Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default V10 Audi R8 captured on video: awesome engine note

Audi plans to get around the overheating problem by adding a NACA duct as seen on the R8 V12 TDI Le Mans concept and the Avus concept. And says TTRS, the name, cannot be used because Porsche won't let them.

They told us it would never happen, but it now seems that, contrary to earlier reports from senior Audi bosses, next year’s even hotter R8, the RS8, will get the same twin-turbocharged, 572bhp V10 as the RS6 super-saloon.

That stands to turn Audi's mid-engined sports car into the fastest road-going model ever to wear the four silver rings, and, curiously enough, a genuine treat to in-house rivals the Porsche 911 GT2 and Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4. With that kind of firepower to call upon, expect the car to crack 62mph in less than 4.0 seconds, 100mph in around 8.5sec, and to top out way beyond 200mph.

In conversation with Swedish journalists last year, and prompted by questions about RS8 prototypes being destroyed by fire at the Nordscheife in 2006, Quattro GmbH boss Werner Froweim had been quoted as saying that Audi could not provide enough cooling for the twin-turbocharged V10 in the R8’s engine bay.

He went to on explain that the car would receive a new, fast-revving 5.2-litre V10 built up around the existing 4.2-litre V8 used by the current R8 and outgoing RS4.

However, it now seems that Audi’s engineers have made a breakthrough allowing them to successfully install the RS6's monster twin-turbo V10 under the R8’s engine cover.
Head of Audi powertrain development Wolfgang Hatz confirmed as much to Autocar only last weekend. “The car is now signed off, and will appear during the second quarter of 2009,” he said. “I can’t say much about it until then,” he went on – but he did confirm the car’s engine origins.

Cool as a cucumber
“The cooling is no problem now," he said, referring to the extra cooling design work done for the V12 TDi concept; that will also appear on the V10, it seems, and provides an extra 20 per cent of cold air to the radiators, as well as including the option of a NACA-style roof air vent for the turbos too.

“Why would we spend money developing a whole new engine for this car, when we already have such a good one,” Hatz continued.

Further confirmation of the decision came recently, when Micheal Dick, Audi board member for product engineering, responded to a question about why the firm has its most powerful engine in anything other than its most highly revered sports car. “Be patient,” he said simply.

TTRS confirmed, but to get new name
It has also emerged that the forthcoming TTRS, due for a 340bhp 2.5-litre five-pot engine and to arrive in 2010, can not be called TTRS. “Porsche has the monopoly on the ‘RS’ model suffix in the VW Group,” a source told us. “Audi can only use it as a prefix, as in ‘RS6’.
-Autocar

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 05-14-2008 at 05:36 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Bernardo
Regular User

I knew It.

Even tho JC said that the R8 would never have an V10, there It is.
I just can't belive how good this feels...such a good move IMHO, I was hoping for that since the begining of those speculations.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
I knew It.

I just can't belive how good this feels...such a good move IMHO, I was hoping for that since the begining of those speculations.
As if Jeremy Clarkson ever was a good source for news.

I hope Porsche doesn't actively limit Audi's product planning, though.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
I knew It.

I thought this was sort of expected. I have been under the impression for some time that the introduction of the V10 was a given, and just a matter of time.
Can't wait
Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
gobs3z
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
I thought this was sort of expected. I have been under the impression for some time that the introduction of the V10 was a given, and just a matter of time.
Can't wait
The question was whether it would be a turbo or not, and from what they previously said it was going to be an NA V-10, but this might be overdoing it in terms of weight.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

It's going to be a naturally aspired V10. 5.2L around 500hp
We're told this is a pre-production mule being loaned out to trusted current R8 owners
Not so trustworthy it seems.

The R8 might get a facelift by the time the V10 version comes out? Or is the bumper treatment and the new headlamp assembly exclusive to the V10 version? Only time will tell...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I decree that all Audi R8s be only equipped with V10 from this day forward.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Bernardo
Regular User

I was hoping for the R8 TDI concept interior..To make It at least a bit more special from the normal R8, but as this Is a mule, there will be probably a few changes to the body and interior of the car I hope..

But I wonder..the actual R8 is great..so why bother making a V10 version with only 80hp more? They could use the RS6 twin-turbo V10..oh wait..I guess thats not exactly what porsche wants right? I wonder how far will porsche detune Audi productes now.

Last edited by Bernardo; 05-14-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote