User

2-lane streets don't exist here, everything is 4 or more. 6 is the norm on major roads. Then there's streets like Vegas Blvd. (The strip) which is 8. But there is no overtaking to be done on the strip. I never go there anyway.

That said - the way I overtake is pretty textbook. Go left, throttle down.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:22 AM   #24
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by pzgren
that's very simple - pedal to the metal if the view is good
With your car it is And the sound is heavenly!
+1

I was driving back to SoCal about three months ago, and there is loonnnnngggg 1 lane(on each side) stretch of pretty much empty road(hwy 46 for us Californians). I was behind an E55 w/ an aftermarket exhaust for most of the drive and whenever he would pass I would as well and just listen to that beautiful AMG engine roar...mmmm

I just bought a CAI and am waiting to install it...I can't wait to hear that when I'm doing my passes
Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by saadie
Originally Posted by harryo2b
For me if I know the road i stay back a bit and build up my speed to a suitable passing section when needed. If it's a road I don't know i lurk close but not tailgating to the car in front and since i have enough power or pre selected the proper gear to pass i just punch it and fly right past the car. I think the most cars i've passed on a two lane road at one time was 5 in about a 500 meter distance.
no other logical way to do it ..

i've passed 13 cars in a streach of 250 meters .. beat that suckers!!
About 40 cars in about a kilometer, way over speed limit and on a stretch that overtaking is not allowed (although road is basically straight and you can se a kilometer away), in a van (VW Caravelle).
Funny thing: unmarked police car with camera recorded it. And caught me only 10 kilometers later (Caravelle has 150 and their Golf only had 90 HP). Took abou 15 minutes negotianting and 20€ tio get out of that one.
Wont tell in which country, though ...
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #26
jakaracman
Regular User

Not. But SE Europe, yes ...

mrmojo: I didnt count overtaken cars, passenegrs did. And I wrote around 40 as there were 7 of them and they couldnt agree on the number ...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #27
acmarttin
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77

Originally Posted by acmarttin
2-lane streets don't exist here, everything is 4 or more. 6 is the norm on major roads. Then there's streets like Vegas Blvd. (The strip) which is 8. But there is no overtaking to be done on the strip. I never go there anyway.

That said - the way I overtake is pretty textbook. Go left, throttle down.
4 lane roads even outside the town? I dont' overtake inside the city limits, since it's not worth it in the traffic, but on faster public roads it's the way to go.
As far as I know - the only paved roads outside of town are major highways. Vegas is in the Mojave desert so the only places a person would want to be are within city limits. I'm sure you're right though. As there are definitely roads within Clark County that I haven't driven on.