Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #121
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson
You can hardly call him an experienced driver,
And you know his because... he told you so?

I have met sports car and super car owners, who while not actual revenue earning professional racing drivers, still have 1000's and 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of laps at vairous race tracks in various cars.

Perhaps this gent is one such person.

As shocking as it may sound, some super addicted track junky sports/supercar owners put down 5000 or more laps a year at track days - and then even many hundreds more racing in some sports car leagues/series - surely this begins to qualify people as "experienced drivers.

Oh - btw, these are the folks Porsche and Ferrari build their "entry level race cars" (GT3, GT3RS & CS's etc) for - not the autobahn and Starbucks crowd.

So - back on topic ..... there are MANY folks who have so much experience they can jump into a car and after a few minutes begin to come to grips with how a car works and then apply thewir experience and knowldge to thrashing it - and perhaps they may, within a few minutes of driving it, expose some not-so-savoury flaws...

This video of the Macca F1 may very well be such an example..... or it may not... but I am going to guess it probably is.... until someone proves otherwise...
Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 AM   #122
rave426
Regular User

Well Martin Brundle or whatever likes the handling for the most part.............its a repost but its right here:

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42319

The F1 is at the VEEEEEEEEERRY END :roll:
Old 08-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #123
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by Svensson
You can hardly call him an experienced driver,
And you know his because... he told you so?

I have met sports car and super car owners, who while not actual revenue earning professional racing drivers, still have 1000's and 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of laps at vairous race tracks in various cars.

Perhaps this gent is one such person.

As shocking as it may sound, some super addicted track junky sports/supercar owners put down 5000 or more laps a year at track days - and then even many hundreds more racing in some sports car leagues/series - surely this begins to qualify people as "experienced drivers.

Oh - btw, these are the folks Porsche and Ferrari build their "entry level race cars" (GT3, GT3RS & CS's etc) for - not the autobahn and Starbucks crowd.

So - back on topic ..... there are MANY folks who have so much experience they can jump into a car and after a few minutes begin to come to grips with how a car works and then apply thewir experience and knowldge to thrashing it - and perhaps they may, within a few minutes of driving it, expose some not-so-savoury flaws...

This video of the Macca F1 may very well be such an example..... or it may not... but I am going to guess it probably is.... until someone proves otherwise...
Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions....

This whole topic started with the assumption of Nth that this guy could actually drive, without as single shred of proof. But, seeing the guy slamming the gas as a madman makes me and others think otherwise. It was also posted and applauded as the ultimate proof the F1 can't handle.

However, I take the positive opinion of known capable drivers over a shitty video showing some random guy going nuts behind the wheel of a McLaren, which Nth sees as "the ultimate proof" the McLaren can't handle..

So the "And you know his because... he told you so" routine applies to the starter of this topic.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #124
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
for the record, I didn't make any topics in Fchat about the F1. I mearly replied to an existing topic... which has been dead for a good 6 or 7 months now.
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37495

Ok, so you started it at page 2. Big fucking deal, it still was a lame attempt. BTW, look at the owners comment at page 5.

According to a long time F-chat member he's legit (page 6).

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...t=97397&page=5
Old 08-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #125
nthfinity
Regular User

Lotus, you are a broken record... thankfully, I wont resort to your same stupidity.

Originally Posted by pitfield
Originally Posted by pitfield
loving how much coke that guy and his missus had just snorted in the car park before going into the McLaren showroom, off their heads.
and you are basing this off of what?

you seriously have some serious issues.

Am i looking for attention? no.

This is a valid debate.

thanks Lotus, i had thought the engine was a special development specifically for the F1; and not based off another car.

BTW McLarenboy, what are you basing this opinion on?
.....on the fact that I would like one in white with black wheels you knob.
again, what are you basing anything you write on? calling me a knob doesn't help your "they snort coke" argument
Old 08-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #126
jorge
Regular User

Old 08-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #127
pagani
Regular User

Here is newer video of dan driving the car.
And he even has the car under control no bad handling.
I kown this video is a repost but it can help with this topic.
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...covery+Channel
Old 08-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #128
LotusGT1
Regular User

Lotus, you are a broken record... thankfully, I wont resort to your same stupidity.
You can't back up your flawed logic. Thankfully I'm not the only one that notices it. See you in a month, where you will probably start another pointless topic with "the ultimate proof". Get over it.

