Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Modern Record cars

For 60 years, automotive pioneers, and enthusiasts have been chasing world records for having the fastest car on the planet in some given categories... Lets just focus on internal combustion.

The record would belong to an American, then a Frenchman, then a Brit, then a German.... and back and forth through the 1960's and beyond...

For the sake of usability, why is it that only American cars are being tuned to the street for 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800+ hp, and using fairly original equipment motor bottom ends and heads.

Why aren't there similar numbers being made from Germany's 100 hp/liter cars, the TT Gallardo, and Murcie for that matter...

where are the 1000 ++ ++ + hp euro cars... why does it only start happening with non-domestics with the TT 6's out of Japan, and not europe?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
Norway are a small country but we do have 1000+ hp cars wich originated from Germany......

If you look into there are Ferraris out there with more 1000hp so they are out there, its just that its better to start with an cheapo American car with a high volum engine than ruining a ferrari or simular greatly engineered car....
Mercedes is the only one... yet none are record cars today. A ferrari with 1000 hp (besides a F1 engine from the 80's turbo era, or the last of the V10's)

A lot of the record breaking cars from the old era, and even now are entirely custom jobs and one-offs of an engineers own creation.

The after marketed FErraris are hardly comparable to the after market vettes vipers, Ford GT's, Mustangs, Camaro's, Hemi's etc.

Even the existing TT BMW V10 is only 800 hp.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
gangajas
Regular User

Where are the American Lotuses, Caterhams, Ariels, Radicals, X-Bows, Wiesmmans, etc.? Different philosophies, thats all.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
Where are the American Lotuses, Caterhams, Ariels, Radicals, X-Bows, Wiesmmans? Different philosophies, thats all.
we've been making our own little cars like that for ages... but since one can engineer them entirely on your own.. people build their own. I cant tell you how often I run into different guys who make their own small nimble small engined cars around Michigan.. their own fibreglass/or metal bodied cars...

want to see our version of an Ariel Atom?

1900 lbs, 450 hp

not to mention all the Factory 5, or Superformance cars.... 2000 lbs with a 300-400-500+ hp car.... why? Because we like to handle, and we like to go fast We don't have a tax code that penalizes cheap horsepower
Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

1900 lbs, 450 hp
That's more a buggy than a car, but yes it has to be fun to drive one of these.

But....I prefer a real car, engineered by profesionals, tested by profesionals, you know what I mean.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
gangajas
Regular User

Because we like to handle, and we like to go fast We don't have a tax code that penalizes cheap horsepower
Congratulations, but then I don't know why you are talking about 300.000 hp Mustangs and Camaros.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

1900 lbs, 450 hp
That's more a buggy than a car, but yes it has to be fun to drive one of these.

But....I prefer a real car, engineered by profesionals, tested by profesionals, you know what I mean.
The man who build it is a professional and those who build the other ones I spoke of are auto engineers themselves. This kind of creation isn't limited to the US, it happens all over the world. But... it happens A LOT in Michigan. The world comes to Michigan to create cars, to create new items on cars, and new technology. There is no place on earth like Michigan.. you find every, and any car here with very few exceptions. The birthplace of the affordable automobile is still the greatest asset to the automotive world. There are reasons why the european giants are headquartered here... why they have massive engineering facilities here...

yet... where are the 1000 hp Porsches? BMW's? AMG's? Peogo's? Citreon's ? MG Rovers'? Jaguars? Aston's ? Volvo's ? Yugo's ? Saab's ? Opel's ? Etc. etc. etc.

Even the tuning companies haven't taken them to that kind of level...
Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
gangajas
Regular User

The man who build it is a professional and those who build the other ones I spoke of are auto engineers themselves. This kind of creation isn't limited to the US, it happens all over the world. But... it happens A LOT in Michigan. The world comes to Michigan to create cars, to create new items on cars, and new technology. There is no place on earth like Michigan.. you find every, and any car here with very few exceptions. The birthplace of the affordable automobile is still the greatest asset to the automotive world. There are reasons why the european giants are headquartered here... why they have massive engineering facilities here...

yet... where are the 1000 hp Porsches? BMW's? AMG's? Peogo's? Citreon's ? MG Rovers'? Jaguars? Aston's ? Volvo's ? Yugo's ? Saab's ? Opel's ? Etc. etc. etc.

Maybe engineers in Europe aren't good enough. Or maybe they are too busy designing F1 cars, WRC cars...who knows?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

Maybe engineers in Europe aren't good enough. Or maybe they are too busy designing F1 cars, WRC cars...who knows?
We have had numerous americans engineering on F1 teams.... personally,, I know 2 former F1 engineers... thats just me... but truthfully, USA doesn't have a focus on F1.... thats well known... but we do great in many other prototype classes.... but most recently, Caddy failed in Le Mans for eruo prototypes... however, Lola is an american car... and have had lots of success considering how little money they are working with compared to the factory teams like Audi

oh, and while we don't do much with WRC, we have plenty of American race engineers making faster cars in Group N then in WRC

Oh...

The thing that seems to be the biggest stop against the euro's keeping up with the Yanks for world speed records is that legislation stopped easy access to cheap horsepower natively... because it used to run rampant throughout europe as well as US.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

It is amazing what a hateful bunch of cunts you euro twits are.

If someone posts about a modded [place euro kit car name here]you all piss your pants, cum in the air and shit on the table...

..but let someone post an Australian or South African or US or Brazilian or Taiwanese special and out come the insults and hate attitude.

Does living in some overtaxed shit hole where only the richest of the rich have wunderkars really make youguys so angry at all other ways that people who are the uberwealthy get to enjoy their speed?

Oh well - the losers tend to be the haters
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
Mattk
Regular User

I see nthfinity's point here. Why does everyone else like lots of horses? But like gangajas said, it's a matter of philosophy. European cars may not have horsepower, but their cars are still good, just in a different way.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #12
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
It is amazing what a hateful bunch of cunts you euro twits are.

If someone posts about a modded [place euro kit car name here]you all piss your pants, cum in the air and shit on the table...

..but let someone post an Australian or South African or US or Brazilian or Taiwanese special and out come the insults and hate attitude.

Does living in some overtaxed shit hole where only the richest of the rich have wunderkars really make youguys so angry at all other ways that people who are the uberwealthy get to enjoy their speed?

Oh well - the losers tend to be the haters
You are completely right. There are a lot of prejudices in Europe about "foreing" cars.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
Kulstad
Regular User

Different philosophies. Most people have small economical cars to
drive everyday, you guys have trucks. Americans enthusiasts are
more into bursts of acceleration (or quarter mile races), europeans
are more into top speed (or long highway races). American roads
are more straight and larger, we have smaller roads and more
corners. And so on.

Japanese sport cars are much cheaper then the european
counterparts. Also even if those 1000hp+ cars are tuned for the
street, they must be a real pain to drive around I imagine.
Kulstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
I dont understand in what way people have been hatfull cunts in this thread....

No need to make every thread a namecalling contest.....
Lets see.... a superb track day weapon is displayed and becuas eit is not european it is automatically shit...

oh - and if only it was limited to just "this thread" - it is an actual way of life you folks have in europe... US car hating is an actual sport over there.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #15
cooperluke
Regular User

I also don't see any point in worrying so much with the HP. The cars I've driven that given me most fun to drive are around 150hp or less... but very light and nimble!!

You americans like raw power, I think it's very good, but here we just don't worry so much about that.

Different cultures, diversity makes the world., no problem at that, we don't have all to like the same things, he only need to accept them and RESPECT, that is one thing I see is lacking in this thread...

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote