Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 11-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Default Bandwith Restrictions in a Network

OK, I'm starting to get really pissed about my schools bw restrictions...cant dl at any more than 128kb/sec, which isnt that bad..I'm not complaining..but I was spoiled before and had a much much faster connection...and I cant upload hardly at all...tried to send a vid over msn and it would have taken a year....I dont know much at all about these kind of network setups at schools..so this may be a stupid question..but they block certain web pages and I get around that with a proxy server..so I thought maybe there could be a way I could change the limit that I DL but especially UL, I would love to be able to share some videos...any suggestions or ideas would be great, Thanks!
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:40 AM   #2
jamberl
Regular User

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I think unless you talk to network admin you are not gonna have much luck! Are you friends with anyone in charge of the network?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:41 AM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

I highly doubt u can get around the DL limit coz that's set per IP given to u by school server. UL speed maybe partially caused my MSN itself. You may try some middleman transfer solution like YouSendIt or Gmail, if the UL speed still sux badly, that means there's no hope for u.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:46 AM   #4
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

I'm definitely going to talk to the network administrator, b/c there is no reason why we have a hugely fast connection and I'm not able to use hardly any of it.

BTW, I know how much speed I'm losing b/c the first few days I was at school I was DL from JW at over 1MB/sec ....at a minium...I have no idea what connection that would be or whatever but I just know thats damn fast and its retarted that its restricted...especially since it costs $38,000 a year to go here...
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
jamberl
Regular User

Considering that you're not using the connection for 'school related purposes' they are probably not going to be sympathetic.

It sucks but is probably true