Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Default Autocar: Audi RS4 vs BMW M3 E92

The new M3 lose another comparison against the RS4:

"Move away and the M3 flows smoothly across the ground, its tyres and suspension providing the sort of ride comfort you'd not normally associate with a BMW M car. This car, you think after a few hundred yards, is more refined in its suspension composure than some luxury cars. The RS4, by contrast, rides much more firmly to begin with and its suspension simply feels harder, less well resolved than the BMWs.

But the Audi's steering also feels sharper and more precise than the M3's and better weighted as well. The first time you attack a corner properly in the M3 you wonder for a second whether the front end is going to hang on or not, and whether the nose is going to get anywhere near the apex. There's a vagueness to both the response during turn-in and to the feel through the rim mid-corner that makes it hard to trust the M3's front end.

Quite unlike the RS4. In the Audi you know exactly where you are on the road. You brake for a corner, you turn in, you feel the increase in load through the outside front tyre via the steering wheel rim, you place the car with millimetre precision, then you drive through the corner towards the exit knowing exactly how much grip there is left to lean on. The fact the Audi will go into understeer and run wide sooner and at a lower speed than the M3 is almost irrelevant in the event. What's more important on the road is the clearer, more intelligible way in which the RS4 telegraphs its intentions. It simply means you can get more out of it without having to try as hard, even though ultimately the M3 will go around corners that tiny bit quicker."

"RS4 is better, easier & more fun to drive on daily basis - especially on harsh UK roads."

"M3 is too complicated, and too unforgiving."

"RS4 ride is more comfortable & more stable than bumpy ride in M3."

"RS4 has more space since it is a sedan."

"RS4 is more exciting inside."

"RS4 is a better compromise."
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

Holy shit. Bmw loses out to Audi and Mercedes left and right. They'd better get their shit together in Munich. Personally I'd chose the rwd M3.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
RAMMIUS
Regular User

so the order is

C63 AMG

RS4
M3

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Holy shit. Bmw loses out to Audi and Mercedes left and right. They'd better get their shit together in Munich. Personally I'd chose the rwd M3.
I think they made the M3 deliberately like this, we should wait for the hardcore CSL.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
ferrari550
Regular User

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS
so the order is

C63 AMG

RS4
M3

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
I think they made the M3 deliberately like this, we should wait for the hardcore CSL.
I agree they made the m3 like this so the CSL version would be truely amazing. But I 100% disagree with what they did. M cars are supposed to be hardcore and this just isn't. Not to take anything away from the RS4 but it was built years ago, BMW had time to take it up a notch. I also believe the c63 will beat this as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS
That cant be right. If they cant beat something 4-doors in any aspect, then that means trouble. If they would of made this M3 beat the RS4, then that means more serious business on the CSL version than it does now (after RS4 beats M3 even though M3 just came out).