Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Zot09
Regular User

Default LA Auto Show

Hey I was wondering if anyone is heading out, or has already gone to the LA Auto Show this year? If so, how was it? If you are, and you are going on Saturday, let's meet up and have a mini JW so-cal meet!

Anyways, i'll be sure to post up pictures sometime this weekend in this forum.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
Zot09
Regular User

Here are some of the pictures I took at the show today. It was a lot of fun, but there was waaayyy too many people, and I left my Speedlite in my dorm so I had to use the flash on my camera =( Anyways, enjoy guys.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
Pehtren
Regular User

wooow nice cars and really nice pics, i think the moderators should move this to what you saw today section it deserves to be noticed

thanks for the pics 8) thanks for the M6 pics
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
spanky
Regular User

Love the picture of the F1 engine!!

Cool Pics!! Thanks
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #5
ae86_16v
Regular User

Brian, there aren't many of us in the US, much less California. If was down there I would've definitely like to go to this one. The SF International Auto Show sucks because it is ran by the dealerships instead of the factories.

Looks like the LA one is getting bigger and bigger each year.

What kind of camera were you using?

Thanks for the pics!!!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
DeMoN
Regular User

very nice pics! I have never been in one of these autoshows. Im dying to. Is there a website which lists all US autoshows in the year?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
ae86_16v
Regular User

Well the biggest one is Detriot, but now LA is coming up too.

Generally all the major metropolitan areas have at least one or two, but I think only LA and Detriot are backed by the factories.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v

Generally all the major metropolitan areas have at least one or two, but I think only LA and Detriot are backed by the factories.
Chicago and New York... but Detroit is the premier show
Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Zot09
Regular User

Brian, there aren't many of us in the US, much less California. If was down there I would've definitely like to go to this one. The SF International Auto Show sucks because it is ran by the dealerships instead of the factories.

Thanks for the pics!!!
That is true about how many of the members are not from the US, much less California. Well, hopefully someday we can have some form of meet somewhere. When is the SF Auto Show? I could deffinitly drive up there sometime if I get out of school by then. Oh, and I shoot with a Canon 20D.

I'll try to post up more pictures later!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
nthfinity
Regular User

Oh, and I shoot with a Canon 20D.
a few of us do, including myself...

i just need to invest in some higher quality lenses
Old 01-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
Zot09
Regular User

I know exactly what you mean nthfinitiy, i'm currently looking at the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 and 70-200 f/2.8L.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
I know exactly what you mean nthfinitiy, i'm currently looking at the 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 and 70-200 f/2.8L.
theres a 28-70 im looking at that has IS that looks wonderful; combined with a 70-200 IS (or mabey even 300, as the 200 is still limited...) and a 16-35 lens for some amazing wide angles.... but really, if i bought all 3 lenses; id have spent thousands and thousands... the std. 18-35 is too soft IMO but as long as your subjects are close, then its ok... but the greater distances increase the softness... which is 100x worse with my cheap telephoto 100-300... again, the distortions are barely, or not noticable at low distances.

eventually, i'll have the means to have the lenses, and the images to boot.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #13
Zot09
Regular User

I've actually considered selling my 20D and buying a Rebel XT, but I would only receive a small profit from it, so I decided not too. Photography is such an expensive hobby, but it is worth it; the ability to capture images is such an amazing thing to have.

I was considering the 16-35, but with the 1.6 focal length magnification, the image would not be all too wide. I have been holding off on the EF-S lenses because I can't use them on my 35mm, but I think I will give in and get the 10-22.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

some of the modern SLR's have lenses that are compatible with their 35mm coutnerpart... but what they dont advertise makes it a moot point.

for one, the lens only has to be good where the cmos/ccd sensors are... so i've heard that there is often greater tunneling effect, and distortion closer to the edges.

also, a quality 35mm lens will compensate for the slight curature of the film, so a digital flat sensor, the picture would appear distorted quite noticable.

so i dont blame you for being hesitant to buy new lenses... but really, the 20d is so good, i really cant see myself ever wanting to use film ever again.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:28 AM   #15
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

Chicago and New York... but Detroit is the premier show
Are those two backed by the Manufactures/Factories?

Originally Posted by Zot09

Thanks for the pics!!!
That is true about how many of the members are not from the US, much less California. Well, hopefully someday we can have some form of meet somewhere. When is the SF Auto Show? I could deffinitly drive up there sometime if I get out of school by then. Oh, and I shoot with a Canon 20D.

I'll try to post up more pictures later!
SF one is at the Moscone Center. It usually runs the week of Thanksgiving. But like I said, there are nothing special there. The Ferrari dealership and the Ferrari Car Club usually makes a good showing though.

But it is mostly production cars and daily drivers, since it is backed by the dealers, they bring out cars that they KNOW they will sell. Sucks I know.