:roll:
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #129
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Found this...covers it pretty well

In corners, it is not as stable as Ferrari huge-wing F50, nor as grippy as Bugatti's 4WD EB110. Despite the rigid carbon fiber monocoque structure, F1's tiny dimension, lightness and relatively lack of down force cannot cope with its huge torque and acceleration at some circumstances, e.g., powering at low gear through slow corner. In such case, tyre slips or even the lost of rear end (oversteer) may occur. In fact, 2 of the 4 early development cars were crashed by the heads of McLaren and BMW Motorsport during testing.

At low speed, the short travel of throttle pedal make slight output hard to be precisely controlled. Any slightly more step would suddenly increase the power. In this respect, a precision foot is needed. Besides, steering tends to understeer at low speed. At higher speed, down force builds up and the car become more stable and the steering become more neutral.

To extract all its potential out, you need to be a more-than-average driver, and have some practice to get used to its character. Once you have learned the secret of controlling driving line by precise co-operation of throttle and steering, your F1 will corner fast and secure and leave all other supercars behind.

Seems to explain why Tiff thought it handled brilliantly, and Jeremy didn't like it so much
so to drive it well you need to be a "more-than-average driver". sorry but thats just plain stupid... "not stable" and "not grippy" can't mean "great handling car"...

it should be more like "Once you have learned the secret of controlling driving line by precise co-operation of throttle and steering, taken many hours of drving classes, stuck a big wing on it and modified the aerodynamics, your F1 will corner fast and secure and leave all other supercars behind."
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #130
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani
Here is newer video of dan driving the car.
And he even has the car under control no bad handling.
I kown this video is a repost but it can help with this topic.
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...covery+Channel
Off topic:

That video is some cool eye candy but is a very poor information source.

It is a terrible produciton.

The narration is the type of crap so-called car experts spew all the time - it makes it sound like no car maker even thought of a sports car before the Macca, and would have you believe that others like the Phantom or Maybach are the first cars to ever be uber-luxurious.

It comes across as a propaganda/PR show for the makers showcased.

Poor factual presentation, but nice eyecandy viewing.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #131
jadeddjay
Regular User

yea i liked the angles and the shots of the cars in regular traffic... that dude in the f1 though is such a cocky prick... the enzo guy is so much more mature about it.

back to topic:
i think its funny that in the video he doesnt seem to be too unimpressed with the handling of the car... lol
Old 08-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #132
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
so to drive it well you need to be a "more-than-average driver". sorry but thats just plain stupid... "not stable" and "not grippy" can't mean "great handling car"...
The car can be a handful at its limits, but it's not unstable or lacking grip as you seem to imply...

As an owner says...

Originally Posted by jenmara
As the owner of at least one McLaren F1 and the past owner of an Enzo I can tell you from personal experience that there is no comparison between the two cars.

The Enzo is crude, noisy, uncomfortable and an absolute horror to drive for any length of time. While the car does perform on the track I doubt there are many out there who would ever get the opportunity to use it in that fashion. I signed an agreement with Ferrari not to sell the car for one year, and I counted down all 365 days till I could say goodbye.

The F1 on the other hand is an absolute joy to drive. Every time I go for a drive I wish it was not over. It is a pleasure in every sense of the word.

I have had an opportunity to drive the Bugatti and it is a wonderful automobile. The performance, particularly the transmission, is spectacular. The only comment I would make between the Bugatti and the F1 is that the Bugatti weighs about twice as much, and you feel it. One of the beauties of the F1 is how light it is. With no power steering or other assists, you really never feel the need.

The modern car which comes closest to the F1 in driving pleasure is the Porsche Carrera Gt. It could use a system like the Enzo to raise the front.

In summary there is nothing that comes close to the F1, and I think the Bugatti proves that with the current laws, nothing ever will again.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:42 AM   #133
pagani
Regular User

The mclaren f1 is just to hardcore only for the very best drivers.
Maby a gt wing and better brakes than this would be perfection.
I agree complety whit you lotusgt1.
8)
Old 08-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #134
nthfinity
Regular User

As an owner says...
i can't help but notice this quote makes no mention about the handling balance of the car.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #135
rave426
Regular User

^^ Nth is determined on this one.

Everybody might as well quit, because it looks like the procecutor and the defense are both fucking the the judge.

Nobody will win.